Dalmation info please

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Theo400

Dalmation info please

Post by Theo400 »

Hi Everyone

as you may know I am looking to add a second dog to my household but want to find the right dog for Theo. my next-door neighbour were I have moved is the breeder of the Dalmatian and has recently had a litter of puppies and let me have a look at them from another room so I don't disturb mom and pups as she was feeding them and licking some of them clean I think. anyway she has offered me a pup if I want as she always sees me going running every morning but I don't take Theo, I have tried training him to run with me but he just is not interested he just lies down :lol: . and running is a hobbies of mine as I run marathons every year and run every morning for 30mins sometimes longer and she runs with her in the afternoon and said that they (Dalmatian) were bred to run. I took Theo round on Friday and he got on sooooooo well with her adult dogs mainly the females :wink: . he was allowed to see the puppies from a window outside and was sniffing the glass and seemed very interested which was a shock and he got on very well with mom when she was allowed out for a rest when the puppies were sleeping and had, had there feed. Theo actually did not want to leave as he really liked mom and she got on well with him and were playing non stop. she has said I can have a female as since as Theo seems to like the mom and he can meet the one I choose at 6weeks. the thing is I have been reading up on them and apparently I would be lucky if the puppy can hear as it says online that only 6% of Dal's can hear and it is a problem in the breed. and this worries me. she has told me they will be raised in the home (which they were in the kitchen as she is always in there) she also sleeps on a camp bed in the kitchen until they are 5 weeks old so she can keep an eye on them and mom over night. she has already started playing a CD on low volume which has all different sound on it like babies crying, fireworks, fire alarm, traffic, wind, rain, thunder, lightning, boats, trains, other dogs barking etc.. and she will increase over a period of time so the pups get more confidant to the noise. when they are 5 weeks and have had there first Jab they will be exposed to the TV, washing machine hoover and other animals (they have cats and rabbits) the other dogs and will be allowed to go outside. they will be handled every day and will be cuddled and played with. she said that all pups will come with 6 weeks insurance, a week supply of raw food (she said she will be weaning them on to raw food), toy or blanket with moms scent on, 5 generation pedigree (which I have already seen proof of as I asked to see it as well as mom and dad health test results which I have seen the originals not copies),a copy of mom and dads health test results, contract of sale and breed book and a puppy handbook, Kc registration papers. she will also have her first Jab, be micro chipped, at 7 weeks will be BAER hearing tested and will have endorsement's on her so I can not sell her abroad and I cant breed from her not that I would do either of those things. The KC and the BAER papers she said I will have the originals not a copy.

Mom- Health test

BAER test - +/+ ( clear/ she's not deaf)
hip score- 1/4=5
elbow score= 0/0 =0
PRA = clear/ unaffected
SD2 (dwarfism)= clear
CNM= Hereditary clear
Eye examination= Unaffected

dads health results

BAER test- +/+ / clear
hip score- 0/0= 0
elbow score 0/0=0
PRA=unaffected/ clear
SD2=clear
CNM= Hereditary clear
Eye examination= unaffected
HUU= clear

they are they health results and I saw the prober documentation not copies. with mom and dad clear from deafness and she would be tested herself at 7 weeks would she be likely to still become deaf? is it really that common as Theo seems to really like this breed and I am considering having one as she really socialize the puppies and they do get a good upbringing and a lot of Love and care.

what do you think? as im worried about training a deaf dog as I have never done it before.

Many thanks
Theo and Sarah :)
Erica

Re: Dalmation info please

Post by Erica »

I think the figure is 70% hearing, not 6%! And with clear BAER scores for the parents, it's likely the pups will be all or mostly hearing. It is good that the breeder will test the pups too. If you can provide them with lots of exercise and socialization they could be a great dog - I haven't had one but sister was asking about them (for the far future) and from what I found they can be a bit nervous. Having met the parents, though, you can get a better idea of the pup's possible temperament. They also shed a lot but with a GSD I'm sure you're used to that ;)

From what you've said they sound like they will be raised well.

Edit: this website seems to be a good explanation of Dal deafness: http://www.ufaw.org.uk/DEAFNESSDALMATION.php
Last edited by Erica on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

If pup passes BAER test, she will not become deaf except possibly as a very old dog, in the way most old dogs do. I would not recommend you get a deaf puppy.

Breeder sounds to be doing the right things. Have you asked her about dalmatian temperament and trainability? The other main health issue concerns bladder crystals, so I suggest you research. Some lines are now clear of this tendency.

5 weeks is far far too young to have the first jab. They still have maternal immunity then. This makes me uneasy.

Dalmatians have big mouths and are big strong dogs with a marked guarding instinct. Are you happy to manage this?

Also think about your future, and where you will be in five, in ten years' time. Will you still be able to look after a big dog that needs a lot of exercise? No need to tell us - just think about it.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi Erica

thank you so much for your reply. I knew 6% was not right. thank goodness for this form. the parents have lovely temperaments and very well trained. they were both very friendly and the mom kept coming up to me dropping her tennis ball for me to throw again and all her Dal's were polite with Theo which I was so happy that Theo was happy with them.
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi Nettle

Thank you very much for your reply. to what you have said I can 100% say yes to all of them. when you say they have guarding tendencies do you mean in the same way as a GSD that they can be protective of there owners and need a LOT of socializing as I still socialize Theo and he will nearly Three so I know how to handle a dog like that and know how to be firm but fair in training. as since as she should not be deaf with both parents having clear results I will say yes and will get a Dal.

Many thanks
Sarah and Theo
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1/h/u2o5 ... &safe=1&zw

here is a pic of the pups a day old they were born last Wednesday. :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I think dalmatians can need a low purine diet which may make feeding raw more tricky - I don't know if this applies to all dals or just those affected though. Doubtless the breeder will be well informed about this.

I met a lovely dal ***** today who is an ex-breeding & show *****. Delightful calm temperament, good with other dogs, not fazed by anything :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi JudyN

thanks for the info. the breeder did tell me this she said that 2 of her dals are on a low purine diet and the rest are fine but she does check there PH levels as she said that even though she has never had a Dal have crystals form in the urine track she said you can never be to careful as she put it each dog is different and has told me that a low Purine diet helps prevent the crystals from forming. she still feeds raw though she said that Nutriment raw dog food does a low Purine one and her dogs love it, if my own Dal ever needed a Low Purine diet. here's a link http://www.nutriment.co/low-purine-phosphorus-formula/
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

She does sound a good responsible breeder.

Dals are probably related to the old Talbot hounds of long ago, which were hunting dogs, and then a few centuries later became carriage dogs as in they would trot between the rear wheels of horse-drawn vehicles and be prepared to guard the vehicle and occupants from thieves. That is the slant of their guardiness. While you may not :lol: be wanting a guard against highwaymen, you will have a protector. Incidentally there are still competitions where dals are shown with horse drawn vehicles, and you should look these up as they are fun to watch.

They are nicely-made dogs and as your breeder lives close by you have a mentor for any diet or health issues that may occur, and it sounds as if her dogs are well-behaved too, which bodes well for future training. With a GSD in the family you are used to the protective temperament. It's all sounding good.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi Nettle

thanks for the info. very interesting. I have 100% decided to go ahead and have a female puppy. and I keep you updated. when I have brought her home at 8 weeks I will open a new post with pics of her and maybe some videos! :D

Many thanks
Theo and Sarah