Picky eating?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Picky eating?

Post by Erica »

Delta's been a bit of a butt lately with eating. For about the past week, instead of eating he will sniff his food, then go shove a tennis ball under the sofa, paw at it, and try to make me get it out. I give him about 15-20 minutes, while I eat, then I pick the food up and put it away. It doesn't seem to make much difference if it's thawed or frozen.

Normally my first thought would be "vet visit," but in all other respects he's acting normal. Still loads of energy, will eat treats, will try to steal Opal's food, chews on bully sticks and antlers and bison horns, and plays with/eats the kibble from his food toys. He's eliminating fairly normally too, for the reduced amount he seems to be eating. About every third meal I'll have some success getting him to eat. He did eat about half of yesterday's dinner, didn't eat this morning, and did eat a bit tonight. He chewed the bony bits off of a chicken - the wing tips and the ends of the drumsticks - but he wouldn't touch the meat, even if I cut a chunk off for him, or peeled the skin back to expose the meat.

He does seem to go through phases every now and again where he loses interest in his meals, but not other food. Should I just wait it out?
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Re: Picky eating?

Post by Nettle »

As he is eliminating normally and seems in good spirits, I would suspect it's a developmental thing. My own types go through several picky phases and I just make sure all is functioning properly otherwise and let them work through it. I believe (with no proof apart from experience) that when hormones start flooding, the appetite goes.

Check if someone is sneakily feeding him, though, or if he has found some food to pinch.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

Thanks! :)

Normally we're very good about keeping food off the counters/out of dogs' reach, because Onyx, then Marble, then Delta would all happily take any unattended food, and I don't think my parents would sneak food to him; they have permission to give him nibbles of dog safe food as rewards for good behavior, but since he's usually only out and about when I'm there to supervise him, there's not much opportunity for that to add up.

He did happily eat a chicken quarter today, but only after I picked the chicken up from the floor and started breaking it down to put most of it in the freezer so it wouldn't go bad. He got upset (not really the right word but best I can think of) about me having the chicken on the counter and not giving it to him, so when I put a leg in his bowl he ate it. Is it a bad idea to try to use this to motivate him to eat? Like, bring his food bowl to the kitchen, spend a few minutes faffing around with the food so he thinks I'm doing something special, and then put it down for him? I don't want this to become a habit :/ nor do I want him to not eat.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Personally I wouldn't faff, but you might try just giving a small piece of food. Have you checked his teeth?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

He doesn't hesitate to bite toys, or chew on hooves/bully sticks, so I don't think it's his teeth. I did take a peek and they appear normal to me.

He did eat tonight, after I dabbed a little bit of barbecue sauce on the food, so that's good!