Cut pad

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Cut pad

Post by JudyN »

Jasper has a small cut on a pad - same foot as the infected nail bed (which is OK now) but different toe :roll:

It's not bad - it only bled on the first day - but he is limping on it today so I'm worried that there may be some infection. Time will tell. It's certainly not bad enough to need vet attention at the moment.

I've been washing his foot in hibiscrub after walks, but I also have some little rubber semi-disposable bootees which I haven't used yet, and I'm wondering if it's worth putting one on him for walks to keep the dirt out? Or at least, trying to put one on... :wink: I've also read that you can use 'Musher's Secret' as an 'invisible boot' - I do have some, so would this be an easier and effective option?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
JudyN

Re: Cut pad

Post by JudyN »

I thought I might as well try it out anyway, so we know if it'll work when it's really needed:

The ankle bit is really narrow and OH did struggle a bit to put it on Jasper, while I distracted him. I'm not sure I'd be so keen putting it on him myself. But after the initial 'I can't possibly walk, there's a THING on my foot,' he was fine and walked without a problem. It was only a 10-minute stroll but so far the bootee has stood up to it and can be used again.

I do think purple's his colour :wink:
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

I can offer no advice but I just wanted to say that he looks lovely in his purple bootie! :mrgreen:
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

It kinda suits him doesn't it? :lol:

Must be something in the air, P seems to have hurt his left front paw too! OH walked him day before yesterday and apparently he yelped and held his paw up briefly, OH had a look but didn't see anything and he carried on walking fine so figured he'd just stepped on something. Now P is made of sturdier stuff than Jasper I think, we've only ever heard him yelp twice in his life and generally he won't even acknowledge that he might be in pain.. (Nothing like J's sensitive and sympathy-seeking ways :lol: )
He walked and ran fine yesterday apart from stopping once lifting his paw again but then carried on walking normally, however last night after sleeping for a few hours he kept lifting it off the floor when he got up, he doesn't limp when walking and only licked it very briefly but kept holding it off the floor so something must be bothering him.
I can't see or feel any cuts or anything lodged between toes or pads, tho he's not at all happy about me touching it but then again he's not good with his feet being fiddled with at the best of times.. I did manage to soak it in salt water for about a minute this morning so hopefully that will help, I'm just starting to worry a little as he's still not wanted to go for a walk today which is pretty much unheard of for him. There is no swelling and it's not hot, I'm not sure if maybe he's pulled or twisted something hence it was more uncomfortable/ stiff after sleeping?

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread Judy, just figured you may get some advice that I can use too :P Hope that gorgeous Jasper feels better soon
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Hijack away Sanna, it's all front-left paw related! (If it was Precious's right paw you'd have to start a different thread of course :wink: :lol: )

I hope Precious mends soon. Jasper tends to pull his feet sharply away if I touch them lightly but if I then hold them firmly but gently he'll relax. It's a bit like me - I never thought I could tolerate a foot massage as my feet are so ticklish, but done properly, it's bliss!
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

JudyN wrote:Hijack away Sanna, it's all front-left paw related! (If it was Precious's right paw you'd have to start a different thread of course :wink: :lol: )
Well of course, that goes without saying ;) :lol:
I hope Precious mends soon. Jasper tends to pull his feet sharply away if I touch them lightly but if I then hold them firmly but gently he'll relax. It's a bit like me - I never thought I could tolerate a foot massage as my feet are so ticklish, but done properly, it's bliss!
See P is exactly the opposite (yes we need to work on that)- he doesn't mind me lightly touching and feeling his feet but a slightly firmer grip he can't pull away from immediately makes him pretty grumpy, pretty quickly :roll:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Sanna wrote:See P is exactly the opposite
When it comes to dogs, there's never going to be 'one size fits all', is there? :lol: