my New rough collie puppy

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Theo400

my New rough collie puppy

Post by Theo400 »

Hi Everyone

I am so Excited to tell you that on the 9th of may I will be brining my second puppy into my life. after thinking VERY careful about what breed and temperament would suit Theo's I chose the Rough Collie. I will be brining Jasper home in May when he's 8 weeks. I will be seeing him in April when he's 4 weeks old this is the breeder and litter http://www.champdogs.co.uk/litter/36199 .

I do have one thing to ask is it true that Rough collies don't really have a teenage stage or are a lot calmer than say a GSD. ( was told at crufts)
Nettle

Re: my New rough collie puppy

Post by Nettle »

All dogs - all mammals - probably sentient non-mammmals as well - have a teenage stage.

'Calm' is not a word I'd use to describe Rough Collies, but they are probably calmer than some other breeds. Obviously you have done your homework and are happy with the temperament of this litter. :) Good luck.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Good choice of name :wink:

I've got an enormous soft spot for rough collies - my parents got a two-year-old collie ***** when I was four (they went out looking for a small-breed male puppy... :lol: ). She was very calm and gentle. She could get anxious though - when my younger brother was born, if he started to cry she would get concerned and go and fetch my mum :lol:

My in-laws had a rough collie, and he was very different - he could be quite nervous and unpredictable. Heaven help you if you sneezed right next to him, he didn't like people sneezing :shock:

So I think the temperament of the parents is the vital factor. Good luck, and make sure your camera is charged up and ready, we'll need photos!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I love rough collies, had one growing up. They are a sensitive, devoted breed that are generally very smart and willing. I am very happy for you and eager to see some photo's when you get your Jasper home with you. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

How long are the dogs tending to live on both sides of the pedigree? Cancer is common in the breed, plus weird quirks like not wanting to walk on slippery surfaces.
Next door have had 3 in succession while we have lived here, two dying of cancer at 8, the 3rd going OK at 11. All of them rather ploddy by my standards but I like crazy dogs. Obedient though, and a good, calm pet with minimal exercise needs. Wouldn't even think of trying to jump the 2ft barrier at the side of the house.
I often see someone else who has had up to 3 of them at a time when I'm walking my dogs and I've never seen them break out of a walk.
So much grooming needed though.
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi Everyone

Im not sure about the whole line but I know one of her dogs at the age of 8 but does not say why. she also has 3 litters from 3 different dogs at the moment. unfournatly I no longer will be having one and am utterly devastated. I was worried that this might happen as me and Theo went to meet her dogs as she wanted to meet Theo, now even though Theo is good with any breed of dog he has only been in the house and lived with three breeds and they seem to be his favourites my moms GSD's , my brothers Lab and my friends Jack Russell. lets just say he did not like the collies and I could see this and Decided for both the collie pup and Theo that it would not be a good idea to bring one home. she fully understood.

the thing is the reason I was even thinking of having another dog was because of Theo as he gets very Upset when we leave relatives when iv stayed as he seems to miss the company of another dog and is so much happier when he is at my moms or my brothers. so I decided maybe I should get another dog as I would love to be a tow dog family. however I have been thinking about breeds and I am not a small dog person I do love them but I prefer bigger dogs which leaves me with the lab or another GSD. I am leaning towards the GSD as he LOVES my moms dogs and I am not a fan of my brothers Lab.

I will let you know what I decide and keep you posted
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That's a shame - but better to back out now than make a mistake and take home a pup Theo doesn't take to.

If Theo isn't easy-going with every dog, it might be he won't be easygoing with an irritating puppy of any breed. Have you considered a rescue dog? Then Theo can meet them beforehand and you can walk them together - if one of your reasons for getting another dog is for Theo's benefit, it makes sense for him to help you choose.

There are good and bad rescues. The ideal is for one which fosters dogs out so they live in a home environment. And steer free of any rescue that doesn't insist on a homecheck and wants to know as much about you as you want to know about the dog.
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi

JudyN - interesting I never thought of a rescue. I would most defiantly be interested would dogs trust and battasea dogs and cats home be considered good.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I don't know what their reputations are like, so couldn't say. There's one rescue in the north of England I can recommend unreservedly, and that is Lurcher Link. Obviously, they only deal with lurchers (and occasionally other sighthounds) - but who knows, you could find a lurcher just right for Theo and you.

Hopefully others will know more about Dogs Trust and Battersea, or other rescues in your are.
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

JudyN wrote:There are good and bad rescues. The ideal is for one which fosters dogs out so they live in a home environment.
This is really good advice as dogs who are kept in kennels can develop some serious issues and because they spend very little time with the people who work there they often are unaware of those issues so will not be able to tell you as much about the dogs personality as a foster home would be. Also dogs who have been in kennels can be shut down from the stress so you may not see their true personality for a few weeks after you take them home ( this can also be true for dogs in foster upon coming to a new home but not usually as severe as a kenneled dog can be).

I don't think Dogs Trust use fosterers but I've no idea if Battersea do or not.

I do think that it would be worth looking into an adult dog as you will have a good idea of their personality and how Theo feels about them. He would more likely do better with a nice lady dog than he would with an annoying puppy :mrgreen:
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi

JudyN- thanks for the link will check it out.

WufWuf- I was thinking female as my moms dogs are all females.

since my last post I have been looking on websites and my local RSPCA is rehoming a female Great Dane, she is 5mounths and will be spayed she is not in kennels and is still living with her previous owners as they want to meet the new owners to be sure that she gets a good home. they are rehoming her as they show Great Danes and she is the youngest and new member of the show team however they are rehoming her because she just does not like the show scene and seems more relaxed and happy when she is at home with the other dogs. so as she dose not liked to be showed they are rehoming her. I was thinking of phoning up and enquiring. she is fine with other dogs and loves cats and other small furies and is relaxed around children.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You do realise GDs have a very short lifespan?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS