chewing

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

meggit

chewing

Post by meggit »

ok tilly is a chewer shes eaten a corner of the kitchen cupboard i need to find a way to change this before it gets worse as i have two dogs i cant leave stuffed kongs when i leave them as i dont want to promote food guarding issues as ive just found a way round that with their dinners, there are always toys left for them to chew or play with, the no chew shop bought stuff is apparently really really nice as she will lick it off anything its sprayed on ive tried two different brands so far i am reluctant to crate train her as i think it would be to much of a temptation for others in the house to lock the pup away rather than have the responsibility of watching her
JudyN

Re: chewing

Post by JudyN »

Have you tried Grannick's Bitter Apple spray? I tried one chew deterrant with Jasper that he thought was delicious, but Grannick's worked.

You need to make sure she has had enough mental & physical exercise so she's more likely to rest when you're out. If she's teething, she might also like frozen flannels to chew on (soak in water, twist to wring the excess water out, then freeze the twisted flannel).

But crating might be the only answer, and it would be useful for her to be crate trained anyway - if she was injured she might need crate rest, if Buddy was ill or injured you would have to stop them trying to play with each other, and if you did have any issues with their relationship it would give you the ability to keep them apart. As long as you know that she is getting enough attention overall, it would be better for her to be in her crate while you're out rather than the rest of the family not bother to watch her and let her practise all sorts of unwanted behaviour, and it also means you can leave her with a frozen kong or similar. An alternative to a crate would be an x-pen, of course.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
meggit

Post by meggit »

thanks judy i think it is going to have to be a crate but its not something i have ever considered so i know nothing about it, how to get her used to it or anything ah well i will have to go through the site looking for crate training thanyou again
minkee

Post by minkee »

Also if she has chew toys but she's not interested in chewing them... well then they're not really chew toys! She says so :)

Have you tried bully sticks? They were an absolute life saver for me when my puppy was in his chewy stage. I've never known a dog to not love them. You could also try Kongs. Mine have never chewed on them but plenty of dogs do. If you fill them with something really tempting then hopefully she'll get the idea.

Basically, she's telling you she has this uncontrollable desire to chew! So it's your job to find something appropriate that she's allowed to and also WANTS to chew on.

Bully sticks are also called pizzle sticks in some places
meggit

Post by meggit »

went for new chewy stuff and crate training lol shes taken to the crate like a duck to water so far she had the door shut on her all night last night and not a sound from her and has spent the day in and out as its not shut when someone is here at the moment found out she likes kongs but cant figure them out so gets bored dosnt like carots but they are really good for throwing and pouncing on, pigs ears are ok ish her favorite at the moment is the kong bone with peanut butter just spread on it so she can lick it off then just chew on the bone shape, next im going to try the bully stick and deer antler so wish me luck x
gwd

Post by gwd »

Boy dog considered bitter apple a condiment. ......it really enhanced the flavor of most things!