Dog aggressive towards me!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

StephenL

Dog aggressive towards me!

Post by StephenL »

Hi,, I have a 2yr Yorkie bithch. She is very submissive and calm, lovely nature. I spend all day with her and she is a great companoion. That all changes if my daughtrs home and in her room. The dog wont let me near the room. It gets aggitated and excited at the same time. It wont let me enter the room and nearly bites me if I go near the bed. But only when my daughters in the room. The dog is fine at other times around us apart from when my daughter is in the lounge wirth food. The dog again turns on me even if I walk past. This was all bad enough but last night I took the dog to visit my father. He was sitting eating and again,, the dog would not let me near my father,, almost bit me when I went to lift his empty plate. Ive largely been calm when she plays up but it has to stop. The poor dog doesnt know wether to attck me or look for affirmation.
Pleas tell me what to do.
Dibbythedog

Re: Dog aggressive towards me!

Post by Dibbythedog »

It sounds like she is resource guarding your daughter and father. Do they feed her titbits at all?
What you could do is drop treats when you approach your daughters room , dont say anything to your dog or look at her. Pretend shes not there and pass by the room dropping small treats. Once she becomes ok about you passing the room , you can try opening the door and drop treats , once she is ok with that try coming into the room . Dont say anything or look at her. This is desensitising ans she should become more interested in the treats you drop than guarding your daughter.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Please would you give us a full rundown of your dog's typical day, any known health issues, any life changes recently, what and when you feed. Then we can get a better picture with which to help you.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
StephenL

Post by StephenL »

Hi All,
Thanks for responding.
The dogs typical day is in and out of the back garden and lots of sleep. I work from home so shes not alone much. Shes two year old now ,, only small ,, under 5lbs. No health issues but she has really matured the last 6 months ,, she is more robust. Thats when she started guarding new toys,, like as if she had a bone. We largely resolved the toy issue by ignoring her behaviour. I think she realised we were not really interestd in taking them from her. So I see your point about desensitising her. She has not been dressed as yet but will be soon. She grazes on dried food as and when she is hungry but gulps down any meat and treats she gets. My Dad and daughter dont feed her titbits when they are eating. Im the one guilty of that. I have been ignoring the dog when it starts acting up and I was thinking to have my daughter put the dog out or into the kitchen when it starts the aggression?
Dibbythedog

Post by Dibbythedog »

She's not been spayed yet ? Dogs do go through behaviour changes at 2 to 3 as they mature but generally they calm down. Guarding her toys could be hormonal.