PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Nettle »

As an interim measure, why not volunteer as a dog walker at a Rescue near you? Then you'll have the pleasure of walking dogs, dog company, generally being with dogs and also being able to get to know some breeds/types better.

It's up to you whether or not you get a dog now, or delay to when you find somewhere to live that is safer. It's all about risk management. All the laws in the world don't compensate for a dog killed. If you think you can keep yours safe and exercise away from your area, why not get that Westie? Make sure you get one from stock that are free from skin troubles, though.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

I own a very tiny terrier and live in a sometimes rough area. I do think a little dog can be a worry BUT a major advantage is that you can scoop them up if needs be. There are lots of dogs who if they are far enough away they won't even notice you have a dog once you pick it up and make a speedy retreat.

This doesn't mean you need to carry them around and with a westie they'd be hefty enough that you probably won't want to :wink: but it does mean you can carry them through areas you suspect could be an issue. There is a risk involved in that if the dog is intent on attacking then they may go through you to get your dog if you pick them up.

Do you have a car? If so you could just drive until it's safe to walk them.

Westies have lots of go in them and most will LOVE to train, though they will enjoy variety and might not be keen on repeating behaviours over and over. They are lovely little dogs but can have skin problems so worth spending some time throughly checking out any prospective dog/puppy ( as it is with any breed :wink: ).
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
master2

Post by master2 »

Hi Nettle

I have thought of that but I just could not as either I wont want to go home or I will want to take one home. I think I could keep him safe as I would be going out at different time as what they do but its the evening walk I would be going out around 4 as there are not many dog out then other than my neighbour (he leaves his front door open and his dogs run up to the gate and start barking aggressively) I have confronted him lots of time about it but you can guess how he reacted there have been many times I would punch him as he annoys me and I feel sorry for his dogs to be honest as there not getting the life the should the RSPCA have been once and told him which I had my window smashed in for as he knew it was me know this is why my friends call me Lara Croft as Im not one to back down easily so I got him angry the next day by mouthing off again telling him what I thought of him and he lashed out for me and my friend was in my car recording the whole thing and he smashed my other window in so I had proof that it was him and presses charges on him as the police said I needed proof so he got arrested as I set him up. I no I might not sound like a nice person but I am but to my friends and family and would risk my life for them and I would do the same for my dog. unfournatly he was released the next day :evil: .

what im trying to say is that it is only him and his dogs im worried about as the other lowlifes I know when and were they walk there dogs. but from about 11am he leaves his door open and I just thought a bigger dog might have been better as his dogs tend to go for small dogs or unneutered males. which mine would be neutered or spayed.

WufWuf- this is why I love westies they remind me of me such a big character who dose not let anyone mess with them and are very brave little dog. I would prefer a puppy and I don't have a car.
master2

Post by master2 »

Hi

know you know it is only my neighbours dogs Im worried about. and I don't have a car and I cant move. should I get a dog or not as there is a 50% chance that my dog may get attacked by my neighbours. and as JudyN said that wont be fair on the dog?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

master2 wrote:I think I could keep him safe as I would be going out at different time
master2 wrote:there is a 50% chance that my dog may get attacked by my neighbours
I'm absolutely not trying to catch you out, but it really is a decision only you can make, depending on how high you think the risk is (and that in itself would be impossible to make accurately). Nothing in life is risk free - I let my dog off lead in places he may spot deer, and there is a small, but real risk that he could put his foot down a rabbit hole and break his leg, but it's a risk I'm willing to take. Maybe go out yourself at the times you would be going out with a dog for a few days, and ask yourself whether it would have been safe on that occasion.

If the dogs don't react to large neutered dogs then that could be a reason for having a large dog. On the other hand, if either they or your dog did kick off at each other, you'll have a much harder job controlling him and getting him out of danger.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
master2

Post by master2 »

Hi

as much as this hurts to say I have decided to not get a dog because I don't want him to be attacked by mu stupid owners dogs. I wont be able to move even though I would like to. I suppose that even though I waited all this time maybe a dog is not for me.

thank you for all your help and reply's im very greatful for your help.

I just wish I could stop feeling so hurt about this as it makes me so angry that people like him next door can have dogs :evil: and not give a dam about them and yet people like me cant because of them. :cry:

Many thanks Kera
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

(((((Hugs)))))

For what it's worth - you're still very young (which makes me sound old :oops: ). Many people long to have a dog most of their life but can't have one because of work/life commitments, and finally get a dog much later on, maybe even when they have retired. I didn't get my first dog till I was in my late 40s and am fitter now than I was in my 30s. Your time will come - there will be a time when either you are able to move, or your neighbour moves :D

Don't rule out helping out in a rescue. It can be very hard emotionally, but you are obviously a strong person and it can be very rewarding.

And I hope karma comes along and bites your neighbour hard on his bum :evil:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi

I can understand why you are so worried about your neighbours dog, a couple doors down from me is a staffie cross who did not like male dogs and was always trying to dominate Theo but they never once had a fight as I always watched both Theo and the other dog.
regarding dog attacks its something dog owners have to take a chance on like I live in a very good area and nearly all the owners were I live are responsible owners the only one who is not is the one with the staffie :roll: . but you have to think to your self am I someone who could take risks as Theo has been attacked twice so far and neither of them were staffie types, one was a beagle and one a lurcher so it not just staffie and pits you have to worry about any dog can attacks yours luckily Theo was ok and has not affected him at all. I was like you worrying all the time about dog attacks and also dog nappers is another one you have to worry about but this is what im trying to say having a dog is a pleasure and a joy and I love Theo but it is about making risks taking the chance. even though I was worried like you I knew that I wanted a GSD so much so took the chance and am so glad I did he's my best friend and I love him. Theo by the way got attacked when we were walking in the woods and the lurcher was when we were in the park and neither the dogs nor the owners live anywhere near us so you could be worrying about your neighbour dog and if your dog did get attacked it could have been a dog you did not even know about. as I was very shocked when Theo was attacked.

dog ownership is like our lives we take chances and risks its the same with dogs. for me it was all worth the risk.

p.s even people in really nice areas there dogs can still get attacked when on a walk.

Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi

I also forgot to mention that I would recommend a GSD. you said that the only reason you would not have one is that you don't like the frog legs. well not all GSD have frog legs Theo has a nice level top line and straight back and walks normal. (he dose not look like he's dragging his legs or deformed) he is half working and half show line. here's a link to Theo's breeder so you can see what the dogs look like http://www.champdogs.co.uk/breeder/32161 the dog on the front page is Theo's mom.

another breeder I know who I met at working trials her dogs are very straight backed and I have met them in person and watched them move and they are strong like Theo. http://www.champdogs.co.uk/breeder/35082

just to show you that not all breeders have the wobbly leg look.
master2

Post by master2 »

Hi

Thanks Theo400 for your reply. I never even thought that it could happen on a walk. I do feel a lot better now. and I have been think as I did read your reply on Tuesday when you posted it and have been thinking about what everyone has said and I have decided that I can 100% protect my dog as I would risk my life to save my dog, and I decided that as since as I know the breed very well I have decided to go with a German Shepherd.

Thank you to all of you for helping me with my dilemma.