Puppy for a lodger...

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

minkee

Re: Puppy for a lodger...

Post by minkee »

Can I just say again, thank you everyone for all your suggestions! Nothing has been ruled out so far, he's just considering all options and outcomes (including whether it's viable at all). There's been a lot of suggestions that we would never have considered otherwise.
minkee

Post by minkee »

Wuf Wuf just mentioned rescues to me again, prompting me to look at the RSPCA website and finding old dudes like this one

http://www.rspca.org.uk/findapet/detail ... 10/rehome/

I need to not get carried away picking dogs for someone else! Someone stop me!!
bendog

Post by bendog »

I was just about to pop in and suggest an older rescue too.
There are some very mellow dogs out there from around 5 years old who would be perfect I bet.

I'm not fond of staffys. But only because the 4 I have direct experience with have been at worst aggressive and at best "unpredictable" with other dogs. And they do play quite rough and I'm not sure Breeze would enjoy it.
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

bendog wrote:There are some very mellow dogs out there from around 5 years old who would be perfect I bet.
haha great minds 'n all that! That's pretty much what I said (though I said from 4 up).

Love staffies - will never have one though as although they are often the MOST loving dogs you can meet when they do lose their temper it can be spectacular. I also think they can be a bit over baring with other dogs which I suspect that neither Scout not Breeze would be too keen on.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Staffs are lovely with people but they don't care for other dogs as a rule, specially not living with other dogs. Also a bit too steamroller-y for an office environment, I think.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

minkee wrote:Can I just say again, thank you everyone for all your suggestions! Nothing has been ruled out so far, he's just considering all options and outcomes (including whether it's viable at all).
Hope the good lodger realizes that after all this excitement here not getting one is simply not an option.
gwd

Post by gwd »

Other than the size............i'm going to throw in a zoi! They are great at lounging about and making themselves comfortable........ they also will be happy to just be with lodger and should be a low maintenance dog for an office (not requiring tons of interaction and thus allowing him to actually work)

emmabeths deerhound suggestion would also work............ as would a greyhound.
minkee

Post by minkee »

After meeting up with our friends who have a baby Springer Spaniel puppy this weekend, Lodger has been considering one... (and I've been smitten, too, to be honest!)

So, we know that they're hyper-hyper, but I honestly think he would enjoy that, going on long walks and exploring with it. But what I don't know is about grooming. We've only had short haired dogs as you know. GWD I'm looking at you! We won't be looking at fancy-pants show style grooming, but just keeping them looked after and practical. What can you tell me?

And anything else we should know?

He has a lot of holiday saved up that needs to be taken before Christmas, and then Christmas off too, so now is as good a time as any!
minkee

Post by minkee »

(I *may* have volunteered to help out while it's a puppy, until it's old enough to be trustworthy enough to have a trial run at the office)
bendog

Post by bendog »

Springer ears manage to pick up every sticky bud, bramble twig, or dirt going and can get very matted. As can the tail, and under the armpits! Otherwise a quick brush over once a day (you'll need to anyway to get the mud off!) and they are not too bad.

Would it be a working or pet Springer? I've only really known workers and they are mental for the first 18 months at least. The one I walk most comes when called but doesn't really engage with me on walks in the same way my dogs (and Scout) do - he is more interested in bombing around everywhere at a million miles an hour doing his own thing. He'll come, and fetch a bit, and generally do what he's told, but his biggest reward is being released to go and run again. I wouldn't really consider them an office dog, unless they were much older, or a more docile calm type than the ones I know! Pet/show ones do seem a LOT more chilled though!

*My* one can't even be trusted in the living room with his owners because he spends the entire time trying to play or train, or tugging your trouser legs if you won't oblige - and that's after 2-3 hours of off lead walks, and some training etc. He only really settles when no-one is with him and then he will go and sleep in his crate.
However he did settle eventually when I house sat for him after a good few hours walking and a few rounds of scentwork games, a chew and some T Touch, and although his owners are brilliant, I think they may have neglected to teach an off switch when he was young and just relied on crating him instead.
minkee

Post by minkee »

Thanks Amy, I think you and Wuffles are both right and they were not the right match for him (or the rest of us here). Those puppy faces have a lot to answer for!

Lodger decided to wait again, though, so we're free and clear for now! Perhaps next Summer, apparently. No decision on a breed but I did have to veto Rhodesian Ridgeback - I can't handle another big hound yet!