Suzanne Clothier UK Seminars

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

minkee

Suzanne Clothier UK Seminars

Post by minkee »

http://www.daybreakdogs.co.uk/shop/adul ... -seminars/

Sat 14th & Sun 15th March
Dog Owners & Trainers Seminar Details

Day 1 - SEE THE DOG: The Elemental Questions

If that amazing feeling of connection with your dog seems to come and go, if you wish things could be just a bit smoother between you and your dog, if you’re wondering why your dog’s performance varies, if you’d like to know WHY he’s doing this or that, this is the seminar for you.

Participants will learn to “see the dog” using Suzanne’s Elemental Questions, a detailed look at the dog as an individual. Handlers benefit from a deeper, nuanced understanding of how the dog perceives his world, what interests or bores him, how physical limits may be performing at his best, how to respond to a dog who tells you “this is boring!” and more. Emphasis is placed on understanding the dog’s behavior as a response to environment, intrinsic, extrinsic and social stimuli. Understanding the dog within the context of this complex blend of information helps handlers work to modify and adapt their handling and goals for enhanced relationships and better performance.

Whatever the training goals or sport, understanding the Elemental Questions and how to ask them — and listen for the answers — provides the detailed information about each animal as he is. This is where truly humane training is grounded: in detailed knowledge about the individual dog.

Handlers will be able to fine tune their training approach, understand behavior or training challenges, and appreciate the qualities that contribute to or strain a relationship.

Day 2 - From Maddening to Maturity: Understanding & Helping the Adolescent Dog

Do you wonder where your once wonderful puppy went? And why has he turned into a sometimes maddening, unpredictable, maybe even out of control adolescent? Relax – you’re not alone. More than a few puppy class stars have gone on to be champion buttheads as teenagers!

For many dog owners, the 18-24 month period of adolescence is problematic. Even with a great start in puppyhood, many dogs hit adolescence and become frustrating, unruly, and simply maddening in some ways. While puzzling to many owners, this is a natural but poorly understood stage of development.

Did you know that adolescence begins around 20 weeks of age?
That a year old dog is roughly the equivalent of a 14 year human?
That adulthood in the dog begins at 2-4 years of age?
That the most annoying teenage dogs are usually geniuses?
The Relationship Centered Training (RCT) approach to adolescents focuses on three areas of the teenage dog’s life:

Relationship with handler
Social life (other people, dogs & animals)
Life skills (self control, basic manners, coping skills)
For each area, we will explore ways to assess each dog’s strengths and limits, how the handler can support the dog, what skills need to be developed, and how to recognize problems that must be addressed.

This seminar will address

RCT keys: communication, commitment, communication
The handler’s role as the teenage dog’s guide to life
Balancing the relationship
Age appropriate responsibility
Cooperation as a lifestyle
Permission and parameters
“Even though” empathy & expectations
Potholes, loopholes and missing bricks in the dog’s skill sets
Self control, handling arousal, dealing with distractions and attractions, polite behavior with others (people and dogs) – all are important aspects of growing up into a well behaved adult. Learn how to guide your teenage dog to maturity using effective and humane RCT techniques such as Really Real Relaxation, Go Say Hi, Auto-Check-in, Puppy Politeness Poker and more.

When you understand your adolescent dog better, you can settle into the work and joys of helping them grow into a wonderful adult dog. The kind of adult dog that makes people say, “Oh, I wish I had a dog just like that!” while you smile and wonder if they knew him as a teenager.
and Sat 21st and Sun 2nd March
Dog Training Professional Seminar Details

Pro -Day 1 - What your dog’s body can tell you

The Physical Dog seminar focuses on a topic near & dear to Suzanne Clothier’s heart: the physical dog. She first published her award winning video, Your Athletic Dog, back in 1995. Her Relationship Centered Training pulls together her knowledge of structure, movement, functional assessment, body type and how all of these factors work together with behavior and emotions. Her keen eye for movement and functional athleticism is remarkable. The late R.K. Anderson DVM noted that Suzanne “was the best observer of dogs that he had ever met.”

Observation skills can be taught, and Suzanne loves teaching people how to really see their dogs in new ways. Each dog is a unique blend of skeletal structure, functional abilities, conditioning, challenges and talents. Knowing how to understand your dog’s body helps you understand him at a deeper level — and understand how to keep him safe and functioning at his best.

Attendees will learn about:

Structure – the basic body types, their purpose & significant differences
Gait analysis & functional assessment – learn what nuances in movement can tell you about a dog’s ability & willingness
Functional assessment
The effects of structure & function on behavior, training & performance
Recognizing common performance problems & their physical roots
Common behavior problems & their physical roots
Basic principles of exercise conditioning
Maximizing talents, minimizing faults to keep your dog safe
Juggling your goals and your dog’s abilities
You will learn how physical problems are often mislabeled as behavior or training problems, and learn to recog- nize the most common issues of pain, guarding, structural and functional issues that dogs present.

Our dogs cannot speak to us with words to tell us they are sore, uncomfortable, out of balance, unsure or just feeling “off.” But their bodies can and do tell us immense amounts. Learning to read the physical dog gives the concerned, humane handler a way to be sure that they can answer two of The Elemental Questions: “How is this for you?” and “Can you?” Suzanne will use video, hands-on exercises, and observation of live dogs to make sure that you will never see your dog the same way again!

Pro – Day 2 - Practical Bones

This is a hands-on, working seminar focused on practical application of RCT exercises. Handler will be working with their own dog as well as unfamiliar dogs, as well as with other handlers in a variety of exercises.

The emphasis throughout the day is increased awareness, greater skill proficiency, and hands-on practice with coaching and feedback from Suzanne. This is an intense day of learning that will include:

RCT Skills:

Follow Me – A relationship diagnostic & repair
Really Real Relaxation protocol
Permission Exercises for self control & connection
The Connection Course – leash walking skills
Go Hunt – redirecting focus
Leash Handling Skills
Ghost Handling - multiple purpose skill
Participants will leave with new ideas for teaching their own students, improved skills in hands-on work, and new tools for their training toolbox. Handouts for use with your own students are included.

Handlers may bring their own dog(s), but dogs who will be participating should be safe and comfortable working with unfamiliar people. The dog does not need to particularly well trained, but must be safe around other dogs and when handled with respect, kindness but some degree of confusion & clumsiness – these are inevitable when people are trying to learn a new skill.

Working spots are reserved for professional trainers, apprentices or volunteers who assist in classes or shelter settings. Those wishing to improve their own dog skills are welcome to audit.
minkee

Re: Suzanne Clothier UK Seminars

Post by minkee »

Oh, I should mention that I adore SC - hers was the first 'proper' dog training book I read, and she set me off down a good path. I'm really hoping I can find a way to go to it :)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ooh, that's just down the road from my mum :D I don't think my back is up to full-day seminars, and I wouldn't be able to bring Jasper ('dogs who will be participating should be safe and comfortable working with unfamiliar people'), but let me know if you're going and fancy meeting up if you can fit it in. (We'd have to be careful with introducing Jasper & Breeze, but he's generally OK with pointy dogs even when they still do have their 'adornments' :wink: )
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
katej215

Post by katej215 »

Oh wow..how exciting!! Yup I think she's amazing too...her 'bones from the sky' is my all time fave dog book so far..I am booking a place ASAP! I definitely fancy the first day ( tho it all looks great) and tempted by the second day as well...tho probably a bit extravagant ...I'm not tempted to take Hat as would be too much of a schlep for her I think...plus easier to nip over on the train....nice one for posting Lou...very exciting!!! :D
minkee

Post by minkee »

Someone from York is going so I think I might go with her ... that would be for the 14th/15th too. It would be lovely to see some of you there :D I think I would take Scout with me.
bendog

Post by bendog »

oooohhhhh me me me me me!!!!!

Probably 14/15th looks good! Though I would love to go to them all, and I'm spending a fortune on courses lately so would have to see if I can afford it :/
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

OK, I'm definitely booking a few days at my mum's! It would be lovely to meet up, then you can tell me what I've missed (and demonstrate it on Jasper :twisted: ) :D
minkee

Post by minkee »

Oh please go to this one, Bendog, because then I will have a very good excuse to go and will have to find the money :D
minkee

Post by minkee »

Infact, that's it I am booked! 14th & 15th. Can't wait. Need to look into where I can stay that I can bring Scout along with me.
minkee

Post by minkee »

Another update! If anyone wants to stay there, the seminar is being held at Bridge Inn, where you can also stay with your dogs, if that helps.
katej215

Post by katej215 »

I'm booked up for the 14th and 15th too! :D will check out that accommodation as well..I've registered Hattie just in case I change my mind about bringing her..and feel more tempted if we can get a room in the place it's being held..BUT..if it's more listening than actually doing she is highly likely to be really distracting..she's always so desparate to get on and do..she'll be constantly tapping my foot with her paw, doing gurgley growls or really loud yaps out off the blue... :roll: we are doing a TTouch workshop in a couple of weeks tho...so maybe we'll have learnt the art of creating a super chilled terrier by then 8)

Will be lovely to meet Lou again, and meet Judy and Bendog?....Amy maybe you should ask someone for an early Xmas present? :lol:
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Ooooo, Clothier is my all time fave too ...

Am contemplating going with Ted ...
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
katej215

Post by katej215 »

ClareMarsh wrote:Ooooo, Clothier is my all time fave too ...

Am contemplating going with Ted ...
Yey! Do it do it do it! :D I'm so going to end up bringing Hattie! :lol:
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

minkee wrote: Handlers may bring their own dog(s), but dogs who will be participating should be safe and comfortable working with unfamiliar people. The dog does not need to particularly well trained, but must be safe around other dogs and when handled with respect, kindness but some degree of confusion & clumsiness – these are inevitable when people are trying to learn a new skill.
I'm assuming this *points up* is in respect of the second set of courses for professionals? Ted would be ok working with other people to a point but I can't see him enjoying it for extended periods or with anyone who can't talk "Ted' :lol: . If Amy's there he'd work all day long with her but I suspect she's the exception rather than the rule :lol:

Also if I'm honest I wouldn't be comfortable with him working with people that haven't a blind clue what they're doing :lol:

I'm on the brink of booking though :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Those who have booked, have you had any indication of the timings on the day(s)? OH said 'Does this mean I get another doggy/daddy day?' and though he didn't look very happy about it, I could twist his arm and, in extremis, be nice to him :lol: But Jasper wouldn't be happy about a day away from home and apart from me either, and he's the priority, of course :wink: