Scruffy vs Smart

Upload pictures of your dogs here!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bendog

Scruffy vs Smart

Post by bendog »

Which is better? :lol:

Couple of piccies of Charlieboy before and after his strip (or almost after - he still has hairy yeti feet and a bushy tail and a few other bits of tidying up to do - I'm not a groomer by any stretch and I get really bored of doing it, so please don't be too critical!)

By showdog standards Charlie is ugly as sin - undershot jaw and barrel chest, but he is an absolute delight of a dog and we love him to pieces.
Secretly I like scruffy Charlie best, but smart Charlie shows off his muscles better!

JudyN

Re: Scruffy vs Smart

Post by JudyN »

Once I would have gone for scruffy every time - regardless of breed, and even regardless of whether we're talking dogs or humans :lol: But Charlie's physique looks great in the side-on smart photo, so I'm going with smart :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

I'm with the scruffy look, for me and for dogs :lol: But what happens if you don't strip him, does it get really out of control and uncomfortable for him?
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
bendog

Post by bendog »

Yes, the top layer is just dead hair so makes them less waterproof, but they will look like little woolly mammoths and start leaving hairs everywhere round the house.

Couldn't even feel Charlies ribs through the hair, but now he's stripped down he looks OK weight, it was just so much hair making him look chunky!

Ben's coat isn't as thick, so he doesn't get as bad, this is old pic but it's about as long as he gets:

His coat is finer than Charlies so he looks more like this dog when ready for stripping
http://dancinghound.files.wordpress.com ... mple-2.jpg

Charlies is thick and wiry like this:
http://www.southernborderterrierclub.co ... 20legs.jpg

Pop's coat is a bit different, and a bit softer, so I tend to keep on top of hers by doing the odd little bit here and there to keep her looking tidy-ish rather than a full strip once or twice a year like with the boys. Sash was clipped at her last home which, along with her skin problems, has wrecked her coat (it goes soft if you clip it and doesn't grow back wiry like it should) so she just gets brushed and trimmed with scissors. She doesn't seem to have a double coat at all.
minkee

Post by minkee »

Ah us over in the shorthair corner like the sleek and smart look :D He looks so trim! Though I have to say I did like his mohawk too :D

I'm scruffy enough for everyone in this household ;)
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

I'm going to say I like both :D He's as cute either way.

Mr Wuf and I have decided that we'd like a little scruffy terrier type boy for our next dog (don't worry it's not happening anytime soon) I reckon we'd both love a little guy like Charlie, from everything you've said he sounds like just the type of guy Honey would like too :D .
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
bendog

Post by bendog »

You'd love him WufWuf (you aren't having him though :lol: )
He loves everyone he meets, loves to being fussed and cuddled, but will also go and curl up on his own in his bed after a while, and settles quietly when left alone, or left in another room, loves to play - tug or ball - with you or on his own, loves to train, though doesn't get the hang of shaping very much so does better with luring and takes quite a few reps before you can get things on a reliable cue, pretty good recall in most situations and won't go too far from you on walks, likes to play with some other dogs, walks calmly with most, isn't keen on dogs getting in his face too much. Doesn't like being picked up, but loves to jump on your knee and curl up, or sit on your chest, or park his bum on your feet. Spoons on the bed with you at night.

But most of all, he does EVERYTHING with a grin on his face, and doesn't just wag his tail - his WHOLE body wags if you just look at him or talk to him. You can't help but smile at his happiness. He's a gem :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Only problems we have with him are barking when he is over excited (e.g if he sees a new dog or person), occasionally needing loose lead reminders, and being a greedy so and so (he doesn't scavenge as deliberately as Pops but if something is within reach he'll grab it)