What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

gwd

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by gwd »

JudyN wrote:I'm still feeling rotten for yelling at Jasper a couple of days ago
For goodness sake don't feel guilty. If any dog had it coming, jasper did. .........if it had been me, he'd have been lucky to get off with just the two phrases you uttered...........I would have likely gone all rant-y on him and let loose and entire soliloquy about how he's lucky I even let him live! I might have thrown in a warning about the NEXT time I have to pee in the middle of the night you damn well better stay on your expensive orvis bed and don't even THINK about doing so much as lifting an eyebrow!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

gwd wrote:I might have thrown in a warning about the NEXT time I have to pee in the middle of the night you damn well better stay on your expensive orvis bed and don't even THINK about doing so much as lifting an eyebrow!
:lol:

Would it work though? Would responding like that make him more likely to repeat the behaviour, or less? It might just convince him that there is something really scary about the situation, and he needs to back up his threats with teeth... unless I scare him so much that I'm even scarier than whatever demons are lurking outside of the room :shock:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
bendog

Post by bendog »

On the b*tch in season topic -
Took my lot to the woods this evening. Not often these days I get out on my own with all four together, more often they get thrown into separate group walks (where on the whole they are little superstars) or I take Ben, Charlie and Pop with a tag a long or two and my OH to lend a hand. So I was kind of looking forward to a nice walk.

Got to the woods and 2 off lead labs come running round the corner. I put Sash and Charlie on lead since Sash is a grump and Charlie likes to shout a lot (excitement mostly I think since he's never had a problem with another dog, and often likes to play with them, but still not polite). Poppys recall around other dogs can be hit and miss - but it is a LOT better than when she was younger, and usually once she has said hello she is pretty happy to move on. So we pass the labs (still off lead) and the lady mentions that one is in season!

Pops the little brat would NOT recall, and followed this lady, urgently trying to hump the in season lab. I had to go and physically grab her in the end (not easy with Sash and Charlie both creating on the end of their leads) and even after a spell on lead, when I let her off again she was half thinking about going back to find them.

Maybe I just have a weird dog (neither boy paid any extra attention) - but just worth remembering that it is not just boy dogs that are interested in a b*tch in season sometimes! And I now get how frustrating it can be for owners of entire males whose recall goes out of the window when they scent a girl.

Sash enjoyed herself, and found a dead pigeon :roll:
And Charlie had a good shout at the squirrels in the trees telling them to come down so he could eat them! :lol:
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

gwd wrote:
Sweetie's Human wrote:He often tells me that I have the best taste in dogs :lol:
It seems your taste in men is also spot on............
:oops:

He has his moments. :roll:
JudyN wrote:a GSD with a dash of collie called Wilson
Ever seen that show 'Friday Night Dinner'? :lol: If not, google 'jim and wilson friday night dinner' and watch a few clips. Tickles my funny bone.

Oh and Judy, stop beating yourself up about it. I doubt you'd have anyone here try and tell you they've never lost their temper with their dog and yelled at some point. You're human. And Jasper thinks he is :lol: (sorry, couldn't resist!)
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

bendog wrote:but just worth remembering that it is not just boy dogs that are interested in a b*tch in season sometimes! And I now get how frustrating it can be for owners of entire males whose recall goes out of the window when they scent a girl.
I've not let Ella meet any new dogs (and no males) through her season but I have found the females much more interested in her. Not to Poppy's extent though :shock:

Ted's ok with picking up the scent, he tells me and I put him on lead and as much as possible we then track it :lol:

Ella is much better today, scoffing down her little and often meals and no more being sick :D And her extensive "mid season" lock down period is over, back to heavy supervision, some prison spells but lots more sofa time :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Glad to hear Ella is feeling better.

We took the dogs to the battlefield this morning. Sky added 2.2 miles to her DSA packdog title quest and Sirius added 2.2 miles to her DSA traildog title quest. They have to have a cumulative total of 50 miles with each walk being a minimum of one mile and one walk being a 5 mile "check off" walk and either the dog or the human have to carry certain safety items. For packdog the dog carries the items, for traildog either the dog or human can carry the items. The traildog is new and I was so excited when I read about it because around here in the summer it is just too hot for the dogs to hike carrying backpacks, but I always carry most of the items anyway because I just grab them out of Sirius' backpack. :lol: (I have the items carefully weighed out on a kitchen scale to balance the two sides of the pack and then place them into snack or sandwich baggies to keep everything contained in the backpack bag. They have to carry a flashlight, first aid kit, matches, identification, compass, knife, signalling device, water, bowl, clean up bags, extra collar and extra leash.)

OH did really well with Sirius today. She woofed a little at another dog that we saw as well as at some horses that we encountered, but at no time did she go charging at anyone. :D :D :D At one point, we were getting ready to head back onto the trail after waiting for joggers, walkers and a couple of horses to pass, :roll: :shock: when another jogger showed up heading towards us. OH looked at her and said, "is there anything unusual about her?" He then answered his own question and said yes and proceeded to keep Sirius well occupied with treats while the jogger, who had her jacket tied around her waist with the sleeve ends hanging and flopping as she ran, went by. :D :D Of course right after that a couple came walking up in the opposite direction and the lady had a walking stick. I warned OH about "walking stick" and he once again did a great job of keeping Sirius focused and she didn't even see the lady with the walking stick. :D :D

OH and I each racked up a little over 5000 steps on our pedometers and OH was certain there was something wrong with his because for having walked 2.2 miles with the dogs, he had registered 0 aerobic steps. :shock: I looked at my pedometer and it said the same thing. :shock: Apparently all that waiting for people and animals to pass by cancelled out any aerobic benefit we might have gotten from our walking. :lol: :lol:

If you remember my mentioning the little library box house thing that I put the books Scardy Dog, The Other End of the Leash, and Click to Calm into; all 3 books were gone when I went back to the dog park the following morning. I hope someone is helped by the books and returns them for someone else to be helped by when they have finished.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

Sweetie and I just got back from doing my parents' tax returns. Sweetie *had to* sit in my lap and help. Of course, given her diligent supervision of all tasks, this involved her frequently putting her paws up on the desk, or the keyboard :roll: , and trying to shove her nose into the computer screen or sniffing all the paperwork. Believe it or not, this was the best scenario. The alternative was her at my feet trying to get my attention and me asking myself why I didn't just leave her home with OH. Actually, I ended up asking myself that anyway! :lol: After that I did my green grocery 'shopping' for the week (ie collecting eggs and harvesting a heap of veggies from their garden) and she really did enjoy supervising that task! She's booked in a neighbourhood shuffle with OH later and will no doubt supervise him washing the cars and whatever shed-tinkering he has planned. I'm off for a run (sans pug!).
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Sweetie's Human wrote: Believe it or not, this was the best scenario.
:lol: :lol: :lol: She's such a busybody :D

Ella got to come on our walk this morning and was fine, and they got to play chase without Ted feeling any need to try to hump her :D So now she's only being crated when I step out of the room which I'm sure she's much happier about even though she has a massive exercise yard around her prison :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yesterday I was in the kitchen creating cheese omelettes, and OH made himself a slice of bread and butter to eat with his, and left it on the table. He was seated at the computer in the living room when Babydog came in and sat comfortably beside him - eating a slice of bread and butter.

All these years with dogs and he still forgets :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Nettle wrote:Yesterday I was in the kitchen creating cheese omelettes, and OH made himself a slice of bread and butter to eat with his, and left it on the table. He was seated at the computer in the living room when Babydog came in and sat comfortably beside him - eating a slice of bread and butter.

All these years with dogs and he still forgets :lol:

that made my morning
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Woohoo today I successfully recalled Precious away from playing with another dog :D First time ever! Only took me 2 yrs.. :lol: I'm celebrating anyway :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Sanna wrote:Woohoo today I successfully recalled Precious away from playing with another dog :D
Don't you just love that feeling? :D :D :D I'm sure it's the thrilled whoops we give that reinforces it so strongly (along with a pile of well-earned high-value treats, of course) :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Well if you were judging by my reaction you'd have thought he'd gone and resolved world peace or something equally impressive and unexpected :lol: :lol:
katej215

Post by katej215 »

Hattie is never happier than when she's near you chewing her chews...near you meaning either butted up against you on the couch, on your lap or lying on your feet :roll: ...tonight was a first tho...we'd got back from a long drive..Hattie and us had dinner, then Hattie asked if we could do some training (she looks right at me whist doing grumbly gurgley growls and occasionally leaping in the air)..so we did 10 minutes then I went up for a bath...Hattie often comes up too and puts her paws on the edge and watches the bubbles or tries to give me an extra wash...anyway tonight she came up with chew in her mouth, paws on the edge of the bath, chewing away...when she disappeared off I thought nothing of it...then discovered a piece of her earlier dinner ( a bloody pork rib) floating in the bath :shock: )...Meanwhile Hattie had gone downstairs to get a replacement chew which she promptly brought upstairs and settled on the bath mat to eat.. :lol: of course 20 mins later I am on tiptoe trying to get out of the bath and not stand on a sprawled sleeping terrier, the pork rib or the smelly chew... :roll: :lol:
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Sanna wrote:Well if you were judging by my reaction you'd have thought he'd gone and resolved world peace or something equally impressive and unexpected :lol: :lol:
well in some ways he did contribute to world peace...at least in the dog world. ;)