Eaten Plastic

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

WufWuf

Eaten Plastic

Post by WufWuf »

Argh in a rush to visit mother in law and I didn't do a proper safety check before I left, Mr wuf had left the treat bag on a low table and of course it was empty when we got home.

There was a 1inch wide section of plastic black pudding wrapper in the bag that is now in Honey :( Please people give me hope that this will pass through her ok, I'm worried but don't know what the best thing to do is. I gave her a 1/4 of a slice of bread with coconut oil spread on both sides in the hope that this will somehow wrap around the plastic and ease it's passing.

I know what to look for blockage wise but I don't know what else I can do to make sure it comes out the other end, she's under 4kg so it was really quite a large piece of plastic in comparison to her tiny size.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
JudyN

Re: Eaten Plastic

Post by JudyN »

Is it just a plastic film rather than hard plastic? I know Jasper is a lot bigger than Honey, but he has passed whole plastic bags about the size of a poo bag on a number of occasions. He's also passed a bit of toothed hard plastic ( :shock: ) about 3x1cm - I never did work out what it was and how it got into him - and a whole lolly stick.

I should think she'll be absolutely fine, and you'll be seeing that bit of plastic again soon - but of course, you need to keep an eye on her just in case. I'll keep my fingers & toes crossed for you.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

It's like the plastic black pudding on the right of this page http://www.thehaggis.com/EZ/sh/sh/page1 ... dcm92uvn77
WufWuf wrote:Argh in a rush to visit mother in law
Haha I was in a rush to right that too ... sounds like I was rushing off just to see her as I forgot the "in hospital" part :oops: I was trying to make the visiting hours :roll: .

Sounds like Jasper has survived some strange delicacies in his time and lived to tell the tale so hopefully I will just have some odd poop (though the piece of plastic was bigger than her poops are :? )
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Bah 2 poops this morning and no plastic so far. She seems fine though so I'll take her out again in a while and see if anything comes out then.
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Poop no. 3 very small and still no plastic :(
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

I do hope she's okay, afraid I have no advice to give though :? good luck to her passing it on her own
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That lolly stick took three weeks to emerge from Jasper :shock: If you're worried, how about giving your vet a ring? They might be able to reassure you. (Unless you think they're likely to get you in just to get some money out of you, of course - mine is very good at advising me to watch and wait.)
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

delladooo wrote:I do hope she's okay, afraid I have no advice to give though :? good luck to her passing it on her own
Thank you delladooo.
JudyN wrote:That lolly stick took three weeks to emerge from Jasper :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: Oh Judy when's the book coming out :lol:

I think they would say wait and see tbh I don't think it would make me feel any better. I am already stressed about other stuff so possibly over worrying about Honey but it really was quite a wad of plastic and she's just so small :?

On the good side she seems fine, no sign of digestive distress, bless her I've been refusing to feed her as I was hoping to see the plastic before I did, I'm not sure if putting more stuff in will help or hinder it's progress :? . I will give her a bone free meal later either way I guess.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Good luck - hope you get a result soon.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Well I may as well fess up and see if that helps you at all. Years ago I was at my friends, Candy and Graham, in Tenerife and we had a BBQ on their roof garden. We had been drinking and (I blame Candy for being irresponsible and leaving us to the BBQing knowing how useless we are) Graham and I made a start on cooking. We did the first lot of burgers and put one ready for Candy, scoffing ours down with gusto. Cue Candy taking one bite out of hers (ours were long gone) and spitting it out ... we'd BBQd the burgers with those plastic wrap sheets that they put on them still on AND eaten them :shock: :lol:

I'm still alive :D

I'm pretty sure she'll be fine Claire but I understand why you're worried and how much better you'll feel once you see it come out :shock:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Hope Honey is ok. Precious has pooped out a few interesting objects that he's managed to get down with or without me knowing... (generally without but if I've a feeling he's had something he shouldn't I've fed some toast to 'pad&wrap' the object in his stomach). I know he's a fair bit bigger but so were some of the things he's ate- namely poo bag, part of a sock, bit of blanket, plastic wrapper and bits of a plant pot- he's surprised me with a few lovely multi coloured poos :lol:

So far so good, fingers crossed Honey will be a-ok :D
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Thank you everyone :D .

Still no plastic in sight but at this point I'm just happy that she is still pooping and not puking so far. She's hungry, lively and as cuddly as ever :D .

I'm still keeping an eye on her and Mr. Wuf is under instructions that he must bring her bedtime poo's home with him so that I can inpect them, the things we do for love :mrgreen: :lol:
ClareMarsh wrote:we'd BBQd the burgers with those plastic wrap sheets that they put on them still on AND eaten them :shock: :lol:
:lol: Oh my :shock: how much had you been drinking :lol:
Sanna wrote: I know he's a fair bit bigger but so were some of the things he's ate- namely poo bag, part of a sock, bit of blanket, plastic wrapper and bits of a plant pot-
Wow I'm very lucky that Honey has no interest in non food items, she only ate the wrapper to get to the black pudding (I've been using tiny amounts as high value rewards, it's perfect for her as I can mush it on my fingers and she goes all gooey eyed getting it off :lol: I'm also lucky that she's gentle with her mouth or I'd have no fingers :P )
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

WufWuf wrote:
ClareMarsh wrote:we'd BBQd the burgers with those plastic wrap sheets that they put on them still on AND eaten them :shock: :lol:
Enough! I was in another country so it doesn't count right? :lol:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

ClareMarsh wrote: WufWuf wrote:

Enough! I was in another country so it doesn't count right? :lol:
Ah well then, sure it's like it never even happened :wink: :lol:

Woo hoo (and many curse words) yeah woo etc

The wrapper has landed :D :D :D :D :D :D

All empty and neatly folded length ways with a little coating of poop - Nice job Honey's digestive system 8) :D :D :D :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Hurrah!! Image

We should celebrate...Image But best not put Clare in charge of the catering Image