Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: Vent!

Post by Nettle »

I did think it would have been better to have had him tied to the front :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Pit Bull in the park the other day :evil:

Not that I think all pits are evil mind you. But this one was huge, and looked okay from a distance, whining to his owner, but on a huge thick chain, and owner was sitting on a bench with his approx seven year old daughter scootering up and down the path. As we were getting closer I leashed my two, just in case, and called out whether his dog was friendly or not. He says "Yeah!" but as I get closer, I see the dogs body language screaming "I'm anything BUT friendly..." so decide to head the other way, and Pit launches himself at my two, growling and snarling. Man says nothing.

I'm glad I kept my distance, so I take mine to the other end of the park, where there are three exits between me and mine and this man and his pit. As we walk, I'm keeping a close eye still, in case pit gets away from owner. The man is really built though, with a heavy duty chain and complex clip connecting the dog to it, so I'm not too worried. I am worried however, when I see, mere seconds after the dog was lunging at mine and snarling, the little daughter wrapping her arms around the animal in a bear hug, her face snuggled right into the dogs face....!!!

Then from a distance, I see this man give his huge, incredibly muscular animal to his tiny seven year old to hold. That's when I decide to beat feet out of the park, because the daughter is determined to let the dog off lead (while it's still staring intently at my dogs, which are way out of normal interest range) and her dad snaps sharply at her not to let him off. Daughter is cheeking him and determined to do her own thing. If that dog had made a break for it, there's no way on earth she could have held him back.

Never seen this man or dog before, even though we walk all over this neighbourhood at different times, so can only guess how much exercise this dog normally gets. The purpose of his trip to the park seemed like a father/daughter weekend visit, not for exercising the dog - since they were just sitting on the bench when I was there. Owner seemed completely oblivious to the dogs body language, which looked to me like the makings of a very dangerous dog. I'm used to assessing other peoples dogs and thinking about whether or not I could 'take them' if the worst happened ever since Jack was attacked - and the answer for this dog was 'not a chance in hell'. I'm 5'9 and fairly strong, and would do whatever I had to to protect my dogs, but this dog was so powerfully built, and his body language meant business. Seeing the little girl doing all the wrong things with this dog made me cringe.

I hope I'm not reading about her in the paper soon.

On the other hand, later in the day I met a man with the sweetest, but obese, rottie cross doberman. She was a total love bug, and her body language was perfect, and irresistable. Owner was telling me how she was found abandoned in a car park with her littermates, but she's now a very spoiled princess! She really did need to lose a lot of weight, but her temperment was perfect, and I could have easily taken her home!

Occasionally after an incident like the first one, I feel bad - like I'm judging because of the breed, even though I'm against breed specific legislation. But having the second incident so soon after the first reminded me that it wasn't the breed that worried me apart from the obvious muscle power on him, it was the body language. I didn't worry about the massive rottie cross for a moment, because everything about her behaviour said "sweet and gentle".

There are some lovely staffies around here I am very happy to let Pixie play with - but there are also a lot of rough, chavvy people around here with status breeds, who don't know or care about how to look after a dog properly. That want it to seem aggressive and 'hard'. Those are the ones that worry me.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

http://www.reshareworthy.com/dog-puppet-prank/

The above is a video of dogs' reactions when someone took a dog glove puppet and a bone to a dog park. I would be fuming if someone tried that when I was walking Jasper, and the puppeteer wouldn't be to happy if she lost her hand, either :evil: Is it just me, or is this really irresponsible/stupid?

It's quite cute when a dog rolls over in response to the puppet rolling over though!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

I'm a wowser when it comes to turning dogs into cheap entertainment at their own expense.

Now offering a baby a lolly and then scaring it instead at the last moment, that would be funny. No maybe not. :roll:
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
Anatine

Post by Anatine »

I saw that video the other day, really unimpressed with it :/
It's not funny and it's not fair to the dogs
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You know as soon as someone describes footage involving animals as 'hilarious' - it won't be. :evil:

jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I watched that video a couple days ago...didn't find it funny, rather I was fascinated by the dog's reaction.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Today's grouch involves two suicidal cats and a very irresponsible owner.

The cats (and owner) are new to the area. We are blessed with about 100 acres of farmland footpaths on which we can walk our dogs offlead, and people come from all over to walk here. I have several times come across these cats adventuring on the farm rather a long way from houses, and to compound the risk, one is rabbit-coloured and moves like a rabbit. Luckily for them, my dogs are trained not to chase cats, but most of the dogs that come here have no training at all.

This morning, one cat flashed past under my dog's nose while the other shinned up a gatepost ooh about three feet high and perched on the top. This was a great training opportunity and I used it to the full - I constantly reinforce don't-chase-catness. I also stroked the cat's chin which it seemed to like. Maybe I shouldn't have done that.

While doing this, I saw cats' owner walking their retriever, and the cats followed the retriever along the road presumably back to their home.

These cats one day are going to die a horrible death :evil: and it is such a pity. They are really nice cats. Why on earth don't their owners see the risks?

Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

Stupid woman yelling out at my dad for riding his bike with his little JRT in the basket. Apparently she had a comment about it being all well and good for him to get the exercise, but what about the poor dog in the basket. I was proud to hear that he turned back and calmly explained to her that, actually, the 15km each way to and from the off lead beach might be a bit much for the dog, but the ~5km walk (more like 10km for the dog with all the ball chasing) on the beach was probably OK, and that the wife doing the afternoon walk (about 7km at pace) also helps. I was only sad to hear that he didn't ask how far her own princess had been walked that day, if she was so interested in his.

But what if it had been someone with an old decrepit or disabled dog and he was doing the right thing still getting it out in the fresh air?

I really wish people would get their facts straight before making their judgments (if they have to make them at all!). I hope she felt as silly as she is. My family got a giggle out of her anyway.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Sweetie's Human, I would love to have seen that woman's face :lol: I do hate it when people judge others without bothering to find out the facts.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Eugh, don't you just love judgemental people. I just nipped to the shop with Laufey (he's allowed inside) and stopped at the park on the way back. Some woman was on there with her 6 month old chihuahua and when I wouldn't let Laufey off to play the look on her face was ridiculous, you'd think I jut told her I keep him in a tiny box isolated all day! Somehow I don't think she'd have been impressed for long if I let Laufey jump all over her puppy :evil: So I suppose our proper walk will wait for later. I might have to give the long line another go too if people are going to insist on disturbing us
Erica

Post by Erica »

Aww, I hope the cats remain okay. :(

Lovely response from your dad, Sweetie's Human!

Isn't it wonderful when people think they know what you should do with your dog? Eugh.

Mine is a couple days old but I've been buusssyyy. Backstory, I help an elderly lady who doesn't like to drive alone anymore by taking her to get groceries and to doctors' appointments etc. Our usual schedule is her driving to the nearby grocery store, then I drive us to a restaurant for breakfast. This normally takes 1.5-2 hours, which is too long to keep a little puppy in his crate if nobody else is home. So as soon as I knew I was getting Delta, I told her (each time I saw her, so multiple times!) we'd have to start splitting this up, so she could drive to the grocery store one day and we'd go eat breakfast a separate day, which would mean an hour max for him alone. (I'm having to split Ami and crew's walks too, some days.)

First day I see her after getting Delta? "Oh, how is puppy doing? Aww I'm so excited you'd think I was getting a dog! Hahahaha alright so I'll drive and then we'll go eat." :roll:
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Ahhhh people..

Cats - my last cat (after which I decided id only own a cat when i can also provide a large enclosed outdoor environment to keep cats safe from the world... and the world safe from cats..) would given the opportunity, follow us on walks. For a while this was ok as he would not reveal himself to anyone unless flanked by two dogs, and he would melt into the background at a certain point and hide, waiting for us to return.

However he got bolder and I got the Orange Dog who formed a truce with him IN the house... however if she ever saw him outside of our own house or garden, he was fair game - they both understood this (I am absolutely positive of this). So walkies for him had to stop, because she knew if he'd followed and she'd hunt him up and I stopped her once, I don't think I'd have stopped her a second time (she wouldn't have thought it fair). So he was shut in at home, its not hard to do! We did have a few walks where he'd appear and we'd have to go home, put him away and then set off again!

Judgeypants people - pft, I get comments about how I should walk and the dog should ride when people see me riding my scooter and Rocky is walking - hes old and a bit wobbly and clearly looks it now. I am not old, but I am fat and wobbly. SO I often get comments about how it would be better for me if I walked... grr (id like to keep what remains of my spine functioning for as long as possible ta!)..

However as our walks progress, he tends to hop on the scooter for a ride and a rest - hes good, he knows the rules that he has to ask me to stop, and not fling himself off whilst we are moving and hes not allowed to be a pain and constantly ask to get up and get off again.

And yet I then get people telling me my dog will get as fat as me (RUDE!!!) and I should make him walk........... grrr!

I can't really rant about today, it would be v unprofessional but safe to say it was very frustrating, time consuming and expensive! All sorted now though, phew! :)

And now to bed as I have a Kennel Club 'thing' tomorrow!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

emmabeth wrote:Judgeypants people - pft, I get comments about how I should walk and the dog should ride when people see me riding my scooter and Rocky is walking - hes old and a bit wobbly and clearly looks it now. I am not old, but I am fat and wobbly. SO I often get comments about how it would be better for me if I walked... grr (id like to keep what remains of my spine functioning for as long as possible ta!)..

However as our walks progress, he tends to hop on the scooter for a ride and a rest - hes good, he knows the rules that he has to ask me to stop, and not fling himself off whilst we are moving and hes not allowed to be a pain and constantly ask to get up and get off again.

And yet I then get people telling me my dog will get as fat as me (RUDE!!!) and I should make him walk........... grrr!
I get the same with people telling me I should carry Ted (or Ella) if I'm walking them and then hasn't (s)he got legs if I'm carrying him :roll: When I first got Ted I got upset a lot at how rude people are about dogs and to their owners but now it largely rolls off me. The only time I've ever said anything to other dog owners is when I see people hitting their dogs and I've actually found these people almost seem relieved to have the pressure to "come down on" their dog taken off them.
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

People ask me why I don't have coats in my dogs in winter - well, der, this is southern England and it is seldom cold enough for healthy dogs to need coats when out walking. They do get coats on cold nights as we don't have central heating, and they get coated when old, but running about offlead - I don't think so. I even see dogs like spaniels and golden retrievers in coats!!! :shock: generally ones that coukld do with using some body fat to create heat (if only that worked for us humans too).

When I had Studdog, complete strangers would ask when I was having him neutered. "Never" didn't seem to be the right answer.