What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Erica »

First "horror" story - I let Delta sleep from about 8pm onward. Then, when I got ready for bed at 11, he decided nooo, it was PLAYTIME! So we did a bit of training (it's yer choice - because the venison kidney treats I'd grabbed were REALLY EXCITING...next time I'll start with something a bit less interesting, though he got the idea pretty quickly!), then a bit of play with a tug toy, then I said "Look pup, it's midnight, have a bully stick in your crate and go to sleep." He wanted to play at 4 when he got up for a potty break, but I put my foot down on that one. :P So I've learned I should wake him up a while before I want to go to bed, get him some play and fun time in, then hopefully I can go to sleep when I plan to!

I think he was having a mild reaction to his vaccinations from Friday, or maybe the stress of travel + new home, or maybe both. His pawpads were rather warm, he didn't eat much, and he slept a lot, but he seems to have more energy now and ate more at breakfast. It is just amazing to watch the little boyo chomp some chicken necks. :D

If he hadn't been better today I would have called the emergency vet just to check if I should have been worried; all the normal vets are closed as it's Labor Day.

His breeder gave us some treat samples from a really nice site. "Best Bully Sticks" has a huge selection of different treats, lots of options for freeze dried and such stuff. I'll be watching it for a sale though; they're expensive.

He's got his first vet appointment with me tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's not a fight with the vets over minimal vaccination and no neutering and raw feeding...though I won't be bringing any of it except the vaccination up until they ask, honestly.

Little Delta is very photogenic, and his pictures look mature, but he definitely still moves and acts like a puppy! Still a little stumbly sometimes, and very pounce-y/prance-y when he's feeling energetic. It is adorable to watch.

Edit: Meant to say - the difference is that gwd's advice IS helpful and good information to know! Once he outgrows this collar I'll look at rolled leather ones for ID tags, though we don't tend to leave collars on the dogs unattended.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

bendog wrote:Can of deodorant is almost as effective as pepper spray and totally legal to carry.
Biro pen can be quite an effective weapon too (jab it HARD at soft parts e.g eyes, throat) can also be used to do some very painful finger locks but that's getting a bit advanced.
Voice of Doom may give you a bit more of a chance if someone approached (GET BACK) a lot of attackers will be looking for an easy target and if you show that you have seen them approaching they may run if you are lucky.
Aim to kick or knee the groin if poss but most rapists are likely to anticipate this and so will stand side on so it can be hard to get a good target. Again - go for soft targets with everything you have - thumbs in eyes and push back, hit to the throat, palm heel into nose. Stamp on the feet with your heels if they aren't wearing thick boots. Attackers in our area often wear 2-3 layers of clothes so they can shed a layer afterwards to avoid police identifying them, but it also means that the body is more protected from being hit.

If you were to end up on the ground - protect your head as much as poss and use your legs to try and push and kick against his hips. It's hard to explain, but message me if you want any more info and I can try to find videos that show what I mean. This might be difficult with your endo, I'm not sure.

Of course hopefully it will never come to that. I'm forever wandering around on my own at night, and there have been a few rapes over the years in the park across the road, but I've never had any trouble. But helps to know how to defend yourself if you can.
Thanks bendog :D I'll bring a can of deo with me next time I'm out in the evening :D . I think that really any kind of physical altercation and I'm a goner but I'd go down fighting as best I can. Not that it helps but I watch a fair amount of MMA so I think I know the move you mean (where you use your legs to push someone up/off at the hips). I don't really think I'd be of any use but maybe if I could get some of the soft areas first.

Erica - Delta is so frickin cute, loving the stories and pictures :D :D :D I seem to have missed anything about collars :? but you sure know your dog stuff so whatever it is I'm sure your right and they're wrong :mrgreen: .

There's an older chap around my way who Honey has decided she has no time for anymore and I think he's a bit hurt. TBH I don't like the guy but I feel a little sorry for him as I think he has problems. He insists on calling Honey no matter where he is in relation to her so I started rewarding her HEAVILY for staying with me so now when he calls her she comes and tells me she's wonderful and needs sweeties, which is perfect, the otherside of it is that I'm pretty sure she's relieved not to have to "talk" to this guy and won't go over to him even if I do :oops: . I totally respect her wishes and would never force her to but I do feel bad for this chap and he looks so hurt.

I think this is partly that he now has 2 dogs with him instead of one coupled with the fact that *I* don't like the guy means that I've been putting out very strong "don't go over" vibes and Honey is very good at reading me so I can't undo it as I still don't really want her to go near this chap in my heart of hearts. Honey is my priority and my responsibility and this guy is not so I just have to suck it up and get over the discomfort.

I'm trying out a new doggie cookie recipe so I'll post a pic once they are done :D
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Erica wrote:He's got his first vet appointment with me tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's not a fight with the vets over minimal vaccination and no neutering and raw feeding...though I won't be bringing any of it except the vaccination up until they ask, honestly.
Given that they can't chops his bits off / follow you home and force feed him crapple or jab him with a needle without your consent you have a choice of routes you can go with this. It depends on the vet but if you can have a reasonable conversation with them then that's great, if not then you can either politely thank them without actually saying what you're going to do or you can perfect a blank stare :lol: I've used all these approaches and they all work successfully if you select the right one for the particular vet :lol: And it does get easier the more you do it. I've pretty much abandoned my closest London vets except for remaining registered "just in case", I go to a vet that doesn't advocate raw/minimal vacs/not neutering but is comfortable with those options and I can have a sensible discussion with for health checks when I'm in Cornwall. And I've gotten a holistic vet for actual problems that need some thinking to find out what's causing a problem rather than doling out antibiotics and anti inflammatories. So see it as a fact finding mission to see if you need a locate a "better" vet in the event you need some help beyond surgery or prescription drugs.

I'm kind of interested to see how my London vet reacts if he discovers I have two entire dogs of the opposite sex, I think his head my spin round/off.

Right now Ted is asleep next to me and Ella is in her prison lying by a lamb rib pretending she's put out and doesn't want it, whilst giving it the odd sly lick because really she does :lol:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

ClareMarsh wrote:I'm kind of interested to see how my London vet reacts if he discovers I have two entire dogs of the opposite sex, I think his head my spin round/off.
He'll probably assume that you couldn't possibly be capable of stopping Ted getting his wicked way, or that you'll think they won't do it because they're half-siblings or something :roll:

A young unneutered lab thundered up to Jasp this afternoon to introduce himself. Jasper gave him a bit of verbals, then stood over him (not difficult for him, admittedly) and glared at him. The lab stared back, thinking 'Oh heck' or something along those lines :lol: I walked on briskly to get a bit of distance between us, and called Jasper. He came to me with one last glare at the lab, and the lab turned and thundered back to his owner. I was really pleased that though Jasper made it clear he didn't like the lab, the red mist didn't descend. This may have been due to the lab's good understanding of body language too - although friendly, and not scared by Jasper's response, he understood that Jasper didn't want to play and didn't press the point.

We then met a Jasper lookalike :D I was confused at first, because I recognised the man, but he had owned a dog that looked like a much older version of Jasper... my first thought was 'Good grief, Buster's looking well' :shock: :lol: It turned out Buster had died, and the new dog, Max, was around 22 months. At first Jasper didn't want to play, but after a bit of mooching, he plonked a paw on Max's back and they were OFF!! :lol:

We soon discovered that they didn't just have good looks in common - they also share lack of stamina: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtVEDS5 ... e=youtu.be

I've just noticed that when I said 'down' to Max he went to his owner for reassurance - I didn't think I had said it sharply, but he surprised me by jumping up on me while I was looking the other way :oops:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
gwd

Post by gwd »

Erica wrote:Edit: Meant to say - the difference is that gwd's advice IS helpful and good information to know! Once he outgrows this collar I'll look at rolled leather ones for ID tags, though we don't tend to leave collars on the dogs unattended.
I do exactly as sweetie's human said, the rolled 'every day collar' is quite loose and, as she said, almost a necklace. It's sole purpose is simply as a tag holder. When we go on walks I put their harness on........ unless it's a beach trip and then it's a nylon martingale (as the harness would irritate under their armpits in the sand and while swimming)

With multiple dogs I worry about them getting caught in each others collar so that's why I keep them loose enough to slip over their head. I friend of mine had a horrible incident with a choke chain. One dog got his jaw stuck under the other dogs collar. It was hurting the stuck dog as well as the one being choked! Plus, given it was a chain they couldn't even cut it off quickly.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

JudyN wrote: This may have been due to the lab's good understanding of body language too - although friendly, and not scared by Jasper's response, he understood that Jasper didn't want to play and didn't press the point.
you sure it was a lab...just saying :wink: :lol: :twisted: :P
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Erica wrote:His breeder gave us some treat samples from a really nice site. "Best Bully Sticks" has a huge selection of different treats, lots of options for freeze dried and such stuff. I'll be watching it for a sale though; they're expensive.
Actually their prices are great and they are relatively close to you (Richmond, VA) so you should receive shipments quickly. The hard part is that in order to get the great prices, one must buy in bulk. The 50 packs of thin bully sticks are currently on sale for less than $1.00 a piece. In stores and other sites I have looked at $2.00 would be a minimum price and $3.00 is more common. Unfortunately I don't have a spare 50 bucks for dog treats right now, because I do love to stock up when they are at that price.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

It's a nasty, wet drizzly day today, so I've had a chance to catch up on some writing. The past two days we actually had reasonable weather (only a little rain), so I used the time to fill in some of the deeper holes in the dog yard and to repair and refurbish some dog houses in preparation for winter. Some have needed their roofs replaced, some have needed new faces or door frames, and many just need to be refastened. Most of our houses were purchased used from mushers who have left the sport, and most were made by an outfit here in Fairbanks who slaps them together using wire staples rather than screws. They are at an age where the staples are rusting away, so the panels are coming apart.

The fun part to all this is the dogs' reactions to the tractor. Whether moving dirt or hauling dog houses back and forth, it's always something of great interest. Though some are more cautious than others, none are afraid of the machine and a handful are absolutely fascinated by it. I'm pretty sure that Amazing Grace thinks it's the biggest, coolest dog toy EVER and she would drive it off if her legs were long enough to reach the peddles.

The biggest news is that evening before last we had an earthquake - a BIG earthquake for this region. When Trish came home from work she noted that Thowra was running around his circle like a crazy dog while the rest of the gang were just sort of hanging out, not doing much of anything. We were discussing division of labor for evening critter chores when the entire earth move. The art on the walls was swinging and banging around, the super-heavy insulated door to the cabin was rattling in it's frame and the whole house was rocking and rolling like a small boat in choppy seas. Fortunately there was no damage, and once it passed young mister Thowra settled right down. On the other hand, Aumaruq buried himself in his house and didn't come out until feeding time yesterday. All the other dogs were stimulated by the unusual event so engaged in a massive, yard wide play session when I'd finished the chores.

5.3 magnitude, so not the largest we've endured up here, but no slouch either.

Then there is today. Did I mention that it's another nasty, wet drizzly sort of day? (sigh)
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Swanny1790 wrote:5.3 magnitude, so not the largest we've endured up here, but no slouch either.
5.3 .... yaaawn :shock: :lol: wake me up when you get closer to 7.

ok, joking aside. earth moving under your feet is a very nerving feeling. and while a 5.3 with our building codes isn't that "bad" of an earth quake...it will get your attention.

I was in Santa Cruz during the Oct 89' quake, that was a 7.1 and despite the national news media claims otherwise, it was not the "San Francisco" quake, it was actually epicenter in loma prieta 10 miles from santa cruz. SF is about 80 miles from SC.

7.1 .... that loosen the fillings in the ol' teeth. I still remember it like yesterday and for at least the next 10 years or so, it took more than a 6 to wake me up or even to make me take notice. now...even a 4 something will get my attention.

earth quakes can really do a number on people emotionally. For me, that 7.1 I can honestly say it didn't scare me that bad...no joke, no macho bs. A part of why...it was actually a very quick quake, 15 seconds. I was just starting to get a bit worried heading to scared when it stopped. But what really got me was the after shocks. the after shocks were all in the 5 to 6.5 range for the first couple hours if I remember right. And at about a 20 to 30 minute interval for a good 3 or 4 hours as I remember. That really got me. we had after shocks at a less frequent interval that entire night...that also really got me.

I have seen other people completely freak out over quakes that if you were standing on the ground level you could not feel, but if you were up say on the 16th floor of a building...you not only felt them, you got a bit sea sick from the building swaying.... that can be come exciting times...

the nice thing about quakes...they happen so infrequently. And we have pretty good building codes in CA, so it would take a really, really big quake to do massive damage and cause loss of life.
gwd

Post by gwd »

jacksdad wrote:5.3 .... yaaawn :shock: :lol: wake me up when you get closer to 7.
Put in a sell order at 8!
jacksdad wrote: earth moving under your feet
Sky tumbling down, tumbling down I feel my heart start to trembling..... whenever you're around.
jacksdad wrote: earth quakes can really do a number on people emotionally.
After a the one we had a couple of years ago Easter (7.1) I felt 'off' for the next week. We had a ton of after shocks and the original quake itself was a long one. For me, it messed up my equilibrium. ......
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

JudyN wrote:
ClareMarsh wrote:I'm kind of interested to see how my London vet reacts if he discovers I have two entire dogs of the opposite sex, I think his head my spin round/off.
He'll probably assume that you couldn't possibly be capable of stopping Ted getting his wicked way, or that you'll think they won't do it because they're half-siblings or something :roll:
If we get into the conversation I might actually say that with a dead pan face and see what he does :lol: :twisted: :lol:

We're on day 6 and it's all still pretty low effort for me. I'm still only having to separate when I'm out the room (and then it's only to be on the safe side) and they're still playing together fine, no sign of either one getting frisky. So apart from Ted's regular inspections he seems largely unaffected so far. I KNOW this isn't going to last :lol: but I'm happy that I've gotten 6 days grace so far :D

I'm still walking them together and they're both still fine going off lead, I walk super early and in a place I can see all around me, I'm avoiding dogs generally, certainly males (with or without their balls :wink: ) or dogs we don't know but we saw an elderly GSD ***** we know this morning so I let them greet her. Ella was far less giddy puppy around her than she would usually be and she was very interested in smelling Ella.
Erica

Post by Erica »

MPbandmom wrote:
Erica wrote:His breeder gave us some treat samples from a really nice site. "Best Bully Sticks" has a huge selection of different treats, lots of options for freeze dried and such stuff. I'll be watching it for a sale though; they're expensive.
Actually their prices are great and they are relatively close to you (Richmond, VA) so you should receive shipments quickly. The hard part is that in order to get the great prices, one must buy in bulk. The 50 packs of thin bully sticks are currently on sale for less than $1.00 a piece. In stores and other sites I have looked at $2.00 would be a minimum price and $3.00 is more common. Unfortunately I don't have a spare 50 bucks for dog treats right now, because I do love to stock up when they are at that price.
That's more what I meant - the prices are high, but you get good quality and quantity for them. There's a Labor Day sale through the end of today, so I may browse and see what's there...what we have will last a while though.

I did something daring last night. Delta was getting annoyed about going into his crate (need to play more crate games!), and wanted to sleep in a certain spot right outside it, so I set up the x-pen around that area (the wall and the couch made up two sides, the x pen made the other two) and an alarm for an hour before he normally gets up for a potty break. I only did this because he has proven very good house-training wise, though I am taking him out every hour and when he wakes up from a nap, after he drinks/eats, etc.

He woke me up a little before the alarm, though, by putting his little paws up on the sofa. :) So cute. What was less cute was at the next potty break, at 5 am, he went out, did his business, collected his payment, then came inside and wanted to start playing. I tried to just ignore him, showed him his bully stick, which he chewed on for a bit, singing occasionally (drawn-out whine/bark), before he went quiet and I went "Oh thank goodness" and started actually trying to sleep.

Couple seconds later, I hear something pawing at his food bowl, which is outside of the blocked-off area I'd set up, and I got confused - it wasn't Opal, probably wasn't Little Wing, but Delta was contained...right?

Nope. Little dude had figured out he could slide through the gap between the sofa and the wall. I'm wide awake at this point, so I gave up and fed him breakfast, which he ate most of finally! Seems like whatever was bugging him has gone away and he's really a normal puppy underneath it all.

WufWuf, the collar thing was about a comment my dad had made about me having Delta "all tied up." All he was wearing was a collar and harness (both puppy-scale), not even a leash on at that point in time.

It's wonderful that Honey is in tune with you enough to avoid that guy!

Clare, the blank stare sounds great :lol: I already use it for the kids when they're starting to cross a line. It's juuust unnerving enough that they quickly fix their behavior. (Negative reinforcement, I know, not ideal...but children at their age, are more tricky to train than dogs, and I do focus a lot more on R+!) In any case, a polite discussion would be nice. I do know of vets sort of closeby who support raw feeding and keeping dogs intact at least until grown, but they're a good 30-45 minutes away without traffic. If needs be I can switch there, but I'm hoping these vets will be open to my decisions. Fingers crossed that Ella and Ted remain easy-going for you during this. :)

Re: collars - Yes, I remember one time when Opal got her jaw stuck in Marble's collar too. I'm worried about leaving it too loose though, because it's more likely the other dog can get their jaw underneath it, and then if they flop down or do any number of moves, it can twist and then you're in the same situation. I'm thinking (because I'm a little over-worried about this, I guess) that I'll get a rolled leather slip collar, and then use a small breakaway collar between the two rings, kind of like a martingale. I don't know, we'll see.

Though after a little research, I've found these breakaway round leather necklaces (at the bottom). Hello there!

It actually came up in conversation with the breeder that one of the dogs she'd sold had died because another dog had gotten caught in his collar while nobody was around. Very sad situation. :( Her dogs go naked in the house/yard like our girls do.

Hope everything's okay with the earthquakes!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

ClareMarsh, it's day 7 for Animosh. She was on a post and swivel tie out, and I saw her trying to flirt with her neighbor (neutered) Innoko. Poor Innoko wasn't sure what to make of having her butt shoved into his face. Now the little slut is parked in a pen, just in case one of the intact lads figures out a way to get loose for an unauthorized romp.

I'll cautiously note that the rain has eased off a bit and according to the forecast this storm should be breaking up this afternoon and evening. This morning Trish reminded me of the Ray Bradbury short-story The Long Rain from his Illustrate Man anthology. We both were awakened several times through the night by the incessant sound of rain pounding down on the metal roof of our log house. This current lull is a hopeful sign. When I fed and scooped this morning a lot of the poor dogs were just tucked into their houses, their noses sticking out and looking at me as if saying, "Dad, would you PLEASE make it stop!!!"

This afternoon some of the fuzz-butts have an appointment with Dr. May. Five of them are due for rabies vaccinations, and neither of the two low-cost vax clinics being held in my area this fall are scheduled for times when I'm home from work, so Dr. Mark will a bit earn a bit extra by administering and certifying a vaccination required to comply with a law that is inconsistent with the known duration of vaccines (sigh). I won't snivel too much, though. Three of the five are young dogs legitimately due for their first 3-year vax and for the other two it will likely be the last time they need it, unless I decide to enter them into a fun race at some point in the future or we face some catastrophic problem in the yard more than 3 years from now.

More fun, is that Chetan will be going in for her ultra-sound, to see if there are any little pupsickles squirming around in there. If we get a decent image I'll share it here.

While I'm in town I'll need to make some additional stops, most of which will result in treats magically appearing in front of the dogs in the truck. None of the dogs particularly care for the alleged treats offered at the vet clinic, but one of the planned stops is our local feed store, and they ALWAYS have great, yummy treats for visiting dogs.

Some of my local friends are already starting early-season four-wheeler training with their teams. I'm hopeful I can start doing the same within the next couple of days. My "honey do" list is getting short enough that I can probably steal a few hours each day away from 'winter preparation' projects to just play with dog teams.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

It's official - Chetan has buns baking in the oven. We don't have a puppy count, and probably won't have unless we x-ray about a week before she is due. Once Dr. May Emails the images to me I'll share "first puppy pictures". They are just sonograms, so not much in the way of "aw" factor, but hey, folks ARE asking for puppy pictures.

When we got home I let all the "go dogs" play run-amok for a bit before putting them back on their posts and/or in their pens. After all, they were the "special" dogs today.

On the not so cool side, another moose was struck and killed by a car in front of my place this morning. Guy driving an SUV pulling a travel trailer couldn't stop in time. I wish there were some way to convince people that our road is NOT a race track, and those who drive it are not Mario Andretti. A local charity salvaged the meat for distribution to the needy, so not much waste. I think it might have been the mother of the calf that was killed in the same spot not three weeks ago.

It has stopped raining, but the yard is still a sloppy mess. I hate seeing it in this condition, it's ugly. Not a darned thing I can do about it, though.
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Swanny1790 wrote:ClareMarsh, it's day 7 for Animosh. She was on a post and swivel tie out, and I saw her trying to flirt with her neighbor (neutered) Innoko. Poor Innoko wasn't sure what to make of having her butt shoved into his face. Now the little slut is parked in a pen, just in case one of the intact lads figures out a way to get loose for an unauthorized romp.
Does it drive your boy dogs crazy having a ***** in sniff distance? Also do all your girls come in around the same time?

Day 7, still nothing doing from either dog :D In fact they're both asleep next to me right now. It's so easy to convince myself I'll have 21 days of it being like this, even though I know I won't :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm saving up all my popping into the village/city errands for when it's time so that I can give myself and the dogs a break from it all by taking Ted with me :D I really don't want to take Ella out apart from at quiet times as we live in a such a densely populated area.