What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

WufWuf

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by WufWuf »

Nettle wrote:the terrier is a dainty eater of ice cream - she holds the cone between her front paws and slurps blissfully. :lol:
Argh cute over load just picturing that!

Totally heart busting awesomeness from Honey girl today :D :D :D She barked at me to let her in her bag* :shock: :lol: I know this sounds like a pain but it's amazing when a "broken" dog acts like a "normal" dog. (I didn't respond even though I was about to burst with happiness I put everything down and waited for her to calm down).

Then a fabulous walk where she was basically like a "normal" dog, we got the shopping and went home without her shouting at anyone or even looking like she was going to, all on busy roads where she sniffed and pee'd and didn't throw herself into a wall when cars went past. Joy oh joy I love that little dog <3 :D .

*I was only bringing her bag for the going into shops portion of our journey and then I stick the shoping in for easy transport home :D .
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Nettle wrote:Diane - ice cream is NOT good for dogs. That's why our terrier only gets one a year. She is in great health with no digestive problems, and so it does her no harm. For Sandy's hydration, I suggest you cook up some chicken into a broth, add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon full of honey, remove the chicken and see if he will lap the fluid. It can be whatever temperature he likes, and will keep for a couple of days in the 'fridge.
If I give Jack ice cream or frozen yoghert, I use Haagen Dazs as it has the safest ingredient list available in my area. Generally if I give him anything just for the heck of it, it is actually the frozen yoghurt. and when I do that it is in thumb nail size quantities. the only time he gets anything like Nettle shared is post seizure if it is really bad. in that case around a tablespoon. I also only use vanilla. The purpose is something cold + something to give a quick boost to his blood sugar post seizure. Not only are his seizures pretty intense, lasting around 5 minutes is fairly common.

Funny side story, after one particularly bad seizure for whatever reason (probably got distracted taking care of him) I didn't give him his frozen yoghurt...Jack paced and fussed, would not settle...couldn't figure it out..my wife finally says "would you give him is Haagen Dazs already"....DOH!...soon as he got his table spoon of vanilla frozen yoghurt he settled right down.
Nettle wrote:Jacksdad - fingers crossed for Jack's meds working out. What would have happened to that little chap if he hadn't come to you? You go so many extra miles for him - it's wonderful.
we are really hoping. we have had a couple scary 1 hour long seizures that took emergency vet assistance to come out of this year.
Nettle wrote:Judy and Jacksdad - the terrier is a dainty eater of ice cream - she holds the cone between her front paws and slurps blissfully. :lol:
I should sign Jack up for her manners class.
bendog

Post by bendog »

Was stopped by a lady today whilst walking a dog and she was asking about him and I explained he wasn't mine and she said "well he obviously adores you"

Normally this would be fantastic.

But in reality, today it was like rubbing salt in a wound, because this particular dog is moving to a new home tomorrow so it was his last walk :( :cry:

I KNOW I shouldn't get attached, and I shouldn't have favourites. I've kind of guessed for a while they weren't coping with him (3 kids and a very hyperactive teenage dog) mostly because I was being asked to do more and more walks to keep him out of the house. So it probably is best for him.

And he was a handful in some ways so my group walk will be easier without him.
But I'm really really going to miss him!!

Had a massive cuddle and a face wash before I dropped him off for last time, and owners have said any problems at all with new home and they will have him back rather than send him to rescue etc.
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

We really can't prevent growing attached to dogs, especially those we get to spend quality time with. Otherwise, I doubt I'd have 21 of 'em.

They were all HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY dogs today, in spite of the unrelenting rain. Last winter a neighbor gave us two sides of freezer burned beef. I really needed to make room in the dog-food freezer, so I hauled 'em out and cut them into approximately 2 pound slices with an electric chain saw. Each dog got a slice of long-frozen cow for his or her supper. Except Shadow - I let her have the 'saw dust'.

BTW - there is trick to using a chain saw for cutting frozen meat or fish. Start with a brand new saw and use vegetable rather than bar oil to lubricate the chain. Electric "pole saws" are pretty cheap at most DIY stores (Home Despot, Lowe's, &c). Choose one that looks to be easy to disassemble for cleaning.

Friday was particularly cute with his slice of cow. He's living in a pen with Selene, who is about as sweet a little girl as you can imagine. Friday, being SO trusting (not) grabbed his chunk of cow, DOVE into his house with it, and I don't think he's come out yet. Selene was calmly munching on her's, totally ignoring him.

Aumaruq has been refusing his kibble the past two days, but he had no problem at all chowing down on grass fed beef. He goes off his feed from time to time, and it's totally vexing because he's a very skinny dog to begin with.

Most of the other dogs in pens (I pen dogs in pairs of compatible animals) each took their chunk to opposite corners and enjoyed their supper. I was pleased that there wasn't so much as a snark, let alone any sort of squabbling, while they enjoyed their supper.

While all the dogs are HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY I may regret it tomorrow, when I have to scoop the yard. It was VERY fat beef and I wish I had space to reserve it for the coldest winter days, when they can get better benefit from it.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

There seem to be young unneutered males round every corner at the moment :? I introduced Jasper (on lead) to four King Charles Cavaliers yesterday, he swore at them, I asked if any were young unneutered males, and the owner said, 'Yes, all of them' :shock: :lol: I should have asked before introductions were made!

I'm just working out his food order for the next month... unless I cut down on the variety, it's going to cost £2.61 a day, and I will still probably need a bag of tripe to pad it out. Half of me says I should cut back somehow, the other half of me says it's only similar to a cup of coffee at Costa's, and OH likes beans on toast anyway... I've tried different suppliers, but their meat simply hasn't looked as good.

I might replace the venison chunks with tripe though :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
gwd

Post by gwd »

JudyN wrote: unless I cut down on the variety, it's going to cost £2.61 a day, and I will still probably need a bag of tripe to pad it out.
That's not bad at all. I spend a bit over $200 a month to feed my two and they're much smaller than jasper. Combined weight, my two equal about 85 lbs of dog
gwd

Post by gwd »

JudyN wrote:and OH likes beans on toast anyway...
I understand the notion of comfort food, and that what constitutes comfort food is very much dependent on what you grew up eating (just like mom made!) but I have to say that the beans on toast doesn't look or sound very appetizing to me.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Is beans on toast not standard fare in the US, gwd? :shock: Heinz beans, of course: http://www.heinz.co.uk/Products/Beans/R ... aked-Beanz I was brought up on beans on toast, cheese on toast, poached eggs on toast. My mum would have brought me up on kibble if she could.
gwd

Post by gwd »

JudyN wrote:Is beans on toast not standard fare in the US, gwd? :shock: Heinz beans, of course: http://www.heinz.co.uk/Products/Beans/R ... aked-Beanz I was brought up on beans on toast, cheese on toast, poached eggs on toast. My mum would have brought me up on kibble if she could.
A pot of beans and ham, served with cornbread is pretty common, especially in the south and southwest regions (which bean is in question in the south it's white beans or pink beans, in the southwest it's pinto beans)........ so I guess it's kinda the same thing. But no, baked beans on toast isn't something I've heard of except referenced when watching a BBC show!
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Interesting JudyN. I never would have thought to put beans on toast. The make a good side dish for burgers or hot dogs though. :D I might have to give that a try sometime.

I too am having the how to feed the dogs and the people at the same time issue. Sky eats a pound of meat a day and Sirius about 12 oz. Even on reduced for quick sale, pork generally runs $2.30 a lb and that is at the bargain priced store. Chicken can be found at $0.99 per pound for thighs at the warehouse store, and chicken quarters can be found for $0.69 at the bargain priced store. Beef is a luxury if found on reduced for quick sale at under $4.00 / lb. We bought a freezer to stock up when things are low. I'm told turkeys can be found at $0.49 / lb in November Of course one has to be careful about how much turkey one feeds and I can't say that I am looking forward to cutting it up into dog meal sized portions. We are hoping the hunters in the family will have a bounteous harvest and share some venison this winter. I think I have been spending over $100 a month on food for the dogs, so the price you are looking at looks pretty good to me. :lol:

I have been being a lame owner lately. I am trying couponing and it is taking way more time than I anticipated. I keep thinking there is some organizational step that I am missing. I end up staying up late cutting and organizing coupons, then I oversleep in the morning. We have had a few yard fetch days recently, and the evening outings have been a bit hit or miss as well. It seems like I spend two or three hours a night. One night cutting, one night sorting, one night going through the ads and trying to match up coupons and sales with things we will actually use. On the one hand we are very fortunate to have 5 grocery stores and 3 drug stores within 2 miles of each other. On the other hand it takes a lot longer to go shopping when one gets one or two items from each of those 8 stores. It is enabling us to get more groceries for our money and I am certain it will continue to improve. I just wish I could come up with a more time effective way of doing it all.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Well, I don't know if anyone will remember me because I haven't posted in about a year (and the last post before that was another year back). School has been keeping me really busy, but in the blink of an eye I'm a high school senior.

So Max turned 10 in May. We've had continued success with his weight loss. He went from 26 to 22 pounds over about two and a half years. He did manage to gain a bit while we were on vacation in the Philippines this summer (My parents were on vacation. I was getting volunteer hours.). My cousin was looking after him here in Texas and felt really bad when Max would look up at him after finishing his food. He ended up giving him an extra serving or two a few times a week. At least he's back on track now that he's home with us.

Apparently when we were gone, Max had an awakening experience in the neighbor's yard. My cousin had let him out in his backyard to do his business. Meanwhile, my cousin made a quick trip to the neighbors to catch up with them and grab a beer by the pool. Max must of heard his voice and found a gap in the fence. (I was really surprised about that because my mom and I had inspected that thing and shook all of the fence posts to make sure none were loose.) He got in the neighbor's yard and went to run to my cousin. Somehow he didn't see the pool and fell in the deep end...probably about 10 feet. My cousin said it was a while before he surfaced because he straight up plopped down to the bottom. He was already taking out his wallet and phone to get ready to jump in, but Max finally (thankfully) came up and swam to my cousin at the edge. That would have been a really awkward phone call.

Hmm what else has been going on. Oooo I found some old pictures that explain why Max probably doesn't like being carried.
We got max when I was in 2nd grade. These photos were taken in 2004. (I apologize if these end up waaaay too large. I don't remember if I'm doing this right)
Fortunately, I've learned a lot since then, and it's not a problem anymore. I just find the pictures kinda funny now because we used to be so perplexed by why he wouldn't like being carried.

This is getting long. Please forgive me as it's been a year since I've posted. I've been volunteering at the Houston Humane Society...walking dogs, entertaining cats, helping adopters. It gets quite hot during the summers, so I love to just sit inside with a cat in my lap with some music playing on my iPod and getting volunteer hours for it.

I shadowed for a few days at Max's vet's office and determined that I do not have the personality for that. I'm planning on majoring in Biomedical Engineering because I love biology and medicine, but I don't want to be a doctor of any kind. Everyone seems to think that it would suit me really well. I just haven't decided on a college yet.

School starts again in a couple of days. Teachers have already started emailing homework assignments (which have been what kept me away from the forum for so long). It's so nice to read the posts on here again because I still remember everyone and was feeling really lonely today.
--dontpugme
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Good to hear from you, dontpugme :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes, thanks for keeping in touch :D Stick to your guns about the profession you feel you are suited for - other people can be remarkably good at telling us what they think we want :evil:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Precious is still sleeping.. 2 short walks a day and lots of naps in between seems to be all he can manage- I think I broke my dog :shock: :lol: :lol:
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Yay I'd wondered how you were getting on dontpugme :D Great to hear from you :D :D
Sanna wrote:Precious is still sleeping
Enjoy it while it lasts :mrgreen:

I've had one of those mornings where everything is going wrong, you know, I won't even bother listing the series of unfortunate events I've been through already, kind of think I should just say at home for the rest of the day :roll:

On the bright side the dog food order that was wrong (my fault :oops: ) means that we will be able to get some of the new products that are going to be available in september that were only anounced after I'd placed the order. Honey's never had tripe before and I'm excited that our raw food supplier will be selling it but I'm not too sure how my neighbour will feel about having it in her freezer as I've heard it stinks :? . Maybe I can sweeten the deal with dog cookies (eh for her dog not her :P ).
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules