What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Nettle »

If it's a bag you feel happiest with, Judy, there are small game bags (no, not me :lol: ) you can get for fiteen quid or so from most country sports suppliers. Made in green canvas, they last for years. Don't get the cammo ones though as you'll put them down and never find them again.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Anatine

Post by Anatine »

Thanks for the advice MPbandmom :)
We were going to get started in the autumn, at the moment it's quite hot, even inside, and she doesn't have much energy till later in the evenings.
She normally walks at our sides, or slightly in front, but we do command her to walk in front of us for walking along busy pavements, or through narrow places, so we can get through we ease. We normally just command "in front" and she does it. We can normally get a wait or stop when we jog with her from time to time. But I don't know how well these would translate once she is all strapped up and in front of a bike.
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Sweetie's Human wrote:LOL WufWuf! That sounds absolutely horrendous! I say report it, if only for your own conscience.
So fate decided I should report "F00tie" and 2 Gardai* appeared in the park yesterday evening when I was out with the yorkies :D. They were very nice about it all and said I was right to report it as it could easily escalate, they even managed to slip in a joke about flip flops while still sounding like they did really care. They are going to send the community Garda around during the day and they gave me the number for the station so I can report him if I see him :D .
Your Gardai video reminded me of this http://youtu.be/ZWOkZ_c8vxk (not dog related at all).
That was brilliant, at least the Aussie's copped that they'd been set up :lol: . I've always found Australian humor very similar to the Irish, I loved "Kath & Kim" :P (the original not the American remake).

*I do forget it not an English word but it feels ALL wrong to call them police :lol: here's a p!ss take on how it's pronounced http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAHR1tk5xvU just so ya know "normal" people call them GAR - DEE
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

LOL! Kath and Kim! Haven't seen the American version, but I imagine it would be like what they did to The Office :roll: .

Good on you for reporting it. And I'm glad it was taken seriously.

Little Miss Plonky-Plonk came to my parents' for dinner tonight. She loves it there, and she was very well-behaved while we ate - could have been the frozen kong I took along for her :wink: .
Erica

Post by Erica »

Rosie is getting better and better about not jumping up and mouthing when she gets excited. :D The bruises on my arm haven't quite faded yet but she hasn't made any new ones, so yay! Progress! She's also walking better on leash - I have that x-back sledding harness over here with me and I put it on when I'm feeling too lazy to train a llw. When I want her to walk nicely I put on the harness her family uses.

She's still stealing and destroying things, though. I've started working on this more today. I've put the chase game on cue - "I'm gonna get you!" in a happy playful voice - and added "all done." when I'm not going to chase her anymore. She's learning fast with her toys - I've used her tug toy and a fetch ball for this, so when the game's over we can play a different one. That way she won't dread the end of the game. Hopefully, this means that if she steals something I can just give her the chase game cue, then the quit cue, and she'll stop running from me. Obviously I will also reward her heavily for swapping things!

In the next few days I'll start bringing her over to my house to walk with our dogs, as she'll be spending the night there fairly soon. I'm hoping she'll like the crates we have, because breaking down and transporting hers would require some effort.

What else, what else...

Oh! Sitting in on puppy class tomorrow. :D
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Nettle wrote: Don't get the cammo ones though as you'll put them down and never find them again.
and that is what scent training is for....DUH! :mrgreen: :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

:lol: touche, Jacksdad!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

:lol: I'm not sure Jasper would be much use - when I'd lost my bearings once I tried him on 'Find car' and he peered behind trees and under bushes, as if I might have brought it along with me and hidden it when he wasn't looking.

Yesterday evening I put his tea out in the garden as usual. A couple of raindrops landed on the patio, but I thought he'd easily finish it before it got too heavy. A moment later, there was a crack of thunder, the heavens opened, and he came sprinting through the house with a chicken carcase in his mouth, into the front room where he got on with eating it on the new carpet. We had a terrific storm, and he really wanted to sit next to OH on the sofa (I was cooking), but OH really didn't want to sit next to Mr Stressed-out Snarky-Pants. I pointed out after he should have just sat on the floor with him.

It's a shame, Jasper used to be absolutely fine with storms but I think the hot sultry weather combined with them has changed that - he starts panting when one's just approaching, though that might be partly a physical reaction to the heat & humidity.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I've decided on this bag: http://www.firedog.eu/produkty/firedog/ ... -documents Just struggling to choose between khaki & beige and blue & beige...
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Today, Pixie is mostly helping with the gardening. I've been raking the grass prior to strimming, and chucking bits of twigs and branches onto the bonfire, which Pixie thinks are great fun to catch, then drag straight back onto the lawn again :roll:

She also wants to catch every bit of privet that falls as I'm cutting the hedges.

I'm choosing to see it as a version of stimulating the mind!
bendog

Post by bendog »

I totally freaked out yesterday thinking Sash was peeing blood.

Then she did a purple poo and I remembered she stole and ate a beetroot.
That'd explain it right? :shock:

Other dogs had a lovely time last night practising their "settle" in a pub beer garden about 8.30pm when the weather finally cooled down enough to walk them ;)
Erica

Post by Erica »

bendog wrote:I totally freaked out yesterday thinking Sash was peeing blood.

Then she did a purple poo and I remembered she stole and ate a beetroot.
That'd explain it right? :shock:
I tried to look this up and all I found is that "in there like a dog eating beetroot" is apparently a simile that's used to describe something delicious, because dogs love beetroot. Who knew? Hope she's okay, at any rate! Reminds me how a couple weeks ago Pippin started pooping dark red poop and I got worried...then it was red...then bright yellow, then vivid green, then deep blue....the dog pooped an entire rainbow! Stinker had gotten into the crayons at some point the day before. :P
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

:lol: love your stories! Haven't tried beetroot on the dogs yet, but my parrot loves raw beetroot, and stains his beak and feet purple whenever he has it. Will try it out on the dogs now
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

My guinea pigs used to do purple wee after eating beetroot :D
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

JudyN wrote:I've decided on this bag: http://www.firedog.eu/produkty/firedog/ ... -documents Just struggling to choose between khaki & beige and blue & beige...
I'd vote for khaki and beige, since it'll go with any colour outfit you wear.

Although if you're anything like me, colour coordination is not much of a consideration when it comes to dog walking at least.