Ticks and treatment

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

minkee

Re: Ticks and treatment

Post by minkee »

While we're on the subject... what is 'properly removed'?

I'm sure I've read both "Don't twist, pull!" AND "Don't pull, twist!" - how SHOULD you remove them?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

And does it really have to be anticlockwise....?

'There's only one way to kill a mole' springs to mind :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
lucyandbella

Post by lucyandbella »

Grab as close to skin as possible (the ticks head/mouthparts not body) and pull straight out. Do not twist. Try not to crush it too.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

The head is beneath the skin surface - you can only grip the abdomen as close to the dog's skin as possible. Most of the time the head comes out, but sometimes it doesn't, and that's no big deal. The skin forms a lump with a scab at the top that contains the tick head. Then the scab sloughs off. Picking with simian fingers is a no-no. Let it come off in its own time.

Honestly, this isn't worth stressing over. A healthy dog with a tick here and there will continue to be a healthy dog. While it is sensible to get the tick off and destroy it as soon as you can, most ticks on most dogs don't cause problems. Yes Lymes is nasty, and in different countries there exists a number of other tick-bourne diseases that need respect, but if you get the tick off and treat the site, you can keep generations of dogs safely. You can only do what you can do.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. The biggest real tick problem where I live (that I'm aware of), is with the Australian paralysis tick. 'My' vet gets a few pets each season suffering from the paralysis. The species may be limited in range, but since I/we are in the middle of that range, it's very worth being careful. Cheers. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixodes_holocyclus
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

If I had a dog with a thick coat or a dog that didn't allow me to handle him all over I'd likely use monthly preventative. With Tucker I can give him VERY thorough tick checks every day as he lets me get everywhere. At one point I wasn't checking between his toes and that was a mistake, found a big engorged one. So now toes are part of our routine and I'm more careful overall. If I'm diligent I figure I'll find ticks in around the same amount of time it takes for a preventative to kill them. If I could give him advantix I might go that route instead because it actually repels, thus is able to do more than I am with tick checks. But with two cats who come in close contact with him I'm not comfortable with advantix.
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

I just found a tick on Sweetie for the first time, and pulled it off before I realised what it was - she's never had one before. There was a little bit of blood, but the tick is very small - no more than 2mm - so I assume it hadn't been attached long.

Of course, being the first time I've found one on her I panicked and made OH come and cuddle her while I checked every inch of her for others :roll: - all clear.

I do have some questions, though, and I'd really appreciate the collective knowledge of the forum:

1. On close inspection, I think I got the head. It's basically disc-shaped except for a small point off to one side which I assume is the head. However there is a small lump on her chi-chi where it was attached, but I gather that is normal? Please tell me it's normal?

2. I was surprised because she's only had her Advocate last weekend, but I now discover that Advocate doesn't cover ticks :roll: . From memory, we chose Advocate because it covers heartworm and many others don't. I don't want to get into a big discussion about whether or not to use anything (we live in Australia where there are insects and critters everywhere and I've researched it and we've decided to chemically treat her each month because of the heightened risks where we live) but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a particular product that does cover all the main nasties?

3. Does a topical treatment on the dog also treat the environment in which the dog lives, like it would if there were just a few fleas?

4. I know to look for signs of paralysis, but is there anything else we should be looking out for (first tick, proper panic!).

5. We haven't put anything on the area yet. I'm wondering if tea tree oil would be a good idea?

6. Anything else we should know/do?

Any and all comments greatly appreciated.

Sweetie's Human

Also - I think I have some lavender oil somewhere if that is helpful
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Forgive me for not multiquoting :)

1. Normal.
2. Best check with your vet, then research those recommendations yourself as not all vets know everything about each product - but the manufacturers do.
3. No
4. Check with vet
5. Lavender is better - not so strong. Tea tree is second choice.
6. Don't panic- well, try not to. Once you've done all you can, you can't do any more

Sweetie's Human

Thank you Nettle! (x 6!)

Off to pull apart the linen cupboard to find the lavender oil. Poor puppy is about to be woken up...
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. We live just northwest of Brisbane and my vet recommended Advantix Fleas & ticks for us (a monthly treatment). It's claimed to be effective against a few bitey nasty critters including ticks and fleas, and we've had no trouble to date (touch wood).

I still keep a close eye out for unsteadiness or weakness in the back legs. It's a RED flag for paralysis tick and means an emergency trip to the vet. I hate ticks. They're evil.
Sweetie's Human

Thanks MBF. We're the other side of Bris. I'll look into Advantix. I liked Advocate because it covers so much, but I'm annoyed at myself for not realising it doesn't cover ticks. We'll definitely be keeping a close eye on her.
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

It's a small world. We often walk along Cabbage Tree Ck or in Bunyaville State Forest. Cheers. :)
jodieohdoh

Post by jodieohdoh »

Nettle wrote:The head is beneath the skin surface - you can only grip the abdomen as close to the dog's skin as possible. Most of the time the head comes out, but sometimes it doesn't, and that's no big deal. The skin forms a lump with a scab at the top that contains the tick head. Then the scab sloughs off. Picking with simian fingers is a no-no. Let it come off in its own time.

Honestly, this isn't worth stressing over. A healthy dog with a tick here and there will continue to be a healthy dog. While it is sensible to get the tick off and destroy it as soon as you can, most ticks on most dogs don't cause problems. Yes Lymes is nasty, and in different countries there exists a number of other tick-bourne diseases that need respect, but if you get the tick off and treat the site, you can keep generations of dogs safely. You can only do what you can do.
Hi Nettle, Sweetie's Human, all!

My pups has a tick on the back of his rear leg thigh which is fairly engorged. I am a little worried about pulling it out because the area to the right and around it is really quite swollen. My question is, should I yank the critter out and get him checked over at the vets in the morning, or wait and let the vet do it?

Thanks very much in advance for your advice.

Jo
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Whatever you feel happiest with. If you are seeing the vet tomorrow, s/he may as well get the tick out. When ticks are full they pick off easily. But if you don't feel confident, watch the vet. :)