English Bulldog won't exercise

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

cheesehawk

English Bulldog won't exercise

Post by cheesehawk »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me. I have a 4 month old English Bulldog pup. I know they aren't exactly the most active dogs, but I can't seem to get mine more than about 20 yards from my door. Once out the door, he just wants to find a comfortable spot to sit down. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment complex, so there is no suitable place for him to potty so close to my door. Once I get him moving (sometimes can take 15-20 minutes) he does alright, and stays relatively close to me, but my problem is I can't get him into the mindset that the walk is fun and he should want to go for a walk at all.

Any ideas?
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

What types of things have you tried to motivate him to walk with you? What type of collar or harness are you using?
cheesehawk

Post by cheesehawk »

ckranz wrote:What types of things have you tried to motivate him to walk with you? What type of collar or harness are you using?
I have just a standard collar with a short lead. I've tried motivating him with treats, and attention. The treats he's almost completely oblivious to outside, and the attention only works on his terms, if he doesn't feel like moving, no amount of petting or praise works. Inside, he's pretty good about the "Come" command, but not quite 100% yet. Outside, there's just too many sounds/distractions, he rarely listens. My biggest problem is getting him the first 30 yards or so away from my house, once past that, he understands we're going for a walk, and happily, albeit slowly, leads the way.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

What are you using for treats. I know some dogs can be real picky, but I have a few ideas which I have not seen fail as of yet:

Babyfood (the all meat puree's) lamb and veal work very well to give my dogs extra motivation.

Chicken gizzards and innards (left over from a roasted whole chicken. You can freeze the gibblets and dices them into small treats.

String cheese

Freeze dried tripe

Fried liver

Leftover steak or beef roast or pork roast

These types of treat are very motivating to most dogs If using the store bought crackers and buscuits those have very little value to your dog (aside from nutritional content)

You may also want to try leash walking around the house a bit to get the blood flowing.

Keep things very light hearted and fun. Since he is 4 months, make sure your walks are not very long....2 15 minute walks with give you more benfits than 1 30 minute walk.

If for any reason you doubt your dog will come when called...do not call him. This will only create a poined cue which your dog thinks he can ignore.

Describe his body postures when you go out the door. Does he charge through to get out, does he go to sniff and check things out? Does he potty right away? Show signs of nervousness? When he stops, what is your response?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

4 months isn't very old at all. The outside world can be scary. Take your time with him and be patient. At that age, I take my pups for a short run in the car, then take them out and let them play, but if you are taking him out for potty trips, a car ride isn't such a good idea!

Oh, and don't let him 'lead the way' because you are setting yourself up for a dog that pulls on the lead. Have him beside you.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

bull dogs are highly stubborn. you have to trick him into thinking the walk/exercise is his idea.
if you find a treat that gets his attention use it. if you have to use a toy to keep him motivated use it...

because of their stature I'd recommend a harness rather than a flat buckle collar, don't get into a pulling contest... you'll loose. I promise that.

my neighbor across the road has a 9mo old eng. bull dog, his name is Stubby and he's Molly's new little best friend. I have a knot on my shin from his big ol' meathead... (he ran into me full bore... owwie)
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
cheesehawk

Post by cheesehawk »

ckranz wrote: Describe his body postures when you go out the door. Does he charge through to get out, does he go to sniff and check things out? Does he potty right away? Show signs of nervousness? When he stops, what is your response?
I've been implementing most of these techniques, and it has helped but not completely fixed our walks. He's not scared of outside, and usually will walk right out the door any chance he gets. He waits at the top of the stairs for me to pick him up and carry him down, then will walk about 5 feet from the bottom of the stairs, plop himself down, and just stare at the world.

Sometimes he'll just stand there, not wanting to move, and any amount of nudging I do just causes him to spread his front legs, and hunker down and not let me pull him.

I try to wait him out, saying "Buddy Come!" maybe once to try to get him to follow. I might offer a treat, but I wont give it to him until he actually starts moving again. Sometimes it might work, but usually, I just have to sit with him until he decides he's ready for the walk...
cheesehawk

Post by cheesehawk »

I've been implementing most of these techniques, and it has helped but not completely fixed our walks. He's not scared of outside, and usually will walk right out the door any chance he gets. He waits at the top of the stairs for me to pick him up and carry him down, then will walk about 5 feet from the bottom of the stairs, plop himself down, and just stare at the world.

Sometimes he'll just stand there, not wanting to move, and any amount of nudging I do just causes him to spread his front legs, and hunker down and not let me pull him.

I try to wait him out, saying "Buddy Come!" maybe once to try to get him to follow. I might offer a treat, but I wont give it to him until he actually starts moving again. Sometimes it might work, but usually, I just have to sit with him until he decides he's ready for the walk...
dobiemuse

Post by dobiemuse »

It is hard to say what else you could do without seeing what is going on, but the only thing I would add to the advice is to be patient. If it helps a little, it is helping. As long as you keep making progress... no matter how small... you are doing well.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

It sounds as though he does not willing walk down stairs. Are these outdoor stairs with cement steps, or carpeted indoor steps leading to a lobby area. What type of flooring is the lobby?

Is the the weather in your area frequently hot where a cool surface my be enticing to chill on?

If the steps are out door types, what type of surface would your balcony area leading too the steps have as compared to the steps and the landing below....smooth, rough?

What sounds or smells might be bothering him?
dobiemuse

Post by dobiemuse »

I was also thinking about this because it was something I suggested to my mom dealing with a different problem, but the solution might help.

Try massage. If you change the body posture, you change the mind set. Massage is often the easiest way to do this especially when the pup is nervous. It isn't a magic wand, but it might get you a step further in the progress.

Also remember... when teaching something new especially to a puppy, it isn't unusual to suddenly go back a few steps. Puppies are cute, but can be frustrating at times. :roll:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Walking down stairs is difficult for short legged dogs and worse for pups. My vet told me that and small dog shouldn't be allowed to walk up and down steps or stairs, it over stretches the legs and can cause propblems with muscles and ligaments, especially the crutial ligament.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
loza123

Post by loza123 »

Also as far as the treats go you could try warming up abit of meat? Dogs love hot food much more then cold :D
Cracker

Post by Cracker »

I think all puppies go through this stage....it is often a case of "overwhelm"...yay I'm going outside!! OMG I"M OUTSIDE!! :shock:

I agree that finding an overwhelmingly good food to use and also to do some physical touch to rev him up a bit can help. Does he like squeaky toys? Crinkly plastic water bottles (yes they are the scourgeof the earth, but dogs LOVE EM) etc to try to distract him and get his attention back on you?

Bullies are especially prone to not wanting to walk..it takes some time and your guy is young and needs lots of encouragement so keep trying! Of course, once he decides the world is not as intimidating you will have the opposite issues! LOL
Maggi Burtt
Tailspin Petworx

[img]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/tailspinpetworx/Picture010-1.jpg[/img]
passionate61

Post by passionate61 »

:D Hi, do you have a friend with a dog, who could come and go walking with you. You may find that having another dog there your boy will get excited about going for a walk, may entice him into action, especially if it's a doggy of the opposite sex :wink: :D