Fish treat smell?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

WufWuf

Fish treat smell?

Post by WufWuf »

I got some smoked mackerel on special offer and I want to make cookies with them but them problem is that Mr Wuf will not be impressed if the flat smells like fish :roll: . I can cook them while he's at work if I could be sure the smell will be gone by the evening but it's one of those things where it's just not fair on him and I'd rather just give the cats and Honey the mackerel as is if the smell will linger.

Has any one made fish treats and does the smell linger baring in mind it's a very small room I'll be cooking them in? I did come across a bacon chip cookie recipe that I HAVE to try as they sound awesome so I can make them if the fish is a no go :D .
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Sweetie's Human

Re: Fish treat smell?

Post by Sweetie's Human »

How long will they be in the oven? If it's only a short time and you can open a few windows you might be OK. but I would think that if you're trying to get something really crispy you'd have more of a lingering smell.
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Hmm I wanted to get them pretty dried out, thinking maybe it might not be the best idea as you say it might linger more if I'm cooking them for a few hours, bacon chip cookies it is so :P I'll use some of the mackerel for tomorrows training so I'm sure Honey will be delighted anyway 8) .
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

A raw onion cut in half will absorb smells, but whether it is strong enough to counteract fish I don't know.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Thanks Nettle, I think I was hoping against hope someone would say it's not too smelly but really I know would be :lol: .

The onion is a great idea and I might try it the next time I'm making liver cake as Mr. Wuf is not too keen on the smell, though he puts up with it for his little princess :P I'm sure he'd prefer the onion.
Sweetie's Human

Onion sounds interesting. Might try it next time I do something smelly in the kitchen for Sweetie. I usually just open all the windows and doors and try not to hurl!!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Disclaimer: NOT RECOMMENDING THIS, BUT:

Old kennelmen and grooms used to hang up bunches of raw onions in kennels/stables (where the occupants couldn't get at them) to reduce the risk of infections developing.

The onion is a beast of mystery - there may actually be something in this.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

microwave a halved lemon, that also cuts down on smells for some reason (also cuts through grease when cleaning a microwave!). If you're gonna store the fish in the fridge, biocarbonate of soda in an open cup helps to absorb smells, can also be used to clean down any surfaces you've used.
Sweetie's Human

Actually Nettle, you've just reminded me that I read somewhere that a cut onion beside a person with a flu or cold while they sleep can draw out infection to the point that the onion goes black. Never tried it and I have no idea if it works, but it would fit in with the theory you've heard. Apparently it's also the reason you should use an onion as soon as you cut it.

Might try this next time I cook something really pungent. most likely to be tonight!
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Nettle wrote:The onion is a beast of mystery
:lol: Ha! "beast of mystery"! love it! :lol:
ScarletSci wrote:microwave a halved lemon
Good idea! I also save citrus peels (put them in a freezer bag) and simmer them in a small sauce pan on the stove to help with odors - if you don't mind a slight vinegar smell you can simmer them in a 50/50 water and vinegar mix. I have a very small house and the kitchen opens to the dining/living room (ha! I have a coveted "open floorplan" :lol: ), and this definitely helps.

I will have to try the onion tip, too! Just to see that beast of mystery in action! :P :mrgreen:
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Sweetie's Human wrote:Actually Nettle, you've just reminded me that I read somewhere that a cut onion beside a person with a flu or cold while they sleep can draw out infection to the point that the onion goes black. Never tried it and I have no idea if it works, but it would fit in with the theory you've heard. Apparently it's also the reason you should use an onion as soon as you cut it.

Might try this next time I cook something really pungent. most likely to be tonight!
I had a stinking cold appear yesterday, wishing I'd read this before I went to bed! Has to be worth a try, right? :D
Sweetie's Human

Ooh you can be the guinea pig then! (Sorry - don't mean to sound excited at you having a cold!) Let us know what happens - especially if the onion goes black (eeeww). I hope you feel better soon, whether it's from the onion or not!