Crufts 2014

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

minkee

Crufts 2014

Post by minkee »

Has anyone been watching? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L4hCC7ZBPo I don't know if this link will be right all over the weekend, right now it's a live feed (9am on Friday) (agility, medium dogs!)

I didn't see anything yesterday but I'm going to have it on today and see what we can see. The Ibizan Hounds are going today - I'm not 100% sure, but I think Breeze's mum, sister and brother will be competing, as well as perhaps another brother. Possibly even his father too! I should probably keep better track of who does what but a lot of it is gobbledegook to me! So look out for the Snowliefs, though I don't suppose we'll see any of them until the Hound Group winners part. His sire might be there too, whose name has 'Gold' in it. I can't remember properly :shock:

("Oliver the Dark One" a 12 year old patterdale x JRT just got second place in the medium agility! What a hero! More dogs to go though)

Lets hope no lame dogs win this year, and dream on that some healthy looking dogs win in *those* groups
JudyN

Re: Crufts 2014

Post by JudyN »

Yes, I've been watching it :D I did like the Samoyed that won the Pastoral group. I did wonder about the many comments about how skin folds on mastiff-type breeds should never be exaggerated... you could have re-covered a whole new dog with all the extra bits flapping around some of their faces!

Very much looking forward to terriers & hounds this evening - I'll be watching out for Breeze's rellies and rooting for them :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
katej215

Post by katej215 »

JudyN wrote:Very much looking forward to terriers & hounds this evening - I'll be watching out for Breeze's rellies and rooting for them
Me too !
It's been such a lovely spring day today I thought I'd quite like to go out for some drinks and food later...then I remembered it's the terriers tonight, so maybe we'll stay in :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Was that Breeze's brother in the group line-up? :D :D :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Call me heartless and unfeeling, but is it just me who would rather watch more of the judging than hear about how people met their partners through their dogs? And am I alone in getting fed up with the 'Friends for Life' competition? Yes, I feel for all the disadvantaged disabled people, and it's great that their dogs bring meaning and comfort to their lives, but it seems to be far more about the person than the dog, and I watch Crufts for the dogs... [ducks to avoid flak]

Still - Although my favourite in the hound section was the saluki, and I also had my fingers crossed for who I think might be Breeze's brother, I was delighted to see the wolfhound win :D

Did anyone else see the Poovac featured on yesterday's programme? I suppose if you have a lot of dogs it might be a good idea... maybe... but does the website really need to suggest that picking up poo the old-fashioned way is not 'dignified'?.... Actually, I've just spotted that it incorporates a leaf blower function too.... choose the right setting and that sure could beat the hell out of a Super Soaker :lol:
minkee

Post by minkee »

Yes Breeze's mum won best ***** for the 3rd year running and his brother topped that by getting best in breed, hurray for them! I've not seen any video of it yet though - I can only see hound group highlights, which has the final 8 or so in on youtube - was busy tonight. Very pleased for them :) Dan says he feels a mixture of disapproval (he doesn't like this whole showing business), envy and pride :)
minkee

Post by minkee »

And so they're not left out, here's his uncles riding some horses??

Those two were in the discover dogs section today if anyone was there to see them
Erica

Post by Erica »

$250 and having to lug that giant thing around? I'll stick with a roll of bags in my pocket. :shock:

Congrats to Breeze's family!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Wes

Post by Wes »

Saw a couple of Dobermans from a breeder in the UK whom I would LOVE to purchase a pup from, but know it'd cost an arm and a leg to get one shipped over here. :(
gwd

Post by gwd »

JudyN wrote:Call me heartless and unfeeling, but is it just me who would rather watch more of the judging than hear about how people met their partners through their dogs?
Um..........I answered an advert for a pet and married my breeders son. :lol:
gwd

Post by gwd »

So I've just finished watching the herding group. .........major differences in crufts vs Westminster. Handling. HUGE difference in the presentation of the dogs. A special (finished champion) in the US rarely if ever will break gait. They are expected to show with their head held at the correct position, and gait in a straight line........ no pulling, crabbing, weaving....... and mos def not putting their head down. It seems as if the US dogs are trained better for the show ring.

Handler dress. Much more casual in the UK. Seems much more sensible actually. At Westminster all of the woman dress as if they're the mother of the bride. Crufts handlers look far more comfortable.
gwd

Post by gwd »

Herding group was really lovely. I can't fault the placements .........well, with one exception. Loved the Sammie, loved the beardie, I'd have given the group 3 placement to the pyre.......... the pull was deserving of the 4th placement. ..........her short list was the same as mine....... except for the gad.
katej215

Post by katej215 »

Fantastic to see the wire winning the terriers! :D I noticed there were quite a few terrier breeds missing this year that were there last year..no smooth, no bedlington and no doubt others...How does it work then? I thought the champion of each breed went through to the group final, does that mean they don't always have classes for every breed each year? And if not , is this down to numbers able to attend?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

katej215 wrote:I noticed there were quite a few terrier breeds missing this year that were there last year..no smooth, no bedlington and no doubt others...How does it work then? I thought the champion of each breed went through to the group final, does that mean they don't always have classes for every breed each year? And if not , is this down to numbers able to attend?
I think you must have just watched the highlights :wink: They start with around 20-30 group winners in each group, and the judge then selects 8-10 to look at more closely, and the rest leave the ring. There were definitely a bedlington and a smooth fox terrier in the larger group - OH was quite taken by the smooth fox terrier and was disappointed he didn't go through.

Gwd, I agree about the handling. So many of the dogs seem to be more or less dragged round, and I can't work out why they don't train them to move better on lead. Maybe we want them to be a bit more 'natural', but in that case, why keep pulling their head up with the lead?
bendog

Post by bendog »

Exactly Judy, I thought the same. Why drag them? Just train them!

I was cheering on the ones who were happily running round, not being hauled around. Breezes brother looked gorgeous, just like Breeze!

Ashamed to admit I get bored very easily of watching Crufts, but I do like seeing all the different breeds