My dog wont eat his dog food anymore

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

mjemere

My dog wont eat his dog food anymore

Post by mjemere »

What should I do. He' got used to his "treats" like hot dogs, bacon etc. Now when I put out his regular dog food he isn't eating it. How can I get him to get back to eating his dog food???
jacksdad

Re: My dog wont eat his dog food anymore

Post by jacksdad »

can you tell us a bit about the food your trying to feed. brand, product line, ingredients etc
mjemere

Post by mjemere »

jacksdad wrote:can you tell us a bit about the food your trying to feed. brand, product line, ingredients etc
He's been eating Blue Buffalo Basics for 5 months now. We've been going to training the past 2 weeks and they said to bring treats so IVe been letting him have hot dogs and beef for training and/or if he does something good...now I think that's all he wants. :(
mjemere

Post by mjemere »

mjemere wrote:
jacksdad wrote:can you tell us a bit about the food your trying to feed. brand, product line, ingredients etc
He's been eating Blue Buffalo Basics for 5 months now. We've been going to training the past 2 weeks and they said to bring treats so IVe been letting him have hot dogs and beef for training and/or if he does something good...now I think that's all he wants. :( Oh I also put this salmon oil on top of his breakfast.
Erica

Post by Erica »

How much kibble do you feed him a day, how big is he, and how much does he get in training treats?

We always mix in a bit of "people food" to our dogs' kibble, to keep it a bit different and to keep them from getting bored with their food. Leftover meat meals, rice, etc. It's not much - about a quarter of a hamburger each, for example - but they sure love it.

Have you checked with your vets about this?
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
mjemere

Post by mjemere »

Erica wrote:How much kibble do you feed him a day, how big is he, and how much does he get in training treats?

We always mix in a bit of "people food" to our dogs' kibble, to keep it a bit different and to keep them from getting bored with their food. Leftover meat meals, rice, etc. It's not much - about a quarter of a hamburger each, for example - but they sure love it.

Have you checked with your vets about this?
I give him 1/3 of a cup twice a day. My vet told me that's the right amount. I think I was giving him too much of the training treats. :oops: Every time he would do something good, I would give him a treat to encourage him. This just started today. He NEVER missed his meals. In fact I bought a special bowl so he doesn't eat it too fast. This is not good. I'm worried now. This morning he later ate his breakfast after I gave him a nice walk but he never ate his dinner.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

New bowls sometimes smell bad to dogs. Give it a good soak in clean water.

If this has only happened today, it isn't worth worrying about. Chances are he isn't hungry. How old is he? Could he be teething?

Training treats work well even when really tiny - the size of your pinkie nail is sufficient.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS