New Spay and Neuter study

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jacksdad

New Spay and Neuter study

Post by jacksdad »

Looks like a new spay and neuter study has been published.

http://speakingforspot.com/blog/2014/01 ... ign=buffer

Not sure when I will have time to actually read the study, but the summary in the blog does seem to support the concerns some of us here raise about how current spay and neuter is advised, practiced and legislated.

I would caution this though. Do NOT based any spay/neuter choices on the blog summery, actually read the study it's self. Try to understand does the collected data fit the conclusions or not. And from that, rather than the blog post, decide if the study should factor into your choice.
Nettle

Re: New Spay and Neuter study

Post by Nettle »

Thanks for finding that, Jacksdad. I think it's great that new studies are being made on this contentious subject.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Wes

Post by Wes »

I really need to not read the comments on those articles. I do want to see them do a study on small breeds though, just to shut up the opposition that "well, it could be breed specific" or "it's large breed specific, spay/neuter small breeds at 8 weeks." Both of those comments I have heard when discussing with vets/other trainers/clients. :roll:
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

some aspects could be breed specific though. things like which cancer is more likely to happen if you don't spay and neuter or which are if you do spay and neuter.

What I STRONGLY suspect isn't breed specific is the affect on physical, emotional, and behavioral development due to hormones being cut off.