Help! My dog gets humped everywhere he goes...

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

mjemere

Help! My dog gets humped everywhere he goes...

Post by mjemere »

So Jack is a 1 year old Morkie. He's shy but when he opens up he's playful and great. I notice though, male dogs always try to hump him and Jack gives me a look like "Help ME!!" and I take the dogs off of him or the owner of that dog does. Thing is, it happens EVERYWHERE we go even at the dog park. Some say that since Jack is a submissive dog, the male dogs are proving their domanance with him. Others say its sexual. At this point, I jsut wnat it to stop lol. YEsterday when he was getting humped at the dog park I didnt do anything just to see if he would fight them off but he didnt. He just let it happen. Is this something I should be concerned about??? What can I do to help Jack with this??? Thanks.
Nettle

Re: Help! My dog gets humped everywhere he goes...

Post by Nettle »

Yes you should stop any chance of this happening, as you thought. This means watching dog/dog interaction more closely and aiming to separate the dogs before one gets on top of yours. It can only happen if you let it happen. It isn't sexual, it's bullying, and just as you wouldn't stand by and let your child be bullied, you do the same with your dog.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
mjemere

Post by mjemere »

Nettle wrote:Yes you should stop any chance of this happening, as you thought. This means watching dog/dog interaction more closely and aiming to separate the dogs before one gets on top of yours. It can only happen if you let it happen. It isn't sexual, it's bullying, and just as you wouldn't stand by and let your child be bullied, you do the same with your dog.

Thank you! I knew it was a form of bullying/dominance. I think they can sense his "weakness" and then they just all of a sudden get on top of him. I hate it and i can tell by his face he hates it too. He's just a nice, sweet dog that wants to play UGH I hate that this happens to him.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I will immediately step in on my dog's behalf if another dog tries to hump him. In the moment that it's happening I could care less why it is, dominance, bully, sensing weakness, etc, etc. All that matters is that my dog doesn't like it, it causes him to "go offensive" which I don't want and if he does risks things escalating. So I step in asap.

I have gotten pretty good at anticipating and can generally prevent it from happening. my dog eventually caught on to my helping him and often will give me a small window of time to step in before he task matters into his own hands.

I will also not let him hump other dogs. I just call him back to me he starts to, and so far he has listened.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

mjemere wrote:YEsterday when he was getting humped at the dog park...
Yep. Don't let that happen. Step in and protect your boy.
But it's a challenge for an average human to catch up with off leash dogs in a dog park.... unless you are an Olympic sprinter, how are you going to be protecting him all the time?

I would give that dog park a break, at least for a while.
Him being humped all the time is not good.
You stepping in and protecting him is better... but let's not mistake you protecting him from being bullied all the time for him having fun... It's still stressful.

Take him for walks, enjoy the interactions, explore the world together... Forget the dog park.
mjemere

Post by mjemere »

Ari_RR wrote:
mjemere wrote:YEsterday when he was getting humped at the dog park...
Yep. Don't let that happen. Step in and protect your boy.
But it's a challenge for an average human to catch up with off leash dogs in a dog park.... unless you are an Olympic sprinter, how are you going to be protecting him all the time?

I would give that dog park a break, at least for a while.
Him being humped all the time is not good.
You stepping in and protecting him is better... but let's not mistake you protecting him from being bullied all the time for him having fun... It's still stressful.

Take him for walks, enjoy the interactions, explore the world together... Forget the dog park.
Yes, good point. I just know he loves to play with other dogs but I dont want it to be at teh expense of his well being. I love him so much and I dont want anything to make him feel bad.