Thoughts on Photo Op?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

k9Queen

Thoughts on Photo Op?

Post by k9Queen »

Theo (The Dog) And Beau (The Toddler) Star In A Naptime Love Story http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/1 ... oseOverlay

Should You Share That Cute Dog and Baby Photo? http://www.dogsandbabieslearning.com/20 ... aby-photo/

Yes, Theo is just a puppy, but he WILL get bigger and their tolerance level might not be the same as when they were puppies. But I can still see disasters happening even with a puppy. As someone commented, animals have suffocated babies, which is why doctors tell people to keep animals out of the baby's room. Also, their mouths are not the cleanest and I don't think it's safe for even puppies to be licking babies.

On another note, I am all for adoptions of dogs of any age, but puppies have a big tendency to draw in people that have this fantasy where puppies never grow. Those puppies will be given away, sold, dumped, brought to shelters, neglected and so on. Puppies are more of a novelty to most people and it wears off fast. Because Christmas is coming, this is the time of year (besides Valentine's Day and birthdays) when people get animals as gifts. In the article, the woman said that when she saw the puppies face, she knew that she had to get him. That’s exactly what concerns me greatly. The cuteness factor and the “case of the warm and fuzzies” are huge issues. So many adult dogs are past by because nobody wants an older dog or a senior dog because they aren’t cute anymore. There was another article celebrating senior dogs, which I thought was great. Granted, the facts were not completely true, which was disappointing. But the thought of celebrating older dogs was great. As for the case of the warm and fuzzies, a lot people don’t think things through and do things that impact others, often times negatively. In this case, the dogs are used to support a feel good attitude. In the comment section of this article, people were putting down someone for speaking the truth, but because they weren’t blinded and sucked into the cuteness factor, they were criticized for being a “downer”.
DianeLDL

Re: Thoughts on Photo Op?

Post by DianeLDL »

I agree with you. And, I believe that is why older dogs end up in shelters. The same can be said of kittens.

I believe that our dog, a chihuahua ended up on the shelter the first time when he turned out not to fit the norm. He has the deer chihuahua head and long legs and larger body. Whoever got him as a puppy even registered his chip with Home Again. Then, he ended up at the shelter? My thought is he grew up and stqrted not to look like or fit the cute mini chi that so many adore.

I noticed that the dog is brought into the baby's bed after the toddler has gone to sleep. And there is no mention of how the toddler is being trained to handle a puppy. Toddlers can be very rough and two year olds (the age where they say no to everything and appear rebellious could easily start something with the dog.

And one thing in the article really caught my eye. The puppy and toddler have fights. Who will take the blame when the toddler gets bitten? The puppy and then back to the shelter or worse.

These parents are irresponsible as well as impulsive. The photos may look good, but there is danger to either or both lurking under the surface.

Thanks for bringing this up. Sorry, I am playing catch up having been on the road.

We arrive home in Albuquerque tomorrow after the mist stressful and exhausting physically and emotionally trip ever.

Even Sandy will be happy to be home in his own bed tomorrow, :D

Diane
Currently spending our last night on the road in Flagstaff, AZ
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I really loathe seeing this kind of cutesie stuff because it has the potential for grief and disaster on so many levels.

And have none of these people ever heard of worms? :shock: No matter how well-reared a puppy, it is a worm factory for the first year.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
minkee

Post by minkee »

I think the second link makes some really good points and I think I broadly agree. I had a little girl at an event I was photographing recently immediately grab her pug and swing it up to by her face when she saw I was going to take a photo. I asked her instead to kneel down with the dog on the floor and it made both me and the pug a lot more comfortable!
bendog

Post by bendog »

Like you've all already said : I don't like the fact that the mum seems to have put the puppy there, rather than it being free choice, I don't like that the pup has been seemingly dragged off the street and immediately into the childs bed - worms etc would worry me too, and I don't like the age of the kid or the pup - far too easy for the kid to grab the dog roughly, even unintentionally whilst asleep, or for the pup to get squashed. And of course, as
diane mentioned, people get a cute pup, but then don't put the work in and end up with an out of control adult dog.

I'm not dead against kid-dog photos, in fact I do often think it is sweet, but the dog has to be happy with it.
A pup i walk lives with 2 young girls and she genuinely does seem to have a great relationship with them, and Poppy really really surprised me in France by choosing to sit with the 12 year old daughter of the family I stayed with. But she was much less comfortable with my noisy rambunctious boy cousins!

This is Charlie and Poppy in france with Tia who is 12 within a few hours of meeting her- :mrgreen:
k9Queen

Post by k9Queen »

Nettle wrote:I really loathe seeing this kind of cutesie stuff because it has the potential for grief and disaster on so many levels.

And have none of these people ever heard of worms? :shock: No matter how well-reared a puppy, it is a worm factory for the first year.
When I volunteered at a shelter, I got to learn about how puppies are born with worms and you can tell by how round their bellies are. It makes me wonder how many people are completely unaware of this? Not only is it a health hazard for the puppy, but for other animals and humans. Some people believe that the puppies are simply well fed, not even realizing that their puppy might have a a worm infested belly! :shock:
k9Queen

Post by k9Queen »

bendog wrote:Like you've all already said : I don't like the fact that the mum seems to have put the puppy there, rather than it being free choice, I don't like that the pup has been seemingly dragged off the street and immediately into the childs bed - worms etc would worry me too, and I don't like the age of the kid or the pup - far too easy for the kid to grab the dog roughly, even unintentionally whilst asleep, or for the pup to get squashed. And of course, as
diane mentioned, people get a cute pup, but then don't put the work in and end up with an out of control adult dog.

I'm not dead against kid-dog photos, in fact I do often think it is sweet, but the dog has to be happy with it.
A pup i walk lives with 2 young girls and she genuinely does seem to have a great relationship with them, and Poppy really really surprised me in France by choosing to sit with the 12 year old daughter of the family I stayed with. But she was much less comfortable with my noisy rambunctious boy cousins!

This is Charlie and Poppy in france with Tia who is 12 within a few hours of meeting her- :mrgreen:
The difference with the photo you posted is that everyone is relaxed, nobody is hugging, not much touchy, grabby action. The dogs appear to be able to walk away at anytime. Now that I am beginning to learn more about behaviors, I like to use past photos as educational tools to spot what's wrong with a photo and what should be happening. I found that I do have some photos that I should have shown more respect for my other dog. Some tongue flicking action was captured, with some ears back. I'm surprised that she showed tolerance. Also, I would sometimes ignore those signs, but not the verbal warnings she gave me. I am so much more aware and respect now! Sometimes I take natural photos of dogs and use those as learning tools as well. Visual aids help quite a bit.
k9Queen

Post by k9Queen »

I am a little surprised by how much blame gets put on animals instead of people. I say a little because at the same time, I am not suprised at all. People have a habit of blaming other people without taking responsibility, but to blame an animal? Ridiculous, I'd say.

Most animals hate having their photo taken, sometimes the sound cameras make scare them or sometimes the flash scares them. But I think what changes an animal's mood most is the fact that something is being pointed at them, someone is staring at them in the eyes. Some don't mind, but most do. Especially during specific moments, like eating or laying around, minding their own business. They don't want you being loud, hovering over them, grabbing at them and just being plain annoying.
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

k9Queen wrote:The difference with the photo you posted is that everyone is relaxed, nobody is hugging, not much touchy, grabby action. The dogs appear to be able to walk away at anytime. Now that I am beginning to learn more about behaviors, I like to use past photos as educational tools to spot what's wrong with a photo and what should be happening. I found that I do have some photos that I should have shown more respect for my other dog. Some tongue flicking action was captured, with some ears back. I'm surprised that she showed tolerance. Also, I would sometimes ignore those signs, but not the verbal warnings she gave me. I am so much more aware and respect now! Sometimes I take natural photos of dogs and use those as learning tools as well. Visual aids help quite a bit.
Amy,

I agree with K9Queen in that the dogs appear relaxed and know they can walk away at any moment. Even the 12 year old has a very relaxed and comfortable look that probably made Charlie and Poppy more comfortable.

Also as she mentioned, the photo is a natural, not a set up. And, there is no hugging or any sense of the 12 year old even considering touching the dogs.

By the way, I absolutely love the ohoto.

And K9Queen, I like your idea of looking at naturally occurring photos that makes it easier to see the dog's body language as well as in this photo the body language that the human in the photo is showing. Thanks for the idea.

I have been looking at photos if Sandy since a while ago when I posted a photo of Sandy outside in the autumn leaves (still posted under photos section under Sandy, chihuahua thread, that he is standing with his right paw in the air. Someone mentioned that he looked very anxious in the photo. Since then, I have noticed the times that he stands that way with his right paw in the air and use it to understand that he might be feeling uncomfortable in the situation.

Diane
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

k9Queen wrote:I am a little surprised by how much blame gets put on animals instead of people. I say a little because at the same time, I am not suprised at all. People have a habit of blaming other people without taking responsibility, but to blame an animal? Ridiculous, I'd say.

Most animals hate having their photo taken, sometimes the sound cameras make scare them or sometimes the flash scares them. But I think what changes an animal's mood most is the fact that something is being pointed at them, someone is staring at them in the eyes. Some don't mind, but most do. Especially during specific moments, like eating or laying around, minding their own business. They don't want you being loud, hovering over them, grabbing at them and just being plain annoying.
K9Queen,

We were writing at the same time so I didnt catch this. It would explain why when I try to take Sandy's photo, i often end up taking ten at different times trying to catch him off guard.

For some rason, it is easier to do a candid camera type photo with humans than dogs. I think the dogs ar more in tune to what is going on around them and more wary.

So, you make some good points.

Diane
k9Queen

Post by k9Queen »

DianeLDL wrote:I agree with you. And, I believe that is why older dogs end up in shelters. The same can be said of kittens.

I believe that our dog, a chihuahua ended up on the shelter the first time when he turned out not to fit the norm. He has the deer chihuahua head and long legs and larger body. Whoever got him as a puppy even registered his chip with Home Again. Then, he ended up at the shelter? My thought is he grew up and stqrted not to look like or fit the cute mini chi that so many adore.

I noticed that the dog is brought into the baby's bed after the toddler has gone to sleep. And there is no mention of how the toddler is being trained to handle a puppy. Toddlers can be very rough and two year olds (the age where they say no to everything and appear rebellious could easily start something with the dog.

And one thing in the article really caught my eye. The puppy and toddler have fights. Who will take the blame when the toddler gets bitten? The puppy and then back to the shelter or worse.

These parents are irresponsible as well as impulsive. The photos may look good, but there is danger to either or both lurking under the surface.

Thanks for bringing this up. Sorry, I am playing catch up having been on the road.

We arrive home in Albuquerque tomorrow after the mist stressful and exhausting physically and emotionally trip ever.

Even Sandy will be happy to be home in his own bed tomorrow, :D

Diane
Currently spending our last night on the road in Flagstaff, AZ
I am a sucker for adult dogs. I love puppies, but I also love adult dogs. Both have great qualities. Adult dogs are also just as cute looking as puppies! I adore your Chihuahua by the way! Have a safe trip home :)

I completely agree with you. The bottom article was posted by Victoria Stilwell on one of her social media pages a few months ago. I think it's a great and informative article.

What's alarming are all of the comments saying how "Cute", "Adorable", "Beautiful" and how loving the people seem because they adopted! When someone says otherwise, those "oohing" and "Awing" are jumping down their throats. They would rather ignore knowledge. I imagine those people have very tolerant animals or they have been bitten. It isn't that the information isn't being presented to educate people, it's that people don't want to listen. Sadly, that's what causes so many dogs to be euthanized to due aggression. All of that for a picture that the dog didn't want to be in to begin with!
k9Queen

Post by k9Queen »

Did anyone notice that Theo the puppy looks like a Rottweiler? Adult Rotties without a gentle hand to guide them are a disaster waiting to happen. Rotties are big, very strong dogs. I would hate to see a future article where Beau was attacked by Theo because he did something wrong to cause the dog to react in such a way. Equally, I would hate to see an article about how Theo was euthanized or some barbaric CM training was used because Theo was "Bad".
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

k9Queen wrote:Did anyone notice that Theo the puppy looks like a Rottweiler? Adult Rotties without a gentle hand to guide them are a disaster waiting to happen. Rotties are big, very strong dogs. I would hate to see a future article where Beau was attacked by Theo because he did something wrong to cause the dog to react in such a way. Equally, I would hate to see an article about how Theo was euthanized or some barbaric CM training was used because Theo was "Bad".
IMO that's definitely not a rottweiler (unless that is one gigantic baby..). It's too small and slender-looking, and the colouring isn't quite right.

And I have to say, that's a rather sweeping statement don't you think..?
Adult Rotties without a gentle hand to guide them are a disaster waiting to happen

Not trying to jump down your throat here, and yes I am partial to the breed; but would you have phrased it the same way if it was a Golden Retriever or Boxer in the picture?

I do however agree with the sentiment of your thread, cutesy lovey baby puppy pictures/play/blogs etc potentially IS a disaster waiting to happen ;)
k9Queen

Post by k9Queen »

Sanna wrote:
k9Queen wrote:Did anyone notice that Theo the puppy looks like a Rottweiler? Adult Rotties without a gentle hand to guide them are a disaster waiting to happen. Rotties are big, very strong dogs. I would hate to see a future article where Beau was attacked by Theo because he did something wrong to cause the dog to react in such a way. Equally, I would hate to see an article about how Theo was euthanized or some barbaric CM training was used because Theo was "Bad".
IMO that's definitely not a rottweiler (unless that is one gigantic baby..). It's too small and slender-looking, and the colouring isn't quite right.

Adult Rotties without a gentle hand to guide them are a disaster waiting to happen

Not trying to jump down your throat here, and yes I am partial to the breed; but would you have phrased it the same way if it was a Golden Retriever or Boxer in the picture?

I do however agree with the sentiment of your thread, cutesy lovey baby puppy pictures/play/blogs etc potentially IS a disaster waiting to happen ;)
I would say atleast partially Rottie. I have seen partial Rotties with the same caramel color as well as partial Rotties with only specks of black and a reddish tan coat. It depends on what they were bred with. Many are mixed with German Shepherds and depending on which gene is more dominent, the dog could either look more like a Shepherd or a Rottie in both size and features.

I would have phrased it the same way no matter what breed. There are traits specific to breeds and there are traits that individual dogs have. Golden Retrievers are known for being cute, fluffy, little angels in baskets under the Christmas tree, like the ones on TV and in the movies. I am well aware that that is certainly not the case. What we see in the movies isn't always true to life, but those are the kinds of stereotypes that cause a lot of trouble for dogs of any breed. However, I was describing Rotties, not Golden Retrievers or Boxer, which have a habit of being mouthy and in your face bouncy.
lucyandbella

Post by lucyandbella »

k9Queen wrote:
Sanna wrote:

I would say atleast partially Rottie. I have seen partial Rotties with the same caramel color as well as partial Rotties with only specks of black and a reddish tan coat. It depends on what they were bred with. Many are mixed with German Shepherds and depending on which gene is more dominent, the dog could either look more like a Shepherd or a Rottie in both size and features.

I would have phrased it the same way no matter what breed. There are traits specific to breeds and there are traits that individual dogs have. Golden Retrievers are known for being cute, fluffy, little angels in baskets under the Christmas tree, like the ones on TV and in the movies. I am well aware that that is certainly not the case. What we see in the movies isn't always true to life, but those are the kinds of stereotypes that cause a lot of trouble for dogs of any breed. However, I was describing Rotties, not Golden Retrievers or Boxer, which have a habit of being mouthy and in your face bouncy.
That dog in question does not have to be rottie or even shepherd to be black and tan. Kelpies, coonhounds, dachshund, english shepherds, etc come in black with tan marking varieties. Its a dominant coat color and where I live many 30 pound herding dog mixes come in black with tan markings. I was told when Lucy was 8 weeks "you realize your dog is going to be 100 pounds, she is a rottie!" :lol: She has no Rottweiler in her. Or German shepherd. Not that I would mind I like rotties but I am glad my girl is only 37 pounds.

Lucy at 9 weeks