Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

DianeLDL

Re: Vent!

Post by DianeLDL »

Fundog wrote:Actually, you know what *is* legal to do in my state, is to walk down the street carrying a gun! :shock: I've gone out walking the dogs carrying a .22 rifle. (protection from coyotes) The reactions of other members of the community were "interesting," as you might imagine. :lol: But I soon realized that a rifle gets heavy after awhile, and it is super tricky to carry it while walking two dogs, and then trying to pick up poop. But I guess if you wanted to scare someone who is not a good dog owner, going for a casual stroll while carrying a gun would get the point across. You could even just go with a pistol strapped to your leg and walk your own dogs that way. :evil:
Fundog,

I love it! So, would OH. He also has a concealed carry permit good anywhere in US due to his previous work as a Federal Special Agent. Also,he has been an NRA member since age 10.

We dont have guns, but he always has his US Marine knife. Actually in the US Mairnes he was Recon in Vietnam as well as a sniper.

Yes, a rifle could be a great deterrent. OH would love your part of the country. :D And you. :D

He is talking about a vacation trip. We have had enough working trips. His birthday is February 2nd (he will be 70, but a young 70. Yes, he does love groundhogs. This might be good to visit your part of the country. We don't gamble, but he loves open spaces.

I will respond to your message later. :D

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Ari_RR wrote:Too bad Bubble Boy fancies himself a Sheriff :roll:
Probably thinking - "That old lady is off leash... but don't worry Dad, I'll protect you! Let me try my Voice of Doom and see if she goes away :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: "
ROFL.... it wouldn't shock me in the least if that is how they viewed it. darn off leash humans.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Fundog wrote:Actually, you know what *is* legal to do in my state, is to walk down the street carrying a gun! :shock: I've gone out walking the dogs carrying a .22 rifle. (protection from coyotes) The reactions of other members of the community were "interesting," as you might imagine. :lol:
If I could do that in California, Jack would be VERY protected. I have the good stuff. :wink:

joking aside, in terms of other dogs, even if it was legal to carry a gun in public in California, I have yet to feel the need. I am finding being alert and reading the other dog before they get to you is a much better "weapon" much of the time. And due to the risks of shooting the wrong target in a dog fight situation, even if I was carrying a firearm, I wouldn't use it anyway.

Now, on the other hand....we have coyotes and now mountain lions walking around some parts of the town I am in....a "little equalizer" for a worst, worst case situation would be nice. because like a fire extinguisher, you don't need it...till you NEED IT. but given a choice, much prefer to let the critters go their way, while I go mine.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Well, Diane, how are you folks with snow? We often still have quite a bit in February here. We are at 5300 feet in elevation. But like I said, there is plenty of beauty to be seen here, and good fishing too. :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Fundog wrote:Well, Diane, how are you folks with snow? We often still have quite a bit in February here. We are at 5300 feet in elevation. But like I said, there is plenty of beauty to be seen here, and good fishing too. :D
We are at 5000 ft elevation in Albuquerque where we get 1-3 inches of snow from time to time. My husband grew up in Maine where he had to snowshoe to school. :lol:

Sandy is another story. He is a very fair weather dog. Hates rain, heat,cold, thunder. :roll:
Although he did okay in Flagstaff, AZ which is 7000 ft. And he did see some snow in 2011 in April in Maine.

So, we will have to see. If would be great to combine it with a trip to my parents.

I will let you know. Right now, we just got home and will be leaving again in less than two weeks to see my parents in N. Calif. near Stanford University.

Too much to do right now. Just spent over an hour online with California Board of Nursing's new website to renew my license. Argh.. :evil:

Diane
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Fundog wrote:Actually, you know what *is* legal to do in my state, is to walk down the street carrying a gun! :shock: I've gone out walking the dogs carrying a .22 rifle. (protection from coyotes) The reactions of other members of the community were "interesting," as you might imagine. :lol: But I soon realized that a rifle gets heavy after awhile, and it is super tricky to carry it while walking two dogs, and then trying to pick up poop. But I guess if you wanted to scare someone who is not a good dog owner, going for a casual stroll while carrying a gun would get the point across. You could even just go with a pistol strapped to your leg and walk your own dogs that way. :evil:
We used to be able to carry guns in my area, so when I took my dogs for walks, I carried my .22 caliber handgun for protection against mountain lions (panthers) and other such wildlife. But now, to carry a gun, I have to really conceal my handgun. To me, that takes a bit longer to dig out my gun in a time I need to protect myself and my dogs, and by then, I know I should be running! :shock:

And DianeLDL, I have to tell you something that is funny. Everytime you say your dog's name, "Sandy", I want to say, "Yes" or "What" to respond, because Sandy is my name too! :lol: Sandy is a gorgeous dog! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

wvvdiup1 wrote:And DianeLDL, I have to tell you something that is funny. Everytime you say your dog's name, "Sandy", I want to say, "Yes" or "What" to respond, because Sandy is my name too! :lol: Sandy is a gorgeous dog! :D
Hi Sandy,

He was named because of his color looking like sand and because our dog when I was in high school was also named Sandy.

My husbands and I have so many female friends with the name Sandy that my husband had a hard time remembering the dog is make. I hqve to remind him if the baseball player, Sandy Koufax. :D

My closest female friend here is Sandy for Sandra.

I was at a needlework convention in Philadelphia, and someone showed her quilt with each block representing a week in 2012. I saw one and said, hey you named it after my dog, then she reminded me it was Hurricane Sandy. :D

So, keep on laughing every time you read my writing. :lol: :lol:
Diane
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

DianeLDL wrote:
wvvdiup1 wrote:And DianeLDL, I have to tell you something that is funny. Everytime you say your dog's name, "Sandy", I want to say, "Yes" or "What" to respond, because Sandy is my name too! :lol: Sandy is a gorgeous dog! :D
Hi Sandy,

He was named because of his color looking like sand and because our dog when I was in high school was also named Sandy.

My husbands and I have so many female friends with the name Sandy that my husband had a hard time remembering the dog is make. I hqve to remind him if the baseball player, Sandy Koufax. :D

My closest female friend here is Sandy for Sandra.

I was at a needlework convention in Philadelphia, and someone showed her quilt with each block representing a week in 2012. I saw one and said, hey you named it after my dog, then she reminded me it was Hurricane Sandy. :D

So, keep on laughing every time you read my writing. :lol: :lol:
Diane
Too bad no one can hear me say "What?" or "Yes?" :lol: Sandy is a beautiful dog! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Grr I'm totally sick of the dogs on my road ruining my walks with Honey. I was coming home thinking yay Honey had a nice walk no big scaries and she didn't have to be close to any dogs.

Stupid man who owns an elderly red collie mix (and lets her roam on our narrow road) strolls around the corner and my stomach sinks. His dog is never on lead and when she barks or growls at Honey he roars* at her to stop. Honey FREAKS when she sees this dog and I try really hard to not let her see her but of course I fail from time to time. So I'm across the road and duck down behind a car with a wad of liver cake, what does Mr. Clever do? Of course he laughs and crosses over as he thinks it's funny when Honey freaks out. Damit I should have known he'd do this and just picked her up and legged it around the corner but I chose the wrong course of action.

I've always just tried to say something benign to this guy as he's the head of the residence association :roll: but today when he laughed and said "is he still giving out?" I snapped "she's very afraid of dogs bigger than her, particularly collie types - female collies types... he turned and walked off as I was speaking and I had my snarling dog in my arms that I'm stupidly trying to feed liver cake to :oops:. His dog, to her credit, actually stayed aross the road until she was well past us. Sigh, I did not do well with the situation. I wish I could've said something that made more sense and with a calmer tone, though I did manage not to growl it at him which is what I wanted to do :twisted:.

*I've seen people use scary shouting plenty to stop dogs doing whatever but there's a venom in this roar that is not usual, it's a very stark contrast to his jokey smilely interactions with people.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Erica

Post by Erica »

I had some free time and decided to catch up on a show I like...except in a single episode, it went from "Yeah this show is goofy and fun and enjoyable" to "oh my word I feel physically ill this show is awful and I hate it." The characters are turning into flat shadows of what they used to be, and they had a kid training his little lemur-thing with treats. He wants the lemur to roll over, so he lays down on the floor and rolls over. "Lemur, do this!" Lemur looks confused, then lays down...kid rewards him.

Dad gets up. "You can't do it like that! You have to command respect!" (me: oh no) "You can't let him sleep on the bed! He has to sleep on the FLOOR." (me: please let them be setting this up for a drastic reversal, please please please let the kid get so tired and frustrated at how awful dominance training is that he says "no" and lets the lemur on the bed and teaches him fun goofy tricks)

The next day, kid...shows off lemur's tricks, taught supposedly through being the ****ing alpha. Then he shows how the entire troop of lemurs now obey him.

To be fair, kid says that being the alpha is tiring and he just wants to play with his lemur...but I'm still feeling sick from it and shaking with rage. Why, why, why? There was absolutely NO reason to bring dominance bull into a KID'S SHOW, the entire sequence had nothing to do with any plot or subplot or subsubplot - there was nothing even happening plotwise with those characters in that episode. It was there to tell kids you can't let your dog sleep on the bed.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

WufWuf wrote:Grr I'm totally sick of the dogs on my road ruining my walks with Honey. I was coming home thinking yay Honey had a nice walk no big scaries and she didn't have to be close to any dogs.

Stupid man who owns an elderly red collie mix (and lets her roam on our narrow road) strolls around the corner and my stomach sinks. His dog is never on lead and when she barks or growls at Honey he roars* at her to stop. Honey FREAKS when she sees this dog and I try really hard to not let her see her but of course I fail from time to time. So I'm across the road and duck down behind a car with a wad of liver cake, what does Mr. Clever do? Of course he laughs and crosses over as he thinks it's funny when Honey freaks out. Damit I should have known he'd do this and just picked her up and legged it around the corner but I chose the wrong course of action.

I've always just tried to say something benign to this guy as he's the head of the residence association :roll: but today when he laughed and said "is he still giving out?" I snapped "she's very afraid of dogs bigger than her, particularly collie types - female collies types... he turned and walked off as I was speaking and I had my snarling dog in my arms that I'm stupidly trying to feed liver cake to :oops:. His dog, to her credit, actually stayed aross the road until she was well past us. Sigh, I did not do well with the situation. I wish I could've said something that made more sense and with a calmer tone, though I did manage not to growl it at him which is what I wanted to do :twisted:.

*I've seen people use scary shouting plenty to stop dogs doing whatever but there's a venom in this roar that is not usual, it's a very stark contrast to his jokey smilely interactions with people.

Don't feel bad about how you reacted. I am the same way. You thought of Honey first just like I think of Sandy. I also will pick Sandy up and try to hide other dogs from him, trying to be a tree or like you getting behind a car.

Yelling and shouting at a dog that is charging you is not the same as an idiot, even if he is your residence association (which is a job that a lot of people who like to feel important accept, nothing I would ever want). It doesn't make him any better or smarter than you. Actually, he was acting more like a bully. :evil:

I, too, never have a good come back to anyone at the time. As OH says, I do not think fast on my feet. Later, I always think of something I wish I had said.

Just plan for it for the next time you see him. Prepare in advance what you will say. That way you will know what to say.

At the last hotel we stayed in on te road, OH thought they might have me committed to psych facility. At 5pm, the worst possible time, Sandy was acting as if he had to bathroom. We started out our room to see four dogs in front of the side door. So, I grsb him snd strat running to the lobby exit to where I thought we could avoid the dogs. As I pass the computer room, z lady is looking at me with concern and asking if I was allright. All I could get out was that there were other dogs at the other exit and my dog doesn't like other dogs. Then, we go out of the lobby door to be confronted with two women and their four dogs (the ones we had run throught the hallways to avoid taking their dogs to where I thought I had found a secret place for Sandy. So, all I could do was go Oh No! And scooped up Sandy and ran outsid around the building. :shock:

Turned out that Sandy was just one of about 9-10 dogs all on the same wing and floor. OH, I, and Sandy got no sleep as Sandy reacted to every noise. We felt like we were in the kennel wing. When we checked in there were just three of us.

So, I kniw how it happens and that as much as we try to avoid other dogs, they often come out of no where. And discourteous owners like the one you ran into are all over the place.

Be prepared for the next time you see him. Know what you are going to say. And, don't be like me where my OH thought they were going to have me committed. :lol:

DO NOT beat yourself up over this. Be kind to yourself. Honey got treats. You deserve one too. Get yourself something really yummy and relax and laugh. It is over for now. Be prepared for next time. :D

Diane
OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

Fundog, are you in AZ? Because in this state you don't event need a permit for a concealed carry. :shock:

I don't carry a gun and probably never will. Furthermore, I don't think I could ever use one on a dog, even if I had one and my dog was being attacked. I would be too afraid to miss and hit my own dog, and it would be personally difficult to do that to a living creature.
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

OnceInAWeil wrote:Fundog, are you in AZ? Because in this state you don't event need a permit for a concealed carry. :shock:

I don't carry a gun and probably never will. Furthermore, I don't think I could ever use one on a dog, even if I had one and my dog was being attacked. I would be too afraid to miss and hit my own dog, and it would be personally difficult to do that to a living creature.
My husband and I used to live in Tucson and Flagstaff, and we are both graduates of the University of Arizona. OH used to carry many guns, but had many years of training in hunting as well as US Marines and law enforcement. He gave up hunting as he wouldn't want to kill an animal unless threatening him although many of his friends are hunters. He joined the NRA at age 10. He definitely would shoot anything that threatened our dog and with precision as a marksman.

I dont think I could kill anything. I was trained as a nurse to save. If I did have a gun, I too wouldn't be able to use it. I get squeamish killing spiders...argh.

Where are you located in Arizona?

Diane
Currently living in Albuquerque, New Mexico
OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

Yeah, I think that if you are going to use a gun, you should be well-trained to do so (which I certainly am not).

I'm currently in Phoenix, originally from Bullhead City. :) Nice to see other SW people.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Once in a Weil, I live on the Nevada/Idaho state line-- on the Nevada side. :lol: But I am originally from one of the "Four Corner States," Utah, in the southern-most part. So yeah, I'm a desert rat too. :mrgreen:

I have used a gun to kill some goats and a sheep that I butchered for my dogs to eat. They are on the prey model diet. The trick is using the right calibur (a .45 is best for sheep and goats, as they have thick skulls) and the correct positioning of the shot, point blank. If the shot is placed correctly, the carotid artery is severed and the animal goes down instantly, bleeding out in seconds. It won't know what hit it.

I would have no problem killing something for myself and my human family to eat also (example, deer or rabbits). I have hunted, but so far have not actually hit anything-- I did not have the correct weapon, or I was too slow to take aim. But I don't have an issue with it, so long as it doesn't take a million shots to put the blessed creature out of its suffering. :|
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.