Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: Vent!

Post by Nettle »

Babydog just got attacked by an offlead stafford that ran up to her and pitched in. The bloke walking it didn't even pause in his mobile phone conversation but the good part is he didn't do anything when I welted the dog with my thumbstick either.

Babydog is okay albeit shaken up, as I cracked it one before it could close its mouth on her, and she was quick enough to get away.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

Oh Babydog i hope shes ok! Sending her a good old belly rub from up North xxx
Good job you have the reactions of a ninja! How are you, hope you are ok :) just hugs for you :lol:
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Oh Nettle! )))Hugs((( How frightening! Hope you and Babydog can have a less stressful time of it for a while!
katej215

Post by katej215 »

Thats awful Nettle - isn't that the second time poor babydog has been nearly attacked? Honestly reading your post makes me think seriously about taking a walking stick out on our walks.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

rachel540 wrote:But now I feel I should maybe message the breeder and explain way. I would also want to suggest she promote positive training methods on her facebook group and even include a reading list in her puppy pack to set new owners on a good starting point. Is this unreasonable? I feel as a breeder she has a responsibility. Or am I being unreasonalbe because of the frustrated mood I'm in?

Out of curiosity though - what books can anyone recommend for new puppy owner?
Rachel, I see no reason why you shouldn't suggest it - if I was a breeder I'd be vetting potential owners to make sure they believe in a totally positive approach. She may, of course, disagree with your methods, in which case there's not a lot you can do, but no harm in suggesting it.

Gwen Bailey, The Perfect Puppy, is good, though at times I felt like Jasper had read it first and decided not to conform to her idea of how a normal puppy would behave. I really like The Puppy Primer by Patricia McConnell, though I haven't tried applying it (I bought it for a friend, but her puppy was so good I don't think she ever needed to open a dog training book :roll: ).
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

katej215 wrote:Thats awful Nettle - isn't that the second time poor babydog has been nearly attacked? Honestly reading your post makes me think seriously about taking a walking stick out on our walks.

Babydog is a very quiet, gentle character, and so gets picked on by bullying types. Normally I can deflect it but this time (and the other time) I just wasn't quite quick enough. This dog was walking past along a wiiiide path, my dogs were to heel, and it just shot across with a roar and set on her.

I can recommend a walking stick. I also carry a can of compressed air. Sadly, sometimes I even have to use that. :?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Honestly, the dolt who was paying more attention to his phone call than his dog really needed a good whack on the head himself! At the very least, I would have marched up to him after fending off his dog, and I would have rudely interrupted his phone call. :evil:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Nettle wrote:Babydog just got attacked by an offlead stafford that ran up to her and pitched in. The bloke walking it didn't even pause in his mobile phone conversation but the good part is he didn't do anything when I welted the dog with my thumbstick either.

Babydog is okay albeit shaken up, as I cracked it one before it could close its mouth on her, and she was quick enough to get away.
I'm glad to hear Babydog is alright, considering this could affect her behavior with having this kind of experience with another dog. I know when I walk Karma, I take my cane with me but I would hate to have to use it on any dog, however, what is one to do to protect themselves and their dogs?

The dumbbell on the mobile phone should have kept his attention on his dog instead of paying attention to his phone call. Had that been my dog his dog attacked, I wouldn't be so nice and used my cane on the owner too. :evil:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Fundog wrote:Honestly, the dolt who was paying more attention to his phone call than his dog really needed a good whack on the head himself! At the very least, I would have marched up to him after fending off his dog, and I would have rudely interrupted his phone call. :evil:
Nettle,
Poor babydog. :cry: Sandy is sending her healing licks. :D

We have run into idiots like that before. One hotel (another hotel experience) this guy was out talking with someone blocking the door to the outside. His beagle was on one of those winding leashes that just let the dog go anywhere. Well, OH picked up Sandy an tried walking to another grassy area, but this stupid guy didn't pay attention while his dog kept following OH and Sandy. Finally, OH kicked the dog which got the owner's attention. Well, the male hormones were on each threatening to kill the other. Then, the other guy realized he was dealing with a well-trained US Marine. The rest of the evening, every time I heard them in the hallway, the stupid dog owner was falling all over himself apologizing.

We have every right to protect our own dogs as well as ourselves. Thanks for the idea. Now, my cane will be at my side ready to get between another dog to defend my Sandy.

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

DianeLDL wrote:Now, my cane will be at my side ready to get between another dog to defend my Sandy.
Understandable... :(
Every now and then i run into this gentleman on the trails in the nature park.. carrying a golf club :shock: .
I am sure he's had some less than pleasant encounters.. but for goodness sake, c'mon! When i see him ahead - I call Ari back (or reel him in if he is on his long leash and pretends to be deaf), and we change direction.
Ari ain't an angel by any stretch of imagination, looks intimidating (not his fault, is it?), and on occasion he can approach someone with a rather mean look, so I can certainly understand the uneasiness... but if I see that guy raising his golf club - g-d help him, as there is no easy way to get an ambulance into the forest :twisted: no matter how justified he might have felt...

So - please keep humans in mind, when tempted to use canes, sticks, baseball bats, golf clubs, etc. Some of us can become quite irrational seeing our animals hit :wink:
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Fundog wrote:Honestly, the dolt who was paying more attention to his phone call than his dog really needed a good whack on the head himself! At the very least, I would have marched up to him after fending off his dog, and I would have rudely interrupted his phone call. :evil:
I think that is actually legal to do in your state :twisted:

sorry to hear that baby dog was attacked. I always say jack goes on walks with a body guard...sounds like baby dog does too.
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Ari_RR wrote:
DianeLDL wrote:Now, my cane will be at my side ready to get between another dog to defend my Sandy.
Understandable... :(
Every now and then i run into this gentleman on the trails in the nature park.. carrying a golf club :shock: .
I am sure he's had some less than pleasant encounters.. but for goodness sake, c'mon! When i see him ahead - I call Ari back (or reel him in if he is on his long leash and pretends to be deaf), and we change direction.
Ari ain't an angel by any stretch of imagination, looks intimidating (not his fault, is it?), and on occasion he can approach someone with a rather mean look, so I can certainly understand the uneasiness... but if I see that guy raising his golf club - g-d help him, as there is no easy way to get an ambulance into the forest :twisted: no matter how justified he might have felt...

So - please keep humans in mind, when tempted to use canes, sticks, baseball bats, golf clubs, etc. Some of us can become quite irrational seeing our animals hit :wink:
Ari_RR,

I wouldnt use it to get into a full fight, but more as a defense from an attack. If an owner cant control his or her dog by being constantly aware of what is going on, then, they shouldn't be there. Obviously someone who wants to talk on the phone or socialize without paying attention that their dog is about to attack your dog, I call that their stupidity and my right to defend myself. I would never do anything to a dog on a leash who is under control and just looks at me funny. It seems you are a responsible owner who when taking Ari out, pay attention to the surroundings and what is going on.

We are talking about dogs either off leash our rather NOT under close supervision and control.

So, I hope you didn't misunderstand and think I would attack just any dog. It is only in cases such as happened with baby dog.

That can be serious. I do all in my power to keep Sandy away from other dogs, but it has happened that a dog not being controlled has created a very scary situation. And a fear reactive dog doesn't need extra stress and needs to feel safe.

Yes, we get away as fast as we can, but if being followed, and we feel in danger, yes, I would do what I had to to defend
Sandy and myself from attack.

Diane
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

jacksdad wrote:
I think that is actually legal to do in your state :twisted:

sorry to hear that baby dog was attacked. I always say jack goes on walks with a body guard...sounds like baby dog does too.
And Sandy also has a body guard.
Diane
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Actually, you know what *is* legal to do in my state, is to walk down the street carrying a gun! :shock: I've gone out walking the dogs carrying a .22 rifle. (protection from coyotes) The reactions of other members of the community were "interesting," as you might imagine. :lol: But I soon realized that a rifle gets heavy after awhile, and it is super tricky to carry it while walking two dogs, and then trying to pick up poop. But I guess if you wanted to scare someone who is not a good dog owner, going for a casual stroll while carrying a gun would get the point across. You could even just go with a pistol strapped to your leg and walk your own dogs that way. :evil:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

jacksdad wrote:I always say jack goes on walks with a body guard...sounds like baby dog does too.
DianeLDL wrote:And Sandy also has a body guard.
If I could only convince Ari that he has one too - my dearest neighbors would be much happier! :lol: :lol:
Too bad Bubble Boy fancies himself a Sheriff :roll:
Probably thinking - "That old lady is off leash... but don't worry Dad, I'll protect you! Let me try my Voice of Doom and see if she goes away :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: "