Introducing..... Womble!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emmabeth

Introducing..... Womble!

Post by emmabeth »

Here's Womble! Here is also why I am a bit quiet, knackered and probably likely to make some silly errors somewhere along the line!

He's a neaaaaarly 7 week old lurcher baby - half saluki, (Daddy) and half bedlington x whippet (Mummy) and he is doing a FINE job of reminding me why puppies are horrible and no one should have one (except right now he is asleep on my foot, not biting me, not killing anything he shouldn't, not hanging off anyones ears....)

Hes a very worky boy, hes already hunted and killed his first quarry... a large moth! He did try to retrieve it to the nearest person but my Dad is not well versed in saying thankyou for whatever horrid gifts puppies present you with, he said 'urr yuck' so Womble ate it.

Potty training is going well, hes had a few wee wee accidents, mostly yesterday when he decided he didn't like the puppy food he came with so refused it and drank too much water instead, oh and at half seven this morning, he peed IN our bed... yay. However not a single poo accident yet and he is very prompt to do both jobs as soon as his paws hit the yard outside.

He's done three car journeys (the first when we picked him up) ... was sick twice on the first one, not at all on the second and third (yay!) much shorter trips. He's been to my dads, met both cats (boring, for now), learned that you cannot part my Dad from a piece of steak no matter how hard you yell, had a go at hunting bats (ambitious!).

Yesterday he learned the hard way why we don't get into peoples dinner plates when he took a flying leap and dived head first into my plate of spaghetti hoops - a puppy with a facefull of hot-ish tomato sauce is NOT a happy puppy at all (he wasn't burnt, just surprised).

We are having one or two issues with sep. anx. from OH - BUT i think this morning I have cracked it, each occasion has involved a barrier.... OH has now been out of the house twice WITHOUT shutting the living room door and hes been absolutely fine with that.

he has also been 100% nicer since he found out that big dogs eat raw food and refused to eat his puppy food, thereby weaning himself onto raw straight away. Crunching chicken wings means he doe snot need to try and crunch my fingers/toes/arms etc!

So i think we are in for some fun teaching him to walk on a lead and teaching him to be crated... since all forms of restraint or barrier cause a total meltdown!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
JudyN

Re: Introducing..... Womble!

Post by JudyN »

Oh, bless! :D :D :D We need many, many, more pictures... and a video... and then some more pictures... please!! :lol: I'd love to see one if him with spaghetti hoops all over his face :lol:

I keep getting hankerings for a saluki x lurcher... so do keep telling us the bad bits about puppy ownership to make sure I don't succumb :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

What a handsome lad!! Congrats on the new addition. :D

Like Judy, I am so looking forward to more pics and lots of updates on his progress. :D

Oh, and I love his name!! Soooo cute! :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Oh this will be a warts-and-all account of Wombles early life! Believe me, I won't be sugar coating anything at all.

The main thing is when he gets in a strop he bites like a mo-fo, this is probably in part due to his breeding, in part due to the fact he was 6 weeks and so has missed a couple of weeks of his litter mates shunning him for biting so hard and partly because he gets over-tired like all babies do and can really only express himself by yelling or biting!

I am covered in scratches and gouges and bruises, in the attempt to reach for a toy to give him, he clamped onto my upper under arm area, that normally known as the 'bingo-wing' a nd he just bit down and bit down HARD and started to grrrr and rag! Roars of pain are met with MORE enthusiasm from him, no 'yelp' technique would work here so he was scruffed to be removed (by OH I couldnt reach) and we are taking serious steps to ensure he never gets that over tired or lacking in things to chew on again!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
bendog

Post by bendog »

6 dogs?! You are completely bonkers! When do you have time to get anything done?

Very cute puppy though.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Oooh, look at those chunky legs. :D Cute!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

emmabeth wrote:Oh this will be a warts-and-all account of Wombles early life! Believe me, I won't be sugar coating anything at all.
I wouldn't expect anything less! :wink: Though I suspect along the way we are going to be getting quite a few chuckles out of his antics at your expense! :lol:
emmabeth wrote:I am covered in scratches and gouges and bruises, in the attempt to reach for a toy to give him, he clamped onto my upper under arm area, that normally known as the 'bingo-wing' a nd he just bit down and bit down HARD and started to grrrr and rag! Roars of pain are met with MORE enthusiasm from him, no 'yelp' technique would work here so he was scruffed to be removed (by OH I couldnt reach) and we are taking serious steps to ensure he never gets that over tired or lacking in things to chew on again!
Same with Piper. The "yelp" method only fired her up! So I spent a fair amount of time during the nipping phase of her puppyhood leaving the room, coming back in, leaving the room, coming back in (repeat over and over and over . . . ) :lol:

Sooooo . . . is there a story how this lucky boy ended up in your home?
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

bendog wrote:6 dogs?! You are completely bonkers!
this from she who collects terriers :twisted: :lol:

congratulations on womble emma. look forward to reading more about his (mis)adventures.
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

emmabeth wrote:he is doing a FINE job of reminding me why puppies are horrible and no one should have one
:lol: Rationally I process what you are saying, but then I look at the puppie pic I go all mushy...... I want one! :lol:
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Congratulations :D he's a cutie-pie, we defo need more pics and horror stories :wink:
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

I wouldn't expect anything less! Though I suspect along the way we are going to be getting quite a few chuckles out of his antics at your expense
Haha!!
Congratulations on the new addition. Looking forward to the updates - what a cheeky chappy!
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Emmabeth,

Can't wait to hear all the stories and learning why we adopted a 1year old. :lol: :lol:
Would have loved a puppy, though.

He is going to be a really big boy. At 7 weeks he is already larger than our long legged chihuahua. :wink:

Congratulation on your new addition. I also love his name. How did you come up Womble? :?:

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
gwd

Post by gwd »

that one, slightly blurry, picture simply won't do............you can't come in here and announce a new addition without an entire gallery of photos..........now damnit emmabeth, you know better than that.

I thought of you today.........I spent my morning working with two deerhounds.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

I've been wondering where you vanished to. What a cutie. Keep up with the stories. There are samrador puppies at the rescue that the local samoyed group is connected with and they are sooooooooo cute. Fluffy white, super curley tails and floppy lab ears. I do not want one. I do not want one. I'm thinking they would make great scooter dogs in the future. Fortunately I can't afford another animal time wise or budget wise which helps greatly with the resistance power.

I too am wondering with all your dogs and training business duites, how Womble landed with you?
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I am resisting getting a Bedlington terrier puppy. I can't tell you how much I want him. I knew his sire, who died in a tragic accident a couple of weeks ago. I - must - not - get - a - puppy - or -any - other - dog.

Therefore it is your duty, Emms, to tell us all about Womble, and remind me for sure and probably most of the rest of us why we must not get a puppy.

Please............ :?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS