I am surprised!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

K9Steve

I am surprised!

Post by K9Steve »

Of all the forums I've checked out, this one hasn't even talked about the royal baby! :o

I had quite an eventful week. I was awaken by my dogs barking, growling, and carrying on, so I got up, quickly got dressed, grabbed my gun, and went out to see what was going on to cause all this commotion. As I came out of my bedroom, there was a man almost through my window, only his feet sticking out of the window, and my dogs grabbing and holding onto his clothing, however, when he went to reach for whatever his weapon was, my one large big dog bit him. Then I noticed the smell of smoke and saw a small fire at one of my buildings.

At the same time this was happening, my daughter came down the stairs and I quickly yelled for her to get back upstairs and stay low. The burglar went to move but I quickly told him not to move because I have a gun on him and I will shoot to kill if need be especially when I or my family, pets, or property are in danger. Fortunately I didn't need to fire a shot because the dogs were doing a good job keeping him down, so while they were doing this, I quickly reached for my cell phone and dialed 9-1-1, and within ten to fifteen minutes later, the police were here and the fire department was not too far behind them.

When the sirens could be heard from a distance, the man quickly pushed off my dogs and quickly went back out through the window in which he came through. He and his "friends" were sped away, however, I was still online with the emergency dispatch operator and told her to tell the police which way this gang was heading. It didn't take the police too long to catch them.

Just before the police arrived and after the burglars left, I heard my daughter call out to me. I asked her if she was all right and told her to come down and stand near me. When she came downstairs to stand next to me, I told her not to go anywhere near the window because there was blood on the floor, not a lot, but enough for the police to get evidence. She helped me check each of the dog's paws and get them into my bedroom.

We're doing fine and there was only minimal damage to my garage which was the building I saw fire. Why only minimal damage was that it had been raining very hard here, so everything was still soaked. My daughter and I noticed we didn't hear the security alarm go off and we both knew it was on before we went to bed. Later that morning after the police and the fire department left, I called the security company and couldn't get a call-back from the representative, so I kept calling until I finally got near the top of management. Of all the things, there was this little wire that became unconnected that kept the alarm from going off. And believe me, when that alarm goes off, the dead is awaken. That's how loud it is!

So far the police and the DA (District Attorney) aren't going to charge me for my dog's actions because the man was clearly inside my house when the incident happened. You know, that man heard those dogs barking and carrying in my house which is what woke me up in the first place and he still came into the house. He was either brave or an idiot or both but the man did it. The burglar that did enter my house is being charged for burglary, obviously; the three men who set fire to my garage are being charged with arson and attempt of burglarly; the fifth man who was still in the car was also charged with attempted burglary too. Since I didn't fire my gun, the police didn't take it.

Anyhow, my lawyer has advised me something I already know, and that is, just because I'm not going to be charged in criminal court doesn't mean I'm not going to be sued in civil court for the burglar's bite injuries even though he was in the wrong in the first place. If he tries to sue me for medical treatment, he is in for a fight of his life there too, because he didn't pay the bill -the taxpayers which includes me did. Either way I'll just have to take it one day at a time to see what happens then make my decisions. The thing is that I hope they don't take my dog or charge me for my dog's actions because my dog -all of my dogs- were doing what dogs do naturally to protect their owners.
Flyby

Re: I am surprised!

Post by Flyby »

Things like this can really rattle your confidence and sense of security K9Steve and leave you with a sense of dread that there is more to come. I can't imagine your dog might get in trouble for defending your home; fact is the presence and actions of the dog stopped the incident escalating into a more serious crime or you being required to use your gun.

My advice is not to dwell to much on the fear of what might have happened, and draw reassurance from the positives - they were caught and identified. In my experience, that's the last time the culprits want to come anywhere near your place.

You should be very proud of your dog, I would be.
gwd

Post by gwd »

K9Steve wrote:The thing is that I hope they don't take my dog or charge me for my dog's actions because my dog -all of my dogs- were doing what dogs do naturally to protect their owners.
at least the burglar didn't shoot the dogs.........lately we've had a lot of cops shooting dogs, some of which have been inside the owners fenced yard. there was a case not too long ago where cops were chasing a guy in a residential area and he hopped a fence........cop followed. burglar hopped another fence when he figured out there was a big dog in the yard. cop shot the dog. the homeowner had no recourse. I mean srsly, when you can't even be confident of your dogs safety in your own damn FENCED yard, or in your case, your house......that's a sad state of affairs.

we've become a way to litigious society when a home owner can be sued for an injury suffered by someone breaking in! I recall in phoenix a burglar suing a homeowner when he got cut from falling though a skylight. :roll:

i'm glad that you and your daughter were not harmed. that must have been very frightening.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Glad everything turned out well. I'm not sure about your state, but I know the state of Virginia has laws that recognize a dog's right to protect home and family. It is expected and noted that dogs may bite intruders/tresspassers. It is expected and noted that mother dogs may bite in defense of their puppies. Hopefully the lawmakers in your state also recognize a dog's right to be a dog.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Wow! Glad it all turned out okay in the end and that no one was hurt. My two cents: if the burglar tries to sue you for his injuries, file a counter suit for property damages-- the broken window, and to your garage, and any loss of property that resulted-- including any damage to property that results from rain getting into the garage because the integrity of the structure was damaged by the fire. Granted, your homeowner's insurance will no doubt be covering all of this, but now because you have to file a claim, they will refuse to renew your policy after paying, and you'll have to go through the trouble of finding a new carrier.

It really ticks me off these days that criminals think they are entitled to compensation for their crimes and their own stupidity! If it weren't for the honest, hard-working people of integrity we have left in the world, the whole world population would figure out that crime really does pay-- even incarceration has its own rewards these days!-- to the point that some criminals who are released will go out and commit a dumb crime, for the sole reward of going back to prison! :twisted:

So... if they sue, you just file a counter-suit. They will find out there is more teeth backing up the dogs. :evil:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
K9Steve

Post by K9Steve »

IF the burglar does go to sue me, I do intend to counter-sue, because he did damage my window in which has been fixed. We're still waiting for the test results from the evidence collected in my house and on my property. I've been doing some serious research on the laws in my state while I wait for the court to set a date for the hearing for the burglary and arson in criminal court, but while I'm waiting, I'm trying to get myself prepared and well versed with the laws regarding my dog biting the burglar.

Pennsylvania does have the "Castle Domain" laws, or whatever you want to call it, in which a home owner/property owner can shoot a burglar or any one who breaks into one's house without being charged by the police or the courts. As I'm researching about dogs, I'm finding it would have been better had I shot the man, but I'm not a violent man, and I don't want his murder to be on my conscience, even if I was just protecting my family and property. Remember also that my dogs were all over the man, so had I shot at the man, I could have shot one of my dogs, and that is another reason why I didn't fire the gun.

Fundog, are the same "Fundog" Sandy (aka, "wvvdiup1") has told me about? If so, I'm one of Sandy's friends -in fact, I'm her boyfriend Steve's cousin, Steve, and if that doesn't confuse you, he and I even look alike, except for our eyes! :D
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

Steve, you're right that Pennsylvania does have the "Castle Domain" laws, but here is some more good news. Pennsylvania also has a law in the books that if an intruder breaks into your house and is bitten or killed by your dog, you will not be held liable, thus, you won't be charged for the action(s) of your dog.

However, if he goes to sue you in civil court, you should counter sue for the damages done to your window. As for the damage to the garage, he can't be sued for that because he personally didn't commit that action, but those who did, can, if you know who they are in which you will in the court hearings. In either one of these cases, your lawyer(s) will advise you better than what they can since they know the law better than what we know.

Give me a call when you can and I will show you where I found that information for you to print out and keep as a reference.

Hope you and your daughter are okay, Steve! :)
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Steve: Yes, I am Sandy's friend. I wondered if you were her boyfriend I've heard so much about, and figured you must at least know each other. It's a small world, isn't it? :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

K9Steve wrote:...I'm finding it would have been better had I shot the man, but I'm not a violent man, and I don't want his murder to be on my conscience, even if I was just protecting my family and property. Remember also that my dogs were all over the man, so had I shot at the man, I could have shot one of my dogs, and that is another reason why I didn't fire the gun.
it wouldn't have been murder had you shot. there is a difference between killing and murder. the difference is all in the WHY.

I am glad you and your daughter are safe. If you live in a sane part of Pennsylvania, you probably will be ok. hopefully you are not in or near philly.

I have no words for the stupidity that allows someone committing a crime to sue their victims. how did we get to this place?

Oh, and I hope your dog got a super nice and juicy raw meaty bone for doing it's job.

sounds like you did everything right. no warning shot, only concidered shooting if you had no choice and a clear shot, didn't pursue, called the police and most important of all...keep your cool. you can't ask for more. sounds like you did good.
K9Steve

Post by K9Steve »

Fundog wrote:Steve: Yes, I am Sandy's friend. I wondered if you were her boyfriend I've heard so much about, and figured you must at least know each other. It's a small world, isn't it?
No, I'm not Sandy's boyfriend, but her boyfriend's cousin. I just happen to have the same first name and look like him too, so that is why Sandy gets confused at times, because Steve and I do look like identical twins except for the eyes and some other "markings." :lol:
jacksdad wrote:
K9Steve wrote:...I'm finding it would have been better had I shot the man, but I'm not a violent man, and I don't want his murder to be on my conscience, even if I was just protecting my family and property. Remember also that my dogs were all over the man, so had I shot at the man, I could have shot one of my dogs, and that is another reason why I didn't fire the gun.
it wouldn't have been murder had you shot. there is a difference between killing and murder. the difference is all in the WHY.

I am glad you and your daughter are safe. If you live in a sane part of Pennsylvania, you probably will be ok. hopefully you are not in or near philly.

I have no words for the stupidity that allows someone committing a crime to sue their victims. how did we get to this place?

Oh, and I hope your dog got a super nice and juicy raw meaty bone for doing it's job.

sounds like you did everything right. no warning shot, only concidered shooting if you had no choice and a clear shot, didn't pursue, called the police and most important of all...keep your cool. you can't ask for more. sounds like you did good.
I take it you mean "intent." I didn't fire the gun because of a few reasons. One, my dogs were all over the man; secondly, had I fired the gun and somehow missed, the bullet would have riccocheted and possibly hit either me, my pets, or even my daughter; or third, if the bullet went through the floor and hit the right spot, I could have blown the house up, because there is a gas line running through under that part of the floor. I definitely had to keep calm to make decisions.

As for being any "sane" parts of Pennsylvania, there are none. We're just as insane as the rest of the world! :lol: :lol: :lol:

When you think about the actions of humans, think how many actions we do that is stupidity! We kill one another over things we don't really need! :roll: As for the laws, well, I think the law in each and every state need to be updated to meet certain situations, as most humans don't see things "Black or White"; it's always the "Grey" areas we seem focused on.

By the way, the dogs did get their big, meaty bones I saved for them after I had bought some meat from a local farmer. Since the dogs were being rewarded, I decided to give my three cats a can each of tuna in oil. Now all furry family members are happy! :D
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Steve, good to hear you and your daughter are both safe and doing fine. However, with your -let's say "potential" legal problems- your best bet is also to check the law books at the county courthouse. These books are also up-to-date, and if you have questions, there are people there to help you find what you're looking for or give you the advice you need, because these people legal/law researchers for many of the attorneys in the area as well as for the judges and the district attorney. If you hate looking through a lot of the books, they have all these books online too, however, you can't download to your computer and view them from home, unless you've paid for the service, but I do know their computers are logged into it while they're open. So your best bet is to go there (courthouse) first to do all your legal researches. This way, you can be prepared when you meet with your attorney.
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
K9Steve

Post by K9Steve »

Thanks Sandy and thanks for that information too. I will go there as soon as I can. :D