*Wave* It's been a while!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Leigha

*Wave* It's been a while!

Post by Leigha »

Hi all!

It's been a while since I posted last. Life with a 2 year old (when did that happen?!?) is insane. I hope everyone's doing well :)

For those who remember me--J and I are doing well, our baby just turned 2 almost a month ago. He's so amazing, and so frustrating and strong-willed, but I wouldn't trade him for the world.

My love at his birthday party. Isn't he too stinking cute?
DSC_0342 by primrosemommy, on Flickr

Last I was popped in we were up to 4 pups: Lu, Kole, Bruiser and Dixie. About a year ago we called Lu and Kole's original owner--she had given them to us because her 3 year old was very rough with them and was afraid she was going to hurt them unintentionally. Well, V had started doing the same thing. Except since the old boys were much older they got snappy with him, I don't blame them. But we called Kole & Lu's original owner and they are happily living back with their mommy #1. She was so happy to have them back and they were so happy to be living back with her. So I guess we were just extended babysitters.

A month ago, on April 2nd, Bruiser and Dixie dug out of our yard and into our neighbor's yard while we were gone. Our neighbor either let them out of her yard or they somehow got out of her fence. We found the hole that they got out of our yard through, but we didn't see where they could have gotten out of her yard. She didn't seem like the kind to just let our dogs loose, but they're new neighbors. We called vets, shelters, humane society, posted on all of the online sites, and nothing. There's no sign of them. We're all really sad. There've been rabbits in our backyard, so we think they caught the scent of something and are gone. I make myself believe that they're 1--together, and 2--being spoiled by some family. It makes me feel better.

This past week a friend of ours was in dire need of a foster family for a dog. The dog's family was moving and couldn't take him with them. They'd originally had a family lined up, but the family backed out on Monday (the dog's family was leaving on Wednesday). If they couldn't find a home for him he was going to the shelter. So, the big fat sucker that I am took in a foster--but he's likely going to be permanent. His name is Anubis. He's a 2 year old doberman, and such an incredibly sweet dog. He's very respectful of V. He doesn't steal food from him, he doesn't knock him over, he backs up if V tells him no, if V pushes in between the two of us Anubis will step aside. He's basically a gigantic loving lap dog. His only real issue is that he never really had obedience training, so doesn't know the basic commands, and is a bit jumpy. We're working on that. He also uses his mouth a lot, but he's really soft with it. He doesn't bit down at all. We're still working on that though because it's really intimidating to have a gigantic 60lb dog put your whole hand in his mouth.

So, just wanted to pop in and say hi :) I'll be around more often now I hope! Life's hopefully going to slow down soon.
MPbandmom

Re: *Wave* It's been a while!

Post by MPbandmom »

What a cutie!

Nice to hear from you. Good news on the two going back to their original owners. Sad news on the other two. Hopefully they have found themselves a new home since you were unable to locate them. Dogs don't generally just vanish and if they are people sociable they will usually find some kind hearted person that believes they need a home without trying to find out if they belong to someone else. Especially if the dog isn't wearing a collar. It is good for the dobie that you were available when he needed a new home.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Hi!

Great to see you back here and wow.. time does fly doesn't it, hes no baby any more, hes a proper tiny smallhuman!!

Its cool that Lu and Kole could go back to their first Mom, but I am sorry to hear about Bruiser and Dixie, fingers x the skills you taught them helped them work their way into another families home, unfortunately a LOT of folk just don't look for previous owners at all (I can't understand it but some folk just don't think that way!).

I do think things sometimes happen for a reason and there you go, along came Anubis to teach you something ELSE about dogs, have fun finding out what that is (probably 'Dobermans are velcro dogs and ADORE their people in a 'you will never pee alone' kind of way!).

Anyway, welcome back :) (but um, 2 year old... life slow down?? )
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Great to hear from you :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

nice to hear from you. has it really been 2 years?????? wow, were did the time go?
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Anubis does follow me to the potty!! He and V also try to jockey for best lap position.

Hoping life settles down since J is working from home 3x a week, and we're really hoping my p/t position will go f/t, which will get me working from home 100%. Right now I work 2 jobs: one p/t online and one f/t at a traditional school.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Here are two of my 3 boys (I'm highly outnumbered... working on fixing that) on Sunday morning before getting dressed for the day.

Wes

Post by Wes »

Welcome back! I love that last photo of the boys on the couch - too cute!
probably 'Dobermans are velcro dogs and ADORE their people in a 'you will never pee alone' kind of way
TRUTH! Sampson's time out area is the bathroom just for this reason!
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hello and welcome back! :)

He is a cutie! :)

Sorry to hear about your pups though. :( Hopefully they will be found.

Has it been two years now? Gee, the saying "Time flies..." really means that! :shock: :lol:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Hi again Lovies!

It hasn't been 2 years since my last update! :D

Our family has grown by a temporary 1. New project of sorts. Two weeks ago a friend of a friend (these friends of friends are killing me) found a severely emaciated pit mix who was in really bad shape, but couldn't keep her. I ended up agreeing to foster her since it was either me or she was going to be taken to the vet to be put to sleep. My hormones are all wonky, so I went and got her.

She was 39 pounds when we got her, her hair was missing in huge patches all over and her toenail had been ripped out. She's just barely 2 and has probably been bred both cycles, poor girl. She's as sweet as can be though. Gets on well with V, Anubis and she are good playmates. She's learning manners. She's now up to 49 pounds, only a few more to go and she'll be a nice good weight. Her hair has started growing back in all over thanks to some antibiotics and being sprayed with tea tree oil a few times a day. The first vet who saw her prescribed an antibiotic wash, but I don't want to be using those kinds of chemicals right now, so our vet who is much more natural said that tea tree oil would be fine.

She's heartworm positive, so that's a hurdle we have to overcome, but our vet is going with the slow kill method since she was in such bad shape to start off with. My hope is that we can find her a home by Christmas, so in the meantime we have a lot of work to do in terms of solidifying house training, and some basic obedience.

Here are a few of her when she got to us:
You can see her poor little hairless head. It's all started to grow back in now though, we're just waiting 'til it's all back to start taking some pretty shots of her.

They each had their own beds from the start. She preferred to sleep with Anubis though. Then Anubis decided he likes her bed better, though it's half the size, so she sleeps in his bed and he sleeps in her bed. They cuddle on the couch during the day though.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

she is very lucky to have landed at your house.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Wow, Leigha-- it's great to hear from you! (I've been on a sabbatical from here too, lol)

So sorry to hear about Bruiser and Dixie. But it's great you were able to take in two new homeless souls that are in need of your kindness and skills.

And yeah, your little guy is darling! Enjoy this age while it lasts-- they grow up soooo fast! :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Hello to you both (you are much missed!)!!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

We just got back from vacation and I went and got the dogs from the kennel (they were there for a week--we have a phenomenal kennel here). Pretty Girl has laid across my chest and tried to lick my face off and Anubis has laid on my feet. They both look amazing. Pretty Girl's bald spots have come in, her toenail has healed up and grown in and her coarse yucky warthog hair is being replaced by the prettiest brindle coat. I think she's even getting darker coated. She looks so much better than when we got her.

Here's a video of them shortly after we got home from the kennel. They'd been romping around the living room bouncing off of each other and the furniture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlmKU1BJLUM
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Yep, "Pretty Girl" is a good name for her, bless her heart. :)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.