"He is so polite!"

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ari_RR

"He is so polite!"

Post by Ari_RR »

Not that I want to brag :lol:
We went on the morning walk around the neighborhood and met 2 ladies with dogs.
One dog is afraid of Ari, so we waited nicely (Ari sitting) while they got to their house without approaching them, gave them space and time that they needed.
The other dog is not afraid of Ari, but always gives him a few barks as if to tell him to stay off her lawn. We passed her without looking at her.
Both ladies were thrilled, I think slowly but surely Ari is beginning to win an least some neighbors over. Very nice.

And then in the evening we went to the nature park, he stayed on 30 ft leash but met a few dogs, very nicely, to the point of getting a comment from an owner "He (Ari) is so polite!". Ari as an example of politeness!! :roll: Who could imagine ? Certainly not me, just last January / February I was still envisioning having to stay on the most remote trails forever.

But most amazing was running into an off-leash male lab, who is aggressive towards intact males. The owner was worried once she realized that Ari was intact, and sure enough the lab was circling Ari, growling.. But much to my surprise Ari did not return the growls, simply sniffed something and walked away.

We've come a long way... So for those who struggle through adolescence - it passes, like everything else!
Erica

Re: "He is so polite!"

Post by Erica »

Bravo Ari! What a great thing to happen. :) I bet it took you lots of patience and work to get to this point, so some credit goes to a good owner!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ari_RR wrote:But most amazing was running into an off-leash male lab, who is aggressive towards intact males. The owner was worried once she realized that Ari was intact, and sure enough the lab was circling Ari, growling.. But much to my surprise Ari did not return the growls, simply sniffed something and walked away.
Now that is really impressive :D He's got the confidence to think 'I could if I wanted to' but not feel the need to prove himself :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

I've always loved Ari but I suspect he's turning into an amazing adult dog :D Ted sends liver treats 8)
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
minkee

Post by minkee »

All the hard work is paying off. Bravo Ari, bravo AriDad!
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Thanks! The entire dynamic of walks is changing to the better. Pendulum swinging the other way, so to say. :D
Before - we would go out with the expectation of some kind of an incident, scaring a neighbor, or getting into a growling match with some dog.
Now I go out expecting a nice and peaceful walk regardless of who we meet, which probably makes me chill and relaxed, which in turn makes him chill and relaxed, and so on..

Before - "A person coming our way!! Darn, where can we hide??"
Now - "A person coming our way!! Great, let's walk by him and get some treats when we pass him!!"

Not 100%, of course, but remarkable shift still.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I love your Ari stories, and this is a great one! Good for him and for you. :D Just like kids, sometimes you think all your hard work and effort will never pay off, so when it does, it feels incredible! :D :D Gotta love that Ari!
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
CarolineLovesDogs

Post by CarolineLovesDogs »

Good for you!! I'm so happy to hear that Ari is doing better than ever and hope to continue hearing more positive updates! What a polite boy!:)
kerryvis

Post by kerryvis »

Oh that's good and i like the polite person.
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

Yayyyy Ari! We're lucky in that all of our neighbors seem to like Abby, even though she looks a little like a junkyard dog at this point.. :lol: Good for your neighbors for giving him a chance! :)