Pet Loss

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Herman's Human

Pet Loss

Post by Herman's Human »

Herman, my angel, passed away April 6, 2012. I still cry uncontrolably sometimes and am unsure what pet loss counciling is. Any feedback?
Last edited by Herman's Human on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suzette

Re: Pet Loss

Post by Suzette »

First, I'm so sorry to hear of Herman's passing. And I'm sorry it's still so difficult for you to cope with your loss.

After reading your question, I simply went to Google and typed in "pet loss counseling (and them my city and state)" and it came up with several resources in my area. I would start there and see what help is in your area and if it's something that you think might help you.

A friend of mine lost a very beloved cat of hers quite unexpectedly several years ago (he got out of the house when she was away on a business trip and was hit by a car). After many, many weeks of not being able to cope, she sought counseling and it helped her tremendously. I wish you luck and will keep you in my thoughts.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Herman's Human

Post by Herman's Human »

Suzette wrote:First, I'm so sorry to hear of Herman's passing. And I'm sorry it's still so difficult for you to cope with your loss.
Thank you for the kind words. I'm past the darkest point in my grieving now and I'm coping much better. My involvement in local animal rescue has helped me a lot, an emotional outlet and a way to honor Herman's memory.
gwd

Post by gwd »

Herman's Human wrote:
Suzette wrote:First, I'm so sorry to hear of Herman's passing. And I'm sorry it's still so difficult for you to cope with your loss.
Thank you for the kind words. I'm past the darkest point in my grieving now and I'm coping much better. My involvement in local animal rescue has helped me a lot, an emotional outlet and a way to honor Herman's memory.
it's weird, i find the older i get, the worse i deal with the loss of a pet. not that it was ever easy...... my last dog was an 'only' for 8 years. when he was whelped i had his grandmother, aunt and of course his mother. ..........when he was about 5 i had a awful year and i lost all three girls in a 11 month period. i never thought i'd have just one dog and i expected rufus to hate being alone as he'd never had even a moment of his life being a singlton.........i was wrong. he LOVED being the center of attention.

after a time i considered adding another dog but by then he was kind of a grumpy old man and i didn't want to tarnish his golden years by having to deal with puppy antics. .......when i lost him i was, for the first time in my looooooong adult life, pet-less. perhaps that is why it was extra painful. a house is very empty without a dog.

i'm glad that the raw pain has passed.......from experience, it won't be too much longer for the memories to all be good and they will make you smile rather than tear up.