Ignorance

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Herman's Human

Ignorance

Post by Herman's Human »

While talking to someone who had known my angel, Herman, I mentioned that Herman was pulling on the leash. The person said to get a choke -chain. I said that wasn't going to happen, the person's reply was that Herman needed to be shown who's boss because "he's a pit bull". Herman loved this person and I was shocked that the person would say that. :(
gwd

Re: Ignorance

Post by gwd »

Herman's Human wrote:While talking to someone who had known my angel, Herman, I mentioned that Herman was pulling on the leash. The person said to get a choke -chain. I said that wasn't going to happen, the person's reply was that Herman needed to be shown who's boss because "he's a pit bull". Herman loved this person and I was shocked that the person would say that. :(
it's not an uncommon belief held by many owners (and the general public) of working breeds or very confident breeds such as gsd's, rotties, pitties, dobies, etc.........
Herman's Human

Post by Herman's Human »

True. Years ago, when I was first beginning to train a White German Shepherd Dog puppy through a breed club and rescue, I was taught to use choke-chains and prong collars. I did so for years as I didn't know any better. :cry: I came to regret that approach and renounced it completely when I learned of the Positive Reinforcement method.
doggiedad

Post by doggiedad »

train your dog not to pull. i like teaching my dogs to heel on either side with
or without a leash. you can train your dog to heel usuing a flat collar. the training
is in the practice, being repetitious and being consistent in your training.
Herman's Human

Post by Herman's Human »

I agree. Choking a dog isn't training, it's force. I now cringe when I see choke chains and prong collars :|
Laoxinat

Post by Laoxinat »

Hi all! My first post, and on a subject I love to talk about! The one thing that Cesar Milan almost gets right is the importance of confidence when training your dog. Why he insists upon extrapolating this to include dominance is a mystery to me. But, many of us in the west have been brainwashed to believe that dogs and children spend their entire existence trying to put one over on us, when they are simply wanting what they want, and trying to get it. It's so sad to hear someone advocate painful, dominance-based methods just because of a dog's size or breed. And of course there's the flip side - small dogs being allowed to run amok, but that's another post lol.
jennageit

Post by jennageit »

I'll admit that I've used correction (or choke) chains for years, but only after teaching the dog to walk properly on a suitable collar. I tend to go for wider collars than most as it doesn't put as much direct pressure on any one spot on the back of the neck or the throat.

I still use correction chains on my dogs at times, but then, all of my dogs walk by my side when on lead and don't pull. Most of the time leads are used only to bring the dog inside, as all have great recall, and we're on a farm, so the dogs rarely wear collars, let alone go on-lead.

I was initiated into choke chains due to my parents showing dogs, and the only breed allowed in the ring with an actual collar was the Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
Also, in Obedience Trials (and many of the obedience clubs around here almost 'require' you to use choke chains), you're expected to use a choke chain to take your dog to the starting point.

I've seen dogs abused by chains, and collars alike. I prefer not to use either, but I am in a situation where I can do this. When I do have to put my dog on lead, it's on a check chain but not set up to choke, but set up to loop over the dogs head (my Boxer ***** with no ears love to show that she can slip this off lol) and the dog is asked to heel.

Good training has set my dogs up to know what I expect of them. If I want them beside me when walking, I tell them "Close" for my male, and "Heel" for my female. Pippa, well, she just ambles next to me whenever we're out.

JMO

Jenna
Kids, dogs, family, writing, coffee and chocolate. What more is there in life?
Oh yeah, updating my blog daily, there's always that too!