Interesting Discussion re: choke chains

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

runlikethewind

Re: Interesting Discussion re: choke chains

Post by runlikethewind »

Ah I see!
Cassidyyorkie

Post by Cassidyyorkie »

Suzette wrote:I know a few folks who use choke collars on their dogs, not to deter pulling forward, but to prevent their dogs from backing out of their collars like some can with a flat collar. When appropriate for me to say something, I recommend to them a martingale collar over a choke collar for this purpose. Same result, more humane for the dog.
A martingale collar can be used for the same purpose without the same level of trachea damage.
gwd

Post by gwd »

Suzette wrote:I know a few folks who use choke collars on their dogs, not to deter pulling forward, but to prevent their dogs from backing out of their collars like some can with a flat collar. When appropriate for me to say something, I recommend to them a martingale collar over a choke collar for this purpose. Same result, more humane for the dog.
i use a martingale for agility, a narrow braided leather choke collar (and leash) for conformation, and a metal choke chain for obedience. .......i train obedience with a flat buckle collar.

the narrow braided leather choke for conformation is just what is used.......it's not as if we're using the collar for control as the dog is already trained to move on the leash. you keep just enough tension to keep the collar, leash up under the ear. the slight tension reminds the dog to keep his head up as you're running, that position also allows the judge to see the outline of the dog, unencumbered by a collar line. the idea is that you want it to appear as if your dog is moving with you, without a collar or leash attached. obviously, the narrow leashes and collars we use are not meant to choke the dog, in fact, you don't want anything more than light tension as any pulling or jerking throws off the movement of the dog. you have less than two minutes of the judges time, any strides that are not true are missed opportunities for the judge to see you're dog moves correctly.

the chain collar in obedience is simply a way to differentiate for the dog that obedience rules are in effect. we want automatic sits when we stop........something we do NOT want in the conformation ring. ........but the actual training is done primarily with a buckle collar.......we only switch to the choke chain when the dog is fully trained and we're getting close to being ring ready.

tools in and of themselves are not evil or bad........it's how they are used.
Cheryl A

Post by Cheryl A »

New here hi all. My belief is irregardless of the size dog, any interaction should be built on mutual trust and partnership. I grew up training neighborhood dogs, family member dogs, but have never YET had my own.
I do like training collars but for noise in correction not for snap. A Martingale with short chain section works just as well. If a dog knows walks are fun they enjoy being with you.

Mostly will just be lurking. :wink: and learning more.
horseluver65

Post by horseluver65 »

I try to take a balanced approach to dog training- not entirely positive reinforcement based but certainly without some of the very cruel correction based training techniques. I have to agree though that choke collars are downright cruel and are so often used improperly it makes you cringe for the poor dog. When possible I suggest using prong collars instead. They look worse but are much kinder as they don't choke the poor dog to death.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

horseluver65 wrote:I try to take a balanced approach to dog training- not entirely positive reinforcement based but certainly without some of the very cruel correction based training techniques. I have to agree though that choke collars are downright cruel and are so often used improperly it makes you cringe for the poor dog. When possible I suggest using prong collars instead. They look worse but are much kinder as they don't choke the poor dog to death.
Forgive me if I'm out of line, but I'm beginning to wonder what your objective is here Horseluver. You have made three posts on three different topics and in each case you've recommended prong collars. That seems a bit odd to me. Beyond that, as Claire has said in two of your other posts, advising aversives is against the policies of this board which teaches and advocates humane, positive approaches to dog training.

Perhaps you have no agenda and truly believe in the use of prong collars as a valid training tool, but it is frowned upon here. I'd suggest you read through all the great threads about training humanely and positively and give those methods a try instead. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Horseluver has been warned and there should be no further posts recommending prong collars (or any other aversive!).

Sometimes people miss the board guidelines that do state we do not allow the promotion of aversive methods or gadgets here.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

For those concerned about dogs backing out of their collars, you might search for a "limited slip" collar. These are flat collars that provide only a couple of inches of constriction if the dog is pulling against them. The work in essentially the same principal as a martingale collar, but have less hardware.

"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm