Raw Food Diet

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

gwd

Re: Raw Food Diet

Post by gwd »

Nettle wrote:It's okay to trim their knickers so this doesn't happen quite so spectacularly.
what the devil you say.......... :shock:

as someone who nurtures each and every hair, the notion of trimming pants sent a cold shiver up my spine.

we do trim the vent which allows a clean departure......which is not to say things always go well. i'm having a flashback to a recent walk i had with boy dog. it was a bit damp out so sticks and leaves were adhering to his coat. i stopped to pluck a dead leaf out of his pants.........it wasn't a leaf. :evil:

of course this was at about the furthers point from my house ......the only thing to be done was wiping my hand best i could in the wet grass......finishing the job on my pant leg and then dumping my jeans in the washer the moment i got home.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Lol, as Ted isn't a show dog, his coat can be maintained to Clare's convenience not show standards :lol: I used to trim studdog's knickers and his gentleman bits as well. When he became very old, he also became extra hairy, so I had to trim round his eyes so he could see better (he was going blind and needed all the help he could get) as well.

Done carefully, it doesn't actually shout This dog has been trimmed. :wink: but can help with dealing with fallout.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

Ami's pants weren't done carefully...they just shaved a patch 'round his bum to keep it clean and dry while he was recovering from that awful diarrhea. He isn't a show dog, obviously. :lol: But even the bare bum looks better than his entire backside and tail dripping with poo. (To think people at the emergency vet thought he was beautiful, all bedraggled and miserable and covered in stinky mess, still astounds me. He is a stunner, but in that state?)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

A very small, not-so-sticky poop last night (somewhat firm!) and a decidedly firm little one this afternoon. /very excited over canine BMs :lol:

However, I gave him the last of the chicken leg quarter tonight (I think about a third was left) and he practically swallowed it whole. :shock: He crunched the bones up and then it seemed like he just inhaled the rest. I don't think that's a good thing :shock:
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

OnceInAWeil wrote:However, I gave him the last of the chicken leg quarter tonight (I think about a third was left) and he practically swallowed it whole. :shock: He crunched the bones up and then it seemed like he just inhaled the rest. I don't think that's a good thing :shock:
To me that doesn't sound like a large enough piece for him, Ted will eat either a whole thigh or a leg in one sitting sometimes and he's 6lb :D So I think part of your problem is the pieces are too small, how often do you feed him, it's probably better to feed just once a day and feed bigger if this helps.

Also dogs eat by ripping and smashing things into a small enough piece to swallow, they don't have the equipment in their mouths to chew and they don't need to break stuff down before swallowing like we do (although my Grandad, god rest his soul didn't get that memo :lol: ).

Here's some big dogs eating whole chickens, you can see how they swallow large pieces :D http://tinkerwolf.com/2012/05/29/ryans-raw-story/
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

ClareMarsh wrote:Here's some big dogs eating whole chickens, you can see how they swallow large pieces :D http://tinkerwolf.com/2012/05/29/ryans-raw-story/
That video is BEYOND COOL!!!!

Question though, the chickens in my supermarket are about 1.5-2 kg and will feed Oreo for 7-10 days. Can I just put the chicken down and let her have it? If she polishes off the chicken off in 1 or 2 sittings, does it mean I fast her for the next 8-9 days that chicken is supposed to last her?
bendog

Post by bendog »

Haha my dogs would demolish a chicken in one sitting (sasha has done once when she stole one off the side :shock: ) I would have some very porky doggies very quickly. And I wouldn't fast a dog for 8 days!

I do wonder though - if I offered ridiculously large (eg whole rabbits) portions every day, would they eventually figure out how to self regulate since they get it every day (and presumably even dogs like mine wouldn't manage to eat a whole chicken 2 days on the trot?)

Tony will definitely need larger pieces though - the general rule is give a piece bigger than/about the size of their head and then they can't swallow it whole.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Some self-regulate - some would eat until they passed out. :lol: I'd take an axe or machete to the chicken if you want to feed smaller pieces. Or get the butcher to rough-chop it for you (beware the inevitable lecture about feeding your dog raw food, bones, chicken etc :roll: )

And - you don't have to give the same size meals each time. Mine quite often have a banquet one day and a light day or two afterwards.

bendog

Post by bendog »

Nettle wrote:Some self-regulate - some would eat until they passed out. :lol: I'd take an axe or machete to the chicken if you want to feed smaller pieces. Or get the butcher to rough-chop it for you (beware the inevitable lecture about feeding your dog raw food, bones, chicken etc :roll: )

And - you don't have to give the same size meals each time. Mine quite often have a banquet one day and a light day or two afterwards.
An axe or a machete!!! :lol: :shock:
What's wrong with a good old sharp kitchen knife!

I'm so guna buy a machete now and stand in the garden chopping meat. How long before I am arrested?

Mine are definately in the eat until they pass out category :lol:
They get a whole bunny on their birthdays and can eat half in one sitting (they would pop if they had more, I think the fur fills them up!)

I quite often am too lazy to chop certain things, so mine get feast days and hungry days too.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Hehe, don't forget we butcher game :lol: and we have to do it down the garden (on a chopping block on top of a tree stump) because our kitchen is tiny.

A sharp knife would be great if we had one, but axe or machete is SO satisfying - and less risky as yer fingers are further away from the business end. Easier with frozen meat too. But I take your point absolutely - just that I am used to dealing with bigger carcases!

Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

What if doggies get the whole chicken and removes the fleshy parts first and leave the bone and scraps of meat on the bones for the next, won't the 2nd day's meal be too bony? Will that cause problems then?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Shouldn't do, as long as you don't let the carcase dry out, so wrap it in foil or put in an airtight box.

Meals don't have to be balanced meal by meal, as long as over the week they get all they need of different things. It's so easy, it's hard to get our heads round :)

OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

ClareMarsh wrote:
OnceInAWeil wrote:However, I gave him the last of the chicken leg quarter tonight (I think about a third was left) and he practically swallowed it whole. :shock: He crunched the bones up and then it seemed like he just inhaled the rest. I don't think that's a good thing :shock:
To me that doesn't sound like a large enough piece for him, Ted will eat either a whole thigh or a leg in one sitting sometimes and he's 6lb :D So I think part of your problem is the pieces are too small, how often do you feed him, it's probably better to feed just once a day and feed bigger if this helps.

Also dogs eat by ripping and smashing things into a small enough piece to swallow, they don't have the equipment in their mouths to chew and they don't need to break stuff down before swallowing like we do (although my Grandad, god rest his soul didn't get that memo :lol: ).

Here's some big dogs eating whole chickens, you can see how they swallow large pieces :D http://tinkerwolf.com/2012/05/29/ryans-raw-story/
The quarters are about half the size of those birds. The piece I gave him was leftovers, though...only a third the original size. I was trying to give him smaller pieces to ease him into it.

He is having consistently small poops (like 1/7 the size they used to be), but the firmness isn't super consistent. Yesterday they were hardening up, and this morning it went back to being sticky. I think I'm safe to start giving him real portions, though. No uncontrollable explosions on my carpet, anyway. :mrgreen:

We totally had whole chickens at the grocery store. I'll let him have the last quarter and then start buying the whole birds.
Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

OnceInAWeil wrote:He is having consistently small poops (like 1/7 the size they used to be), but the firmness isn't super consistent. Yesterday they were hardening up, and this morning it went back to being sticky. I think I'm safe to start giving him real portions, though. No uncontrollable explosions on my carpet, anyway. :mrgreen:
Come to think of it, since I first started feeding fresh raw food last June, it wasn't until December that I consistently pick nicely firm (of varying firmness depending on how much bone Oreo's had the past 2 days) small poop although she's always had small poops since starting the raw. Also, it wasn't until about October that she started pooping every other day. Before that, she will poop 1-3 times a day. I guess it takes a little bit of time for the entire system to settle down and do the work really well.
OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

He ate a 4-pound chicken yesterday morning. He had hardly gotten anything the day before, so I figure it balances him out for the two days (his ideal body weight is 100 lbs, so 2 lbs per day is what I'm aiming for, I think?). He didn't poop until late that night, a nice firm little deposit about the size of a lighter. Then another small poop this morning, very firm and kind of sandy. No bone shards. :)