Dog vomiting

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Wilkie

Dog vomiting

Post by Wilkie »

Sophie continues to vomit. It's on and off, but today she was vomiting everywhere and hacking up mucus. She's going to see the vet, but what can I do to soothe her stomach until then? Or should I wait until I see the vet before doing anything? I hate seeing her like this. She's been vomiting for 3 weeks on and off. Sometimes she goes a day without getting sick, but other days she won't stop and today is one of those days. She still seems pretty active and not in pain, but I know that looks can be deceiving. She’s tired and sleeps a lot as well. It’s to the point where she feels limp and can’t hold herself up. I rub her belly, which seems to help. It also seems like there is something wrong with her throat because she coughs up food and water a lot. At the shelter where she came from, crappy leashes were used to walk them and it would choke the dogs. The leashes were that fake, plastic braided rope that gets looped through a metal ring to create a noose around their necks. They didn't use harnesses or collars, just the cheap leash. Could that have played a part in these current issues? She has a long, delicate neck.
Dawnflight1984

Re: Dog vomiting

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

I can understand how it's really worrying to see a dog sick like that. Oreo just recovered from a 3-week-long bout of vomiting and diarrhoea. It was painful for me to see her feel sick and lose weight - she lost 0.5kg off her 5.5kg frame, really quite a bit!

What you worry about dogs vomiting lots is the lethargy, probably due to dehydration and loss of electrolytes. I know of dogs that were hospitalised to be put on drip for days because of it. What I did before I could get Oreo to the vet when she fell sick was to put her on a really easy-to-absorb diet - mashed potato and barley, with probiotics and prebiotics added. At the same time, when she can't keep food down, I force feed her about 10ml of diluted electrolyte water (you can get them from pharmacies) every hour round the clock to prevent dehydration and loss of electrolytes.A little ginger and/or peppermint tea may help too, although I hadn't done so when she was sick.

Can't comment about the leash/collar etc. because I don't know. I'm sure someone will shed some light on it soon. Do remember to ask the vet about it when you see her/him! =D

Try not to worry too much, dogs pick up on our feelings and they'll feel it too. We want Sophie calm and restful so she gets well soon! Do update us about how she is!
Wilkie

Post by Wilkie »

Dawnflight1984 wrote:I can understand how it's really worrying to see a dog sick like that. Oreo just recovered from a 3-week-long bout of vomiting and diarrhoea. It was painful for me to see her feel sick and lose weight - she lost 0.5kg off her 5.5kg frame, really quite a bit!

What you worry about dogs vomiting lots is the lethargy, probably due to dehydration and loss of electrolytes. I know of dogs that were hospitalised to be put on drip for days because of it. What I did before I could get Oreo to the vet when she fell sick was to put her on a really easy-to-absorb diet - mashed potato and barley, with probiotics and prebiotics added. At the same time, when she can't keep food down, I force feed her about 10ml of diluted electrolyte water (you can get them from pharmacies) every hour round the clock to prevent dehydration and loss of electrolytes.A little ginger and/or peppermint tea may help too, although I hadn't done so when she was sick.

Can't comment about the leash/collar etc. because I don't know. I'm sure someone will shed some light on it soon. Do remember to ask the vet about it when you see her/him! =D

Try not to worry too much, dogs pick up on our feelings and they'll feel it too. We want Sophie calm and restful so she gets well soon! Do update us about how she is!
Thank you for the advice. She hasn't vomited today, but yesterday was pretty bad. I had to follow her around just to clean up each mess. She even did it on a walk.
Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

Just wondering, is she hungry? If she is, she may eat too quickly, resulting in her regurgitating everything... Try feeding many but tiny meals and see if it helps if she starts vomiting again?
Wilkie

Post by Wilkie »

Dawnflight1984 wrote:Just wondering, is she hungry? If she is, she may eat too quickly, resulting in her regurgitating everything... Try feeding many but tiny meals and see if it helps if she starts vomiting again?
She doesn't eat too fast, but she doesn't eat one piece at a time either. She takes her time and also takes breaks before going back to her bowl. She loves food and that makes it hard to tell whether she's truly starving for food or if she just wants to be a living garbage disposal. She hasn't vomited in a few days, but has been trying to cough up something.
Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

Is it possible that she's swaalloqed something shouldn't?
Wilkie

Post by Wilkie »

Dawnflight1984 wrote:Is it possible that she's swaalloqed something shouldn't?
There are a few bushes with inedible berries, but it could've been anything. She eats grass, worms, she ate dog poop (that wasn't even hers), cat poop, rabbit poop, flowers and other plants. It could've been anything.
Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

Wilkie wrote:
There are a few bushes with inedible berries, but it could've been anything. She eats grass, worms, she ate dog poop (that wasn't even hers), cat poop, rabbit poop, flowers and other plants. It could've been anything.
If she's eaten something she shouldn't, it may have gotten stuck and the only way to check it may be an ultrasound of her belly. When's her vet appointment?
Wilkie

Post by Wilkie »

Dawnflight1984 wrote:
Wilkie wrote:
If she's eaten something she shouldn't, it may have gotten stuck and the only way to check it may be an ultrasound of her belly. When's her vet appointment?
Not for a while.