I am now training dogs at a rescue!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bendog

Re: I am now training dogs at a rescue!

Post by bendog »

Couldn't he have a large black kong? Or a stag bar - chewing is good stress relief. Probably a whole or half antler would be good.

Fleece tuggies are destructible but last longer than the rope ones.

Boomer ball? That might just frustrate him more if he can't pick it up?

Really I'd say best frustration relief is a) exercise b) shredding stuff c) chewing

Ben likes ripping up newspaper or a box of tissues and stuffed toys, but he doesn't eat it so it's fairly safe. If t would swallow stuffing obviously thats no good.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I thought about Goughnuts but they are really only fun if someone else is flinging them around, without that I reckon he would just eat them - if he was MINE, he would have a ton of such things..

Ach.. have a picture of the lad... Image If anyone COULD have him, pm me!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

I say with your training them, Emmabeth, they're lucky dogs indeed! :D
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Oh I really wish I could, from what you've said about him he sounds absolutely fantastic. Even if we could afford another dog though he's a banned breed here so a definite no go :(
Wes

Post by Wes »

I'd take him in a heartbeat if I lived in England. He just sounds like such a happy guy.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

*UPDATE UPDATE*....

Can we ALL cross our fingers, spit in our hats, spink, do a funny dance, pray, whatever is you prefer......

Tony has got a reserve!

Been to the rescue to catch up as I have been away for a week and a half and apparently, some BRILLIANT people have reserved him - people who totally get that he has a massive brain and needs to use it and is desperate to please his people.

They don't have any other dogs however they do a visiting older lab ***** and hes met her and learned he can't be a pillock around her or she tells him to back off, which he takes in the spirit intended.

The staff (N and L) have done a FANTASTIC job whilst I have been away, parallel walking Tony with another dog in the rescue as well as this labrador, and I have seen an awesome video of Tony actually sharing a bucket of water with the other shelter dog after lots of walks and meeting both nose to butt and face to face.

So, his intentions ARE purely play - though rude pushy play, and the staff know that he shouldn't be permitted to play like that so have been working on teaching him that if he is calm, he gets to say hi, if he is not calm he has to back off.

In fact, hopefully - here is that video. Please note, they DID do a LOT of parallel walking before allowing these head on meetings, they didn't just go straight into the pen!

https://www.facebook.com/CanisEquusLeather?ref=hl you'll have to scroll down a little for the video.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Oooh, fingers crossed for him!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

His home check is booked for next week, so I will update you as soon as I know anything at all!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Everything crossed! :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Latest news from rescue land..

Lots more work with Berty boy, he hasn't bitten anyone in quite a while now and we are doing anxiety wraps and my version of Ttouch (which probably isn't as good but I can't quite get my head round the one and a quarter circles n stuff). He's definitely starting to relax more and is keener to interact with me and generally less edgy.

I have some vids that I won't put up here as a certain banned person keeps stalking my Youtube vids but if anyone wants a link, pm me. There are some vids from today which I will put up however, just waiting for them to upload now!

Tony news - Tony is going hooooooooooooooooooome tomorrow. I met his new people and they are LOVELY, absolutely super people who adore him and understand him and are willing to learn new skills to keep him happy and content, so thats awesome. I gave them a clicker and a run through of what he can do and what he potentially could do, andthey will stay in contact as well.

Sooooooo good day today really :D
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Heres Bertie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keubPtOt ... e=youtu.be

This is session 3 of anxiety wraps - yes I know he gets his face rather closer to mine than I'd like given I have seen just how fast and repeatedly this dog bites, but trust goes both ways.. sooo.. anyway I was pleased with this session. We are teaching him that physical contact and restraint is ok and even enjoyable, that being on the table is fine, and we are also doin some similar stuff on the floor but at a much reduced amount of pressure.

I particularly love the leaning into me and the eyes closed!

Today on the floor he trundled around with the wrap on for a minute or two, i stood up and leaned over him and touche dhim on his neck an ddown both sides, and then i sat on the floor and did some Ttouch and a belly lift.

He reacted quite oddly by stretching out both back legs a lot, individually and together.

And here is Bert playing with a puzzle toy (this was actually done before the wrap to get rid of some giddiness first) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9SiVD86OQ4
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

congrats on tony.

Bertie appears to be fairly relaxed with you, but worried about that camera aimed at him.

oh...you know you hit the big leagues when you get a stalker :twisted:
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Oh he's a sweetie!

Can I ask if he only did the back leg stretching when he had the wrap on?
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Not sure, he definitely did it the first time and that time the wrap wasn't covering his willy... don't know about the time in between that as he mainly lay down all floppy dog!

Jacksdad - it also doesn't help that the camera person is stood in front of a window where Bert can see the exercise pens (FUNFUNJOYPUKEOMGAMAZING) and dogs walking around and general stuff going on.

HIs improvement in his training sessions is pretty amazing, I do wish I had thought of filming them at the start, doh! Initially, even with a really simple puzzle toy on the floor, all he would do would be circle circle, scratch at himself, bite himself, sniff under the door, look at me, circle circle, lock on to some sound and tremble, circle bite lick nibble stare..... He had absolutely no idea that people could mean NICE things, but he very much wants to believe and trust it now he has discovered it.

My main worry now is not that he can learn to trust - he can, I think the videos show that - but can we get him to trust enough that he has some tolerance for stupid humans, because he is also a VERY fast learner and it wouldn't take very much for him to revert back..
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

I think if he can build up enough good experiences before any idiots are allowed interact with him he should be better equipped to deal and hopefully wouldn't be set back too far.

I've noticed with the jrt types at the rescue that if they have to wear coats with anything underneath that goes past their rib cage they will often stretch their back legs out.

That being said my own girl will stretch her back legs out while standing sideways so that you can rub her tummy with your foot it's odd but she likes her backend to be sort of lifted off the ground as you do it. Freaks guests out a bit as it looks like dog abuse but she'll keep coming back for more and her face looks like someone getting a nice shoulder rub.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules