Finding that perfect holiday

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Finding that perfect holiday

Post by JudyN »

This is just a vent, I guess...

But I'm trying to find a holiday cottage for next year. I fancy North Devon for a change from Cornwall, and have been looking round Saunton and Woolacombe, but just how hard can it be to find something that ticks all the boxes?

- Character cottage suitable for two adults
- Dog friendly
- Allows dog in bedroom
- Walking distance from a large, fairly quiet (in June) dog friendly beach
- Walking distance to a dog friendly pub :wink:
- Garden with grass, as Jasper wouldn't poo in the patio garden in Kenilworth

And what may prove to be the nail in the coffin...

- Walks to the beach and down the village which don't involve narrow windy roads with no pavement or verge. I know Jasper is narrow, but he has the steering of a narrow boat and can easily block a narrow road!

Any suggestions for holidays that tick all these boxes are gratefully received - oh, as long as they're in the south of England. I'd love to go to Scotland but it's an awfully long way from here :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
bendog

Re: Finding that perfect holiday

Post by bendog »

Allows dog in bedroom
Discretion is key here! I would have my dogs in the bedroom regardless of whether they are allowed or not. Throw a blanket over the bed and hoover up before leaving and who is going to know?
- Walking distance from a large, fairly quiet (in June) dog friendly beach
Is a beach essential? There are many many places that might not have a beach but have hills or fields or woods to walk in?
Garden with grass, as Jasper wouldn't poo in the patio garden in Kenilworth
If theres a road nearby with a grass verge I would take him on there to poo. So grassed garden is less of a priority.
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

If you're a member of some travel/motoring club or some travel agency, see if they have information on "Pet Friendly" places. Some organizations like the one I'm a part of have all kinds of information I can take my dog, Sheba, when I have to travel. So, check them out! :wink:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

bendog wrote:Discretion is key here! I would have my dogs in the bedroom regardless of whether they are allowed or not. Throw a blanket over the bed and hoover up before leaving and who is going to know?
I worry that the owners might pop round while we're out and see the dog bed... or we might get found out some other way and be made to feel like criminals :(
Is a beach essential? There are many many places that might not have a beach but have hills or fields or woods to walk in?
One advantage of beaches is that they don't tend to have deer or rabbits on them, and you can see your dog a long way off :lol: And Jasper adored the beach in Cornwall.
If theres a road nearby with a grass verge I would take him on there to poo. So grassed garden is less of a priority.
Yes, it's something we can manage without. It would just make life easier as we'd know if he was whingeing for a walk or whingeing for a poo!

Oh, I forgot another criterion. Either there must be no cliffs, or near vertical ones!

CoolDog, we were in the AA, but cancelled it after they abandoned us on the hard shoulder of a motorway for over two hours, and when the police said they were happy to stay with our dead car so we could get a lift to Heathrow from a taxi driver who stopped at the scene, insisted that we stay with the car till they arrived. We did make our flight by the skin of our teeth, but weren't happy bunnies.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Have you tried looking on The Good Dog Guide - www.gooddogguide.com ?
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

boy, you don't ask much do you judy :twisted: :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

jacksdad wrote:boy, you don't ask much do you judy :twisted: :lol:
Oh, I'm very easy to please, but Jasper is a discerning hound who demands the best :wink:

Ladybug, I've checked out that website and many similar - found one cottage that would have been perfect if the walk to the beach had verges, and another that only had a tiny wooden decking area - and I found a YouTube video of it in which it looked distinctly shabby, even by my standards :?

I've discovered that the local library lends out OS maps and had one for the area I'm looking at, so at least I can study that this evening and give my fingers a break :lol:
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

JudyN wrote: Jasper is a discerning hound who demands the best :wink:
you know your in trouble when he starts demanding specific sheets on the bed
gwd

Post by gwd »

jacksdad wrote:
it's not so much that he cares about the brand. it's more an issue of thread count. :lol:
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

gwd wrote:
jacksdad wrote:
it's not so much that he cares about the brand. it's more an issue of thread count. :lol:
clearly...that goes without saying :mrgreen:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Given that he already has his own masseuse and trainer, I don't stand a chance :lol: