Field vs show Labrador

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Vicki.C87

Field vs show Labrador

Post by Vicki.C87 »

Hi,

I have a 13 week old female Labrador and was trying to figure out whether she is more of a "field" or "show" type. She is a pet and will not be used for either, I'm just interested in what she is likely to look like as an adult is all.

The thing is the info you read on the net is not very clear. Does anyone have a dummie's guide to telling the difference?

Thanks
JudyN

Re: Field vs show Labrador

Post by JudyN »

This may seem an obvious question, but do you know what her parents looked like?

If you wanted to post some pics of her, I'm sure we'd all be happy to give our expert opinions - such as 'gosh she's cute', 'adorable', etc. Someone may even be able to tell you what variety she is!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Vicki.C87

Post by Vicki.C87 »

Her Mum was very stocky and had short hair.

I would include an image of Rogue but have no idea as to how to do it!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I've just nicked this from another post because I find it easier to do than explain:
one of the ways we post pictures here on the forum is by clicking the "Img" button, then go to the photo hosting site we have an account with such as Photobucket, then copy the "Direct Link" link, then pasting it between where it would say "", and click "Submit" in which you'll see your picture there. :D

OR,

You could scroll down under where it shows the "Save", "Preview", and "Submit" buttons to where it says "Options" and "Upload attachment" on the two tabs there and upload your picture(s). However, with this option, sometimes the other members can't see your picture(s), so it is best to use the first option, where you copy the direct link of your pictures and paste the direct link between "" that way everyone can see your pictures. :D
Hope that helps :D
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

Yes would love pictures. I use photobucket and copy andd paste the IMG code.

A field/working lab is generally leaner with long legs and tons on energy. A show breed is as far as i know what is referred to as the breed standard, and stocky, broad square head and shorter legs. Please note stocky doesnt mean overweight :)

Our lab, Pepper, is a working pedigree lab. See pictures in link below to compare. Poor breeders do mix the different strands which can make it hard to identify and also effect hip scores, etc.

Im no expert tho, i am new to the lab world myself and im sure experts will be along
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
Vicki.C87

Post by Vicki.C87 »

Ahhh Rogue's Mum had a very square 'blocky' head. She was also very stocky but as you say that is different to overweight. I didn't see her Dad but I do have his papers. Time will tell I suppose!

In the meantime here are some pictures.... if I have managed to use photobucket right!

rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!! She's adorable :D what a cutie! Look at those chunky paws! Your making me broody for another one hehe. She's too young for me to tell she does have a nice broad head tho so maybe show? She's just gorgeous thats all i can say :D
Last edited by rachel540 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
Vicki.C87

Post by Vicki.C87 »

Thanks :D she has got chunky paws...and lots of loose skin waiting to be grown into!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

What a pretty girl! A friend of mine has a 6-month-old working black lab and he is more 'leggy' than show labs - I couldn't say what yours is going to grow into, but she's 100% gorgeous!
bendog

Post by bendog »

She is adorable! I wasn't much of a fan of labs (looks wise) until recently but they've really grown on me.

These are field labs (according to google!)

And show lab

You could look up the breeders suffix if they have one and find out which type they breed?
Vicki.C87

Post by Vicki.C87 »

Time will tell I suppose. At the moment she looks quite gangly but I think that is puppy growing...out then up then back out haha!
Labsrule

Post by Labsrule »

Hello, your puppy is beautiful. Do you have her pedigree papers? If so you should be able to work out if she is show bred or working or even a mixture of both. Show ancestors will have suffixes such as SH or CH and working ones will have a few FT CHs'.

I have one of each, both black. Good luck with your puppy, they grow so fast.
easilyconfused

Post by easilyconfused »

I breed working/field labs and have seen my fair share of lab puppies. She looks field to me.
Vicki.C87

Post by Vicki.C87 »

The more she grows the more I would say field too! :D