Dissapointed in 4th US season

Discussion of Victoria's TV show, It's Me or the Dog.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Wilkie

Re: Dissapointed in 4th US season

Post by Wilkie »

There are no bad dogs, only bad teachers.

I think I have heard Victoria say in a past episode that she trains the people and not just the dogs because that's usually what the root cause is. Humans have a horrible habit of blaming everyone else for their problems/behaviors and not themselves. In the case of this show, I keep seeing people blame their dogs for their marital issues and family issues. I feel sorry for the animals that have to put up with poorly trained humans. No wonder the dogs behave the way they are, they seen the humans living chaotically.
Viclover

Post by Viclover »

We can't tell you how much we hate the new format. You have taken a simple, quirky and fun British show and turned it into a low rent American reality show. Shame on you. As promoting the lowest common denominator in human kind is popular at the moment, we didn't need to see this from Victoria. Please go back the the UK and produce the old version so that we can feel like we have been taken far away from this country and the hell hole people that surround us here. My word, if the people of the UK only see "Jersey Shore" wannabes and think this is America, then God help us. The show as it is now makes us sad and frustrated, and we will not put ourselves through it again. Vic, fire your production company and your management and start over again.
Last edited by Viclover on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Whatever happened to what used to be a cute and educational show? The UK version is a half hour and still has time for a return visit to see how the family has managed. This season it seems as though Victoria has turned into a marriage counselor. There's too much drama with Mom spoiling the dogs and Dads threatening to get rid of the dogs and lazy kids who sit around on their asses. Of course we have to have a little kitkat bReak somewhere in there. As far as product placement goes, that's just dumb. I don't want to see anymore talking heads moaning about what a bad marriage they have and how Victoria is an evil task master, I want to see the show we used to have. Please.
witransplant

Post by witransplant »

i too am disappointed in this season - VS is a dog trainer, not a marriage counselor - of course, the dynamic of the family affects a dog's actions, so there has to be some recognition of the family's problems, but it seems there is way more marriage counseling than dog training going on - i was really flabergasted in the last epidsode with the couple who have been together for 8 mos & the guy was packing up & moving out when victoria showed up, and a little later into the show, victoria said to the camera (this is not a direct quote, i don't remember the exact words) that if she couldn't get this couple together again, there was no point in trying to train the dogs - WHAT ? i couldn't believe she would say that - this couple did not act like newlyweds at all, which people who have been together 8 mos, should still be (even if they are not married) so i would be very surprised to learn that they stayed together very much longer - but to not train the dogs, is so unfair to the dogs - at least work with the woman on dog training, & if the guy leaves, oh well ! and i agree that people shouldn't use a show like this as their only advice on dog training, but the reality is that a lot of people DO use a tv show like this to learn how to train their dogs, because it's the easiest thing to do - so the more they show, the better off all those dogs will be
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Now that I've taken the time to read through all the posts on this topic, I want to add that my reason for posting my complaints is not to criticize Victoria, but with hopes that if enough people criticize the format of the show as it currently stands, maybe the producers will give us less drama and moaning and more training. Besides, I just don't buy it. I'm convinced that the producers encourage the participants to be as hopeless as possible. "You want to be on TV? Then play the part." Everyone seems to have learned how to act from reality TV. And don't forget those kitkat breaks.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

integrating product placement and promotion used to be how commercials were done. The writers would integrate the product into the story, the actors would pitch the product. advertising pays for the cost of producing the show. It's how the show earns it's money. No commercials, no show.

Soooo, for all we know, Victoria really likes Kit Kats and has just started making a tradition of it with the people she helps. though I suspect it's more along the lines of a subtle commercial. Either way, its all good. I do realize the vast, vast majority of people aren't used to seeing commercials done this way anymore, but it really did used to be quit common. there didn't used to be commercial breaks as we know them today.
Erica

Post by Erica »

I'm actually quite happy about the KitKat breaks - they're shorter and MUCH less obnoxious than normal commercials, and knowing that KitKat actively supports VS means I feel a lot better about buying them. ;) They're my favorite.

I'm pretty behind - I think two or three episodes - because I can't watch them when Opal's around. Whenever a dog starts running (which is fairly often), she rushes up to the TV, which is low enough that she could jump at it...:/ So I have to wait for when someone else is walking her (Saturdays and Sundays) to catch up!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I got to say, the thing that has impressed me the most in this season is the guys....they stepped up.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

This is why I haven't been able to catch up...

Definitely agree with jacksdad! Chet in Saving Snooki was my favorite! At the end he was baby-talking with Snook and loving on her and saying "Do you wanna stay with Mommy? No, you wanna stay with Daddy!" and giving kisses. :D
--dontpugme
sherilynf

Post by sherilynf »

I too am extremely disappointed in the 4th season. I've been a viewer and fan of Victoria's but I'm looking for real dog training tips not a bunch of people fighting amongst themselves where the dogs needed not much more than some exercise and/or some mental stimulation. I need to tune in each week, each season to see a new training tip and be able to come away with something valuable - not watch a group of people decide it's a good idea to walk their dogs.
bthompson

Post by bthompson »

Ok so I have only watched one show this season. I have my dvr to record all episodes. When one is coming up soon, the day before, it is suddenly replaced by Bad Dog! On animal planet. It's really starting to irritate me. Guess I will have to find it online. :x
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

I buy all of the episodes on DVD or iTunes because I can never make it to the TV in time.
--dontpugme