I need something uplifting

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

I need something uplifting

Post by JudyN »

...and I'm not talking about undergarments :lol:

After Jasper's backward step in rabbit skin retrieving this morning (see 'What are your dogs doing today?' thread), we had another 'incident' this afternoon - while on lead walking to the park he saw a cat trotting away from us, some way off. He lunged at it, growling and barking, and almost pulling me over a few times, then after I turned and tried to go in the opposite direction he flung himself at me instead. As he was muzzled there was no damage apart from a scratch on my arm from his claws, but it's still depressing to know that my beloved dog, who is as devoted to me as I am to him, is still capable of doing me a hell of a lot of damage despite raising him positively, developing a great bond, and working on his issues. If it wasn't for the invention of muzzles, he wouldn't still be alive now, and I'd have lots of scars :(

When I posted about cat-triggered redirected aggression, Emmabeth confirmed that there was little I could do apart from avoidance, management, and keeping my fingers crossed that he mellows with age. Next time, though, I am very tempted to try the 'OI! Cut that out you little ratbag!' approach.

So go on, tell me something positive :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
bendog

Re: I need something uplifting

Post by bendog »

It's not recommended and I don't know if it would work with jasper but a firm "ah" does stop Ben in his tracks. I try to see it as a reminder more than a telling off. And it's not like I'm yelling at him or hurting him.

Have a glass of wine and some choccies and tell jasper No more nice bum scratches until he stops being a git.

Dogs are tough. I feel like rehoming the lot of mine sometimes, even Bendog.
bendog

Post by bendog »

Show him this is what you are aiming for
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

JudyN wrote:...and I'm not talking about undergarments :lol:
spoil sport, killjoy :evil: now there is nothing I can contribute to this thread :twisted: :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

jacksdad wrote:
JudyN wrote:...and I'm not talking about undergarments :lol:
spoil sport, killjoy :evil: now there is nothing I can contribute to this thread :twisted: :lol:
Oh well if you really want to tell us about your undergarments you can, Jacksdad..... :shock: :lol:

Thanks, Bendog - I think he was beyond my usual 'ah!' so I may have to up the volume a bit :? Here's hoping we have a cat-free, rabbit-free day today :lol:
minkee

Post by minkee »

Did you have a think about going to that vet that Nettle recommended? It seems like it would be worth it! Perhaps there IS something that gives him the grumps that could be solved... or maybe that's wishful thinking :D I don't want that to sound insulting! because I know you go way above and beyond to get things just right with him, but Jasper does seem like something of a puzzle waiting to be solved.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

minkee wrote:Did you have a think about going to that vet that Nettle recommended?
I'm still undecided - after two behaviourists and a lurcher training expert, full veterinary check-ups and removing all the rubbish from his diet, there comes a point where it's less stressful to accept and live with the dog you have. Plus his aggressive moments are rare and predicatable in that the same triggers tend to give the same reactions.

That's not to say I won't, though. Just letting the idea fester for the time being...
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Hi Judy, I haven't been on for a while and just came on to find your post. My heart goes out to you. You know I have been in similar situations with my boy in the past, and I have to live with the fact that he still has it in him to attack if he misunderstands something. It is so hard when you do everything you can. But Sometimes we have to accept that dogs are dogs - and just like some people find life hard, some dogs find it hard too. Having gone from doing loads with Horus to actually doing very little these days, I have decided that it is better just to keep him happy, so he can cope with the stress that he needs to on the odd occasion. Not much help to you, but Horus is also a lot older I think, and in the last year or so he has really chilled out - so you might well find given time that Jasper settles too. Horus is now nearly 8 I think. Remember it is nothing you have or haven't done, but sometimes there has to be a limit. Having said that, I would love to be proved wrong!!

In terms of protecting yourself, is it possible to take hold of his collar when he lunges to keep more control over his front end? Not sure if it would work for you,but when H zones then the only thing I can do is take him by the collar firmly - he has a wide lurcher collar so it doesn't hurt him (certainly not any more than hanging off the end of a lead would) and try and still him (often in a down because that is his position of safety) until he zones out again, then we can start communicating and move on.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

HM, so much of your post resonates with me, so thank you! This is the dilemma - knowing when to stop looking for the missing bit of the jigsaw puzzle, knowing when and how to push the training.... My feeling is that training has its limits with him and keeping everything about our relationship positive is prime. Even if I knew he was never going to change I could live with it, and put up with the occasional 'moment'.

I think because of our relative size and strength, I wouldn't be able to hold his collar securely enough, and as he's slightly collar-shy he'd get more upset. Holding the lead very short can help, but often it's a case of turning away, standing my ground, and waiting for him to blow himself out. I did say (loudly!) 'OFF!!' and he did calm down in well under a minute (not sure how much the 'OFF!!' helped). Thinking about it, for him it might be better if I'm not holding him really firmly because then he's getting control of himself, rather than me controlling him, which might means he'd start up again once I give him some slack again :?
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

I would suggest assuming that this is him, and accept it, for a good six months. don't think about it, don't battle with it, just accept. You might just find things change anyway, and if they don't you haven't lost anything. Big hugs xxxxxx