Rent-a-Dog?!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Mollysmom

Rent-a-Dog?!

Post by Mollysmom »

http://www.newsweek.com/id/149438?GT1=43002

I read this article a moment ago, and while fundamentally I like the Idea that the owner of this company is encouraging people who love dogs to "rent" rather than buy when the person is in a situation not conducive to proper pet ownership...
while at the very same time I have that yucky feeling deep in my soul that wonders what the Devil has humankind come to?! where if you want something but not the responsibility its possible to just "rent" it?! It's a dog, another living thing! Not a Washing Machine!

Discuss your thoughts, As this company has spread from the US to the UK I think that all of us may have some feelings on the matter.
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

I have to say that I agree with you.

My question is this: why have a business for this when there are already so many homeless dogs that can be helped through fostering? I really like the idea of seeing if a dog is right for you, but the best way to go is to help a shelter dog in serious need of a little love! And the only thing you'd pay is time...

Kind of makes me want to promote our foster program even more :wink:
griffin

Post by griffin »

Rent a dog? Are you serious? Well, obviously you are. My biggest concern is what people will do to the dogs? Some people think dominating them is the proper way, A smack here, screaming there, locking them way way over there.... While others know the proper way to care for a dog.

These poor dogs are going to be confused, bites, nips, scratches, yes, will happen and guess who pays for it? The poor dogs! This is outrageous, I cannot believe my government is allowing this to happen! :twisted:

But there is good news, most right minded people are taking steps to BAN this nutcase...

In April the British Parliament put forth a motion to prohibit pet rentals. Labor MP Drew David, who proposed the measure, said that the pet-rental business "encourages irresponsible attitudes to dog ownership." In June, after hearing that FlexPetz planned to open a location in Boston, the Boston City Council passed an ordinance prohibiting dog rentals in the city. And on July 29, the Massachusetts Senate passed a bill that would prevent companies like FlexPetz from setting up shop anywhere in the state.

In response to inquiries from NEWSWEEK about the effect the legislation will have on FlexPetz growth, CEO and founder Cervantes said that as a result of the recent legislation, she has decided to "shelve" operations in the US and London, and that each pet in all FlexPetz locations will be offered to a renter for adoption. Haddix said that the two remaining dogs at his NY location are slated for adoption in the coming weeks.
Apparently she was setting up shop behind closed doors...
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

I think that for the most part the dogs were being treated fine, but it smells highly of doggy prostitution to me! lol!

The "clients" henceforth referred to as John... pay a monthly Fee, plus additional monies for Doggy time.
They are carefully screened and put through an orientation.

It seems as if they are just running a great big kennel and letting people just come and take the pups for walksies!

Come on now...
I think, even if you don't have time to own or even foster a Dog... you can always just volunteer at your local shelter or Humane Society. They encourage volunteers to take the dogs for walks and to play outdoors with them in an effort to keep otherwise kenneled dogs socialized and exercised.

I don't know, I just still have really mixed feelings. Most of them being "eww" and a few saying "well if they weren't in it for the money..."
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It's appalling. Dogs need consistency. As griffin said, there will be so many different takes on "behaviour" out there, the dog won't know which way is up.

Then there will be the people who treat the dog like a therapist - lean on it for emotional support, tell it all their troubles, treat it like a baby, demand "love" from it.........
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

yep sorry but I HATE this idea :twisted: You would do this to a child so why do it to a dog?

It never ceases to amaze me what people will do for money.
Fab_lab

Post by Fab_lab »

Ocelot0411 wrote:yep sorry but I HATE this idea :twisted: You would do this to a child so why do it to a dog?

It never ceases to amaze me what people will do for money.
here here :evil:
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

WTF

I'm quite honestly appalled.
If you havent got time for a dog in your life, then tough, go help out at a shelter or something, take the old lady next doors dog or a walk. But taking a dog for a weekend or a few days is disgarceful.
Theyre living things not a dvd you can take back to blockbuster, when youve finished watching it.
"My lifestyle is not really conducive to taking care of a dog," says FlexPetz member Dr. Farng-Yang Foo, a Manhattan neurologist who works 12-hour days and lives in a pet-free building. Since last October, Foo has been paying to spend time with Sandman, a Pomeranian-American Eskimo mix that he rents from FlexPetz about once a month. The membership costs him $99.95 a month plus $45 per day for "doggy time."
"

Why is he only does this once a month. Has he not got time any other time of the month? Also he says he lives in pet free accomodation, so where does he take the dog then?

Its all a bit weird for me.
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

The story brings up another concerning bit of information...

a neurologist works 12 hr days?! :shock: good heavens! You shouldn't be able to drive a car with full concentration after that shift, let alone poke around someones brain!

:lol:

but seriously, they also mention the ratio of pets to clients is 1:5... so little fifi or fido is being passed around to 5 different people, who probably just use her/him to pick up dates... It really is pretty disgusting.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I used to work 12 hour shifts which often were extended to 16.

It's perfectly possible to drive responsibly after that. :wink:
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

Nettle wrote:I used to work 12 hour shifts which often were extended to 16.

It's perfectly possible to drive responsibly after that. :wink:
Maniac!

(lol!) I still wouldn't want you poking around my brain either!
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

There was a story about this rent-a-dog program recently. I remember this one case where there was a husky mix where she was being rented between 2 different families. The families were neighboring. I can't remember how it quite work but the article said the renters didn't like the name the other chose out so when the dog was at one house she would be called something totally different then the other house. So the dog had 2 names and 2 different families and 2 different homes. I felt so bad for that dog knowing she was confused more then anything. I don't like this idea at all and I know that there is a couple different rent-a-pet programs going on here in the States.

To me I would say if you want to try out a dog or any pet to see if he or she is apporpriate for your home you should foster or ask the shelter if you can possibly take the dog home for a day or two to see how the dog gets along in your home. That's just my opinion though.
Belgian: 6 year old English Chocolate Labrador Retriever.
"The more boys I meet, the more I love my dog"-Carrie Underwood
Suzyquzie

Post by Suzyquzie »

I actually thought that this is an idea that could work for our local humane society. 1. it would help raise always needed funds 2. for many people it would be an opportunity to "test drive" a dog before they make a real commitment see if it is something they are ready for 3. it could give shelter dogs a chance to get out and about better socialized and help stave off shelter depression which makes a dog less adoptable

I'm not sure it would work it's just an idea I had when I saw a story on TV about this