Never Mind the Olympics

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Never Mind the Olympics

Post by Nettle »

We have the Queen's Diamond Jubilee :D :D :D Sixty years of Her Maj ("Missy Quin" in pidgin) being celebrated over the next 3 days. Street parties, bunting and flags, people hey-nonny-no-ing on village greens and all that slightly selfconscious British stuff that we don't normally do. Boats and barges up the Thames, fly-pasts with lots of airyplanes, bands playing............

I won't be joining in, but it's so good to have something like this to celebrate once in a while.

And we had the Derby today - wow what a race! I watched it with my friend on her TV as we don't have one.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Re: Never Mind the Olympics

Post by Suzette »

Sounds like an amazing celebration going on in your neck of the woods Nettle! 60 years is certainly worth celebrating in style and with a lot of raised glasses! :D :wink:
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Erica

Post by Erica »

They had a feature on that on the TV yesterday - it looked like lots of fun! They said there was a dog dress-up competition...hehe. :)

There's nothing much going on on this side of the pond, so it's great to hear about interesting things.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

I'm not really into the Monarchy, so I won't be celebrating but the fact that it is bringing people together I think is nice :D

I am amused, however, by the fact that as is befitting of this country it is absolutely p!ssing it down :lol:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Not raining in Scotland!! There's a change :lol:
jilldiane

Post by jilldiane »

Fair play the her Queenship who seems from what I`ve seen, stood on her 86yr old feet all day on a boat, on a damp cold day, waving and smiling :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'm just back from a very traditional Jubilee garden party :D All the guests took some food and wore something red, white and blue, there was a coconut shy and other garden games for the younger ones (in age or mentality), gazebos to shelter from the traditonal British weather, and a garden shed converted to a bar with a man dressed in cricket whites serving. And Pimms by the jugful Image Oh, and an 8-week-old soft coated wheaten terrier puppy called Dave. I am smitten Image

OH is still over there eating chicken curry now but my back was on the verge of giving up and my energy levels were heading rapidly south. DS2 had been dogsitting for Mr Clingy all afternoon - he'd been a bit whingy at times and spent a lot of time looking out of the window but wasn't too bad. He was certainly glad to see me come home though, and was very interested in the smell of Dave on my fleece! I should think about taking him for a walk, but he's completely crashed out now he can relax :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sounds just the ticket, JudyN :D We don't let a drop of rain (small deluge, hurricane) put us off! :D

However I am NOT going riding tomorrow - I think the bunting, balloons, flapping tablecloths, flags and general jollity will NOT impress the ex-racehorse I normally ride twice a week :shock: and I'm too old and decrepit to be hanging off the side at 30mph :lol:

jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

JudyN wrote: All the guests took some food and wore something red, white and blue ......
July 4th is still a month away...but we appreciate the support anyway :mrgreen: :twisted: :lol:
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

:lol: @ Jacksdad...

Have been walking certain of our dogs in Very Quiet Places this weekend as some will not appreciate the merry celebrations.. and then it rained a lot and none of my dogs appreciate that at all!

I'm with Nettle, its nice to see it but I can't quite bring myself to take part *isagrumpyoldwomanintraining*
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

jacksdad wrote:JudyN wrote:
All the guests took some food and wore something red, white and blue ......

July 4th is still a month away...but we appreciate the support anyway
Image If I'm not mistaken, I think it is this weekend in Baltimore, Maryland, that they are celebrating "Star-Spangled Sailbration" http://www.starspangled200.com/ in observation of the American anthem, "Star-Spangled Banner", written by Francis Scott Key, on the date he watched the battle between American and British forces at Fort McHenry during the conclusion of what we Americans call the War of 1812 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star-Spangled_Banner).

Holy Cow, it's hard to believe nearly half the year is over! In two months, London is going to be busy again!Image
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

If you Colonial chaps have any tea to spare, we'd be obliged :wink:

wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

They say Boston Harbor still tastes like tea, but I wouldn't count on it! :lol:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown