Considerations for dog agility?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dawnflight1984

Considerations for dog agility?

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

I'm really looking forward to more jumping and agility with my Oreo, especially since I think it will really stimulate her and wear her extra energy off properly. However, I am extremely concerned about injuries and any other unforeseen problems, especially if they are going to make her latter years difficult and painful due to an over active adulthood. What should I be looking out for and what can I do to ensure I don't plunge Oreo and myself into this exciting and vigorous sport too blindly and aggressively?
Horace's Mum

Re: Considerations for dog agility?

Post by Horace's Mum »

Don't rush into going faster/tighter/higher until she is really ready and knows exactly what she is doing. Keep her as fit as you can with lots of walks especially over rough ground, and keep her weight down to reduce any strain. When training keep exercises short with breaks in between, and vary it frequently, so you aren't always doing the same moves. Try and keep a good left-right balance, so she doesn't develop a preference for one side more than the other in turning etc.

Keep it fun! TBH, if you take the above into account agility can often really help into old age, there are many many golden oldies still doing agility because it keeps them supple and fit. My friend's dogs used to have the winter off until she realised that the one with hip dysplasia always went lame by the end of the winter due to losing the muscle, so now they are all kept ticking over all year round. Enjoy :D