My little pity party.

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sarah83

My little pity party.

Post by Sarah83 »

I'm feeling all sorry for myself today :cry: Last night on Spencers walk I managed to stand on a loose rock which rolled and took my ankle with it. Ankles are NOT meant to bend that way and I came to to find myself on the floor with Spen licking my face. My phone took that moment to have an error and not allow me to either make or receive calls. And of course there was nobody around. Faced with the choice of walk on an ankle that was screaming at me while sitting on the ground or spending the night in the woods I opted to attempt to walk home. It was only about half a mile, not too far right? It took me over an hour to shuffle/hop my way out of the woods. I had to buzz at the door so Calvin could come get Spencer and take him in then come back to carry me up the stairs. My ankle is about 3 times the size it should be now but doesn't appear to be broken. If no better in a couple of days it will be a trip to A&E with it. Spencer was absolutely fantastic. He stayed with me when he could have run off and he was good as gold all the way home, just kept a slight tension on the leash and kept looking back at me as if to check I was still there.

And another reason I'm throwing myself a pity party is the freaking bug bites. I'm having quite severe localised reactions to them, I get bitten and within a couple of hours an area the size of my fist has swollen up around the bite. Right now I could play the elephant man without any need for make up. Soonest I can get in at the docs? 18th of June :evil: Even better, I can't take any of the over the counter antihistamines as they trigger seizures. I'm seriously tempted to hobble down to the med centre on Tuesday (bank holiday tomorrow, they're shut) and show my face, neck and hands at reception and demand to be seen ASAP. Keeping a close eye on them and if they get any worse hubby will be taking me to hospital.

So yeah, I'm feeling all miserable and sore and itchy today and am throwing myself a pity party with cakes and jelly and ice cream and stuff like that. Happy to share the goodies if anyone would like to join me. I have alcohol too but it doesn't tend to go well with a twisted ankle so I'm not drinking lol.
Erica

Re: My little pity party.

Post by Erica »

Oh no...:( Sounds like Spencer did great, though...a silver lining to a big bad cloud. Hope you feel better soon...enjoy your yummies!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Oh poor you )))))))))HUG((((((((((((( careful with that ankle as I've broken each one twice and it IS possible (though inadvisable) to walk on a busted ankle.

Take some arnica internally and lavender oil externally, and eat some chocolate.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Sarah83 wrote:I have alcohol too but it doesn't tend to go well with a twisted ankle so I'm not drinking lol.
Sez who? :shock: :wink: Just as long as you get OH to help out when you need to move from the sofa.

I'd be tempted to go down to A&E sooner rather than later to be on the safe side, and try to get something for the midge bites at the same time. Maybe you could mention that you're feeling breathless and the words 'anaphylactic shock'....

Are you doing the RICE procedure (rest, ice, compression & elevation)? I recommend that you put the ice cream on your ankle and bites, give the jelly to Spencer for being such a good boy, and then get some pain relief inside you Image
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
bendog

Post by bendog »

Ouch! Hooray for spencer tho. I'm inclined to agree with judy, alcohol will do wonders for pain relief :)

Second for the arnica, and ice, and i like tea tree cream for bites.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Hugs to you Sarah! You've really been through the wringer! I hope you're soon on the mend. And kudo's to Spencer - what a good boy!!

I have to agree with the others - there isn't too much that can't be helped by a little wine and a lot of chocolate! :lol:
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Elephant man with swollen ankle, on the sofa, gobbling ice-cream and jello!! :lol: :lol: great visual..
Hey, this all sounds pretty bad! Which means its likely to start getting better soon!
Chin up! Tomorrow is another day! But today - enjoy all the ice-cream you can get your hands on !! :lol:

And Good Boy Spencer!
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Oh no, get the ice on it and the beer/wine/g&t/beverage of choice on ice and rest :D

Also Spen should get something for being such a trooper and looking after his mum :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

That party would be a lot more fun without the reasons for the pity. :( Horray for Spencer for taking it easy on you. Good of OH to help you out too! I hope your ankle and the bug bites feel better soon!
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

ouch...lots of ice, foot elevated. get an elastic "ace" bandage to wrap it. and play it up for sympathy from the hubby :twisted: ....boy he is going to kill me if we ever meet :lol:

Sorry to hear you hurt your ankle. do you wear high top, light weight hiking boots when your out. even something like this http://www.rei.com/product/737707/vasqu ... boots-mens I wear "boots" like this all the time, though I tend to go much cheaper than this example. I can't tell you how many times they have saved my ankles.
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Hope you're feeling a little better today!

Not sure if you can get this in Germany but I got lots of bites last summer and got a cooling spray over the counter which eased them a little.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Oh poor you Sarah :( I did almost the same thing in New York when I was there a month ago...trapsed up a little hill in Central Park to have a pic taken with a bronze statue of a Husky, came down the hill fine then ankl;e just somehow went over on itself....over fell I right in front of a group of tourists!! Its still not right now either....and mine wasnt as bad as yours sounded...so I think you should get yourself to docs? And ice and elevate it!
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Ouch!! I'm a bit behind the times, but agree with all the advice for ice - 10mins every half hour, don't leave it on longer or you may start to cause further damage. While you're there, rub an ice cube over each bite, or put cold on them for several minutes (sometimes works better if you can put dry cold on them rather than wet, wet makes them itchy) whenever they itch - I have severe reactions to insect bites and am immune to most antihistamines so ice is the best remedy in my book!
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Thanks all, feeling a lot better today. My ankle's improved a hell of a lot, still a bit swollen and quite an impressive colour but nowhere near as sore. The bite on my jaw has gone down, I no longer look like I have the mumps lol. Still going to head to the doctors as it's happening every time I'm bitten, currently my left ear is double the size it usually is :roll:

Will try the ice on the bites until I can see the doc. If I can't take antihistamines I'm gonna have to find something! Nettle, lavender oil carries a warning to only use on doctors advice if you have epilepsy :shock: I had a look at it today as they sell it in the local shop. Another thing I shall speak to the doc about and find out whether it's safe.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Sarah, take care of that and get well. Here's a big hug for you! Image
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown