AGGRESSION TOWARD OTHER DOGS.....

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kongnlucy

AGGRESSION TOWARD OTHER DOGS.....

Post by Kongnlucy »

HELLO NEW TO FORUMS!!! I RECENTLY GOT A YEAR LOD FEMALE AMERICAN STAFF FROM A LOCALE SHELTER. I HAVE ABOUT 5 OR SO YEARS TRAINING DOGS, SO I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH HER EVERYDAY. SHE DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO WALK PROPERLY ON A LEACH, DIDN'T KNOW ANY SIT, STAY,DOWN COMMANDS AND WHEN A DOG WOULD COME UP TO HER SHE WOULD GET VERY TENSE AND STAP AT THEM. SOME DOGS I COULDN'T EVEN WALK HER UP TO THEM BECAUSE SHE WOULD GET VERY VERY EXCITED AND NOT EVEN PAU ANY ATTENTION TO WHAT I WAS SAYING.

NOW AFTER ABOUT A MONTH AND A HALF SHE KNOWS ALL HER COMMANDS AND SHE LET'S DOGS COME UP TO HER AND VICE VERSA. NOW FOR THE PROBLEM.... I TAKE HER(HER NAME IS LUCY) AND HER BUDDY MY OTHER DOG, KONG(I GOT THEM BOTH FROM THE SAME SHELTER) TO A LOCAL DOG PARK. NOW KONG I GOT ABOUT A MONTH BEFORE LUCY AND HE PLAYS WITH OTHER DOGS VERY WELL(HE'S A AMERICAN BULLDOG/PITBULL MIX..VERY VERY BIG GUY). AT THIS DOG PARK THERE IS A GATE IN BETWEEN THAT I KEEP MY DOGS ON ONE SIDE AND THE OTHERS ON THE OTHER SIDE. WHEN SHE GETS THERE SHE BOLTS TO THE FENCE TO SEE IF THERE ARE ANY DOGS ON THE OTHER SIDE. IF ONE APPROUCHES SHE MIGHT SNIFF THEM AND THEN HER MANNERISM'S CHANGE AND SHE ATTACKS THEM THROUGH THE FENCE. I VOCALLY STOP HER FROM DOING THIS. I WANT HER TO KNOW THAT WHAT SHE IS DOING IS NOT RIGHT. BUT SHE DOESN'T LISTEN TO ME COMPLETELY. SHE WILL STOP FOR THE MOMENT AND RUN OFF AND THEN SHE WILL COME BACK AND 60% OF THE TIME DO IT AGAIN.

I WOULD LOVE FOR HER TO GET TO THE POINT THAT I CAN TRUST HER ENOUGH TO NOT DO THAT ANYMORE WITH THE CORRECT TRAINING. AND IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE HER START TO PLAY WITH OTHER DOGS ON A ONE TO ONE BASES. I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HER HISTORY. SHE HAS A VERY NOTICABLE SCAR VERY VERY CLOSE TO HER RIGHT EYE, SO I DON'T KNOW IF SHE WAS USED FOR FIGHTING OR WHAT!!!!

I'VE BEEN TRYING TO INTRODUCE HER TO A DOG A DAY ONLY ON THE LEASH AND SHE'S MUCH BETTER THAN SHE WAS WHEN I GOT HER. I THOUGHT ABOUT GETTING A MUZZLE FOR HER AND INTRODUCING A NEW DOG TO HER AT THE DOG PARK????

WELL I JUST NEED SOME GREAT ADVICE FOR HER BECAUSE SHE IS VERY FRIENDLY WITH PEOPLE AND WITH MY OTHER DOG KONG. IT'S ONE DAY AT A TIME TOO I GUESS.

THANKS AHEAD OF TIME!!!! :oops: :wink:
simpleprincess

Post by simpleprincess »

Hun its really hard to read all that in caps. it sounds like your shouting and its rude, can you go over it again and type with lower cases? Then you might find people will be more willing to give you advice!.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I'VE BEEN TRYING TO INTRODUCE HER TO A DOG A DAY ONLY ON THE LEASH AND SHE'S MUCH BETTER THAN SHE WAS WHEN I GOT HER. I THOUGHT ABOUT GETTING A MUZZLE FOR HER AND INTRODUCING A NEW DOG TO HER AT THE DOG PARK????
You need to keep her at a distance from other dogs were she feels she doesn't have to react to tell them to go away. She needs to see other dogs but at a distance. You will find that this distance will get smaller as time goes on until one day she will feel confident enough to go up to another dog without being frightened.

By muzzling her and putting her with other dogs, will make the fear a lot worse, she can't defend herself.

Think of it this way, I am terrifed of snakes and would probably scream and run but if I was put in a a room full of snakes and couldn't scream or run, I would go into a panic attack and probably colapse. Although your dog's reaction is different, the fear isn't.

You are doing a good job with your dog, watch her body language and listen to it then you will eventually find that you have a very sociable dog eventually but it will take some time and lots of patience.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Kongnlucy

Thank you...

Post by Kongnlucy »

Just a simple thank you to the person not afraid of the capitol letters.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

To be fair, it is very difficult to read so much text when it is all capital letters, I transfer it into word and enlarge it so I can read it easier. Unfortunately this is a problem with old age, it would be nice to be young again. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I am supposedly young (dont feel it, but so I am told...)... I still really struggle to read a post all in upper case. It isnt a matter of being 'afraid' of capital letters, or being too old or weak of the eyes to read them... its a case of manners and etiquette.

Anyway, on to your problem.

Lucy doesnt and cannot understand that her behaviour is bad, to her its not, its a survival strategy. Using Matties analogy of fear of snakes, if someone shous on you and says no when you react fearfully to snakes - is it going to improve your relationship with snakes?

No, its not.

Its not that she doesnt want to listen (although you could perhaps improve on the reasons why she should listen, what is in it for her exactly? treats, a game, fuss?), its that in a state of fear, she can't listen.

As Mattie says, stop far enough away from other dogs (using a long long leash if needs be) that she doesnt feel the need to dash over and tell them to get lost, and reward her well for being near them. Gradually that distance will narrow and she will feel more confident around them.

Quite possibly she wants to go and play but doesnt really know how, its very common. The dog gets excited, rushes over to play and then eeeeek! Don't know what to do.... oh no very scary... panic, lash out, tell other dogs to get lost!