Hi From Scotland !

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Miles

Hi From Scotland !

Post by Miles »

Hi :D , My name is Clare, I live near Glasgow,Scotland and I am a busy Mum and also have a ten month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel dog called Miles!

I am a massive fan of Victoria's training method and watch her show regularly :P I also made sure I bought the book before we brought Miles home as He is my first dog! It was a massive help and is never far from reach!!
I haven't come up against any major problems with Miles.....YET! :? But it would be great to learn from all the other dog owner/lovers out there :D

He does pull on the lead when we are out walking, which is something I'm hoping to tackle but my main issue just now is the question of neutering.
I read in Victoria's booked that she believes you should have your dog neutered and I completely trust her judgment, but have read that neutering too early can have adverse health effects, although There doesn't seem to have been enough studies done to back this up ?
What is the best age to have this done!!!! :?
bendog

Re: Hi From Scotland !

Post by bendog »

The best age to neuter if you are going to, is when the dog is fully mature. For many breeds this is 2 years old, for large breeds it may be 3 or 4 years old!

That gives you plenty of time to do your research and decide if you want to neuter or not. Personally speaking, if you are not letting your dog roam loose and keep him under control then he shouldn't get chance to get amorous with any female dogs anyway, so unwanted litters isn't a major consideration in my opinion.

Theres a good thread on training a dog to walk nicely on lead in the articles section

Welcome :)
Miles

Post by Miles »

Hi :) Thanks for the advice and I liked the fact you said IF you decide to neuter!
Feel that everytime I go to the vet they push for me to get him neutered and a lot of people seem to think it's ' just what you do ' but I always like to get a bit more info before I decide to do anything! Personally I don't see a great need to have him neutered, tampering with nature a bit too much !

I'll check out that thread about the walking...thanks again :D
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hi Clare and welcome to the forum! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Hi and welcome to the forum! :D

Don't worry about being confused by all the info on neutering. There are many people on here with many different opinions on it, so you won't feel pressured into conforming to anything.

My dog wasn't neutered until he was 5ish.
--dontpugme
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

Welcome aboard! :D