Training schools

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dominika

Training schools

Post by Dominika »

It must have been discussed before but can't find any topics.

What training courses have you guys attented?

I have been recommended The Cambridge Institute or Animal Care College.

Yesterday though I spoke to someone who said the Cambridge Institute isn't very well recognized. That's the one I was going to go with.

There is another place which I can't remember the name of that starts their courses twice a year, that lady I spoke to is going to send me their details so I can check it out.

Also Think Dog is supposed to be good?

Also I have no valid experience so have to start from scratch.

I appreciate your thoughts! Will help me loads to decide.
Thanks
jacksdad

Re: Training schools

Post by jacksdad »

are you looking to become a trainer? Or just a place to take your dog to learn to teach your dog basic skills?
Dominika

Post by Dominika »

I'm looking to become a trainer
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

what country are you in?

I know of two here in the US that I am comfortable pointing people to based on the reputation of the persons running it.

One you have to show up in person in Marin California. The other is a distance learning format so where you live isn't an issue. http://www.academyfordogtrainers.com/ is the distance learning school.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Hi Dominika....from the ones you list I think you are inthe UK right?

Think Dog! are the courses run by Sarah Whitehead at The Clever Dog Company.....and she is very good as as her courses. But not sure how widely recognised they are.

Are you looking at being a trainer or a behaviourist.....or both? They are very very different but oif course overlap to an extent....but these courses you seem to be looking at are leaning more toward behaviour?

I am doing currently the APDT UK (which is VERY different to the APDT USA) Foundation Instructors Course. We had out first residential weekend back in March and I am now working through a load of coursework and essays...then we do our next reisdential weekend in August. Course ends around Jan time. I recommend the APDT UK - they have a very strong code of conduct, the course content is fab and coivers body language, stress and learning theories of course, as well as fab practical sessions, and they are widely recognised.
Dominika

Post by Dominika »

I'm based in the UK, that's right. Sorry, should've said but thought it was there with my username.....

I eventually want to become a behaviourist.

BUT it is very costly to do straight away so what I want to do is get some kind of a profesional canine instructor course so I can volunteer at rescues, doing training with their dogs. Then after a couple of years hopefully should be able to start a proper behaviour course. I'm hoping this would give me good experience for personal growth to.

This with the Cambridge Institute would cost me 2000 pounds. 500 for an introduction module and then 3 modules 500 each for the canine instructor course.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

I cant comment on the Cambridge school as I have not had any dealings with them.....have you looked at the APDT UK course? Admittedly they only do one a year and I am on this one so you would need to wait till next year...but they are very good and very well respected. If you search for them on internet make sure you get the UK page...the APDT USA one is VEEEERRRY different!

The Cambridge one does seem very expensive.....althpough I dont know the content. is it just a training instructor course? How long does it take? The APDT one for example, is £900 and is essentially 9/10 months.

I am also going to classes each week...observing and eventually assisting. Have just come back this evening actually....but I was very specific which classes I went to...I go to a lovely lady who is an APDT UK accredited instructor, does clicker training in her class, is very passionate about positive reinforcement and diet and how important it is etc. I only wanted to get experience at a class I agreed with and who teaches things in the way I agree with and have been taught. You dont want to just go to 'any' classes...a lot still use aversives (choke chains, leash jerks etc) and dont use reward based methods....so be selective. This is a great way to get experience....not only training dogs....but in training and dealiong with the owners which is a huge part of being a training instrcutor. You have to be able to communicate with the owners in a way that wont get their back up and that is easy to understand.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Oh hang on....is the Cambridge one associated with Colin Tennant??? If so then I would avoid! Below is a video of the guy who is head of the Cambridge Institute in 'action' teaching a class:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... BgZwjDXV1o
bendog

Post by bendog »

I didn't watch that with the sounds since I'm at uni and don't have my headphones, so I've no idea what was said but OMG!

Poor dog :(
And the guy is lucky he wasn't bitten.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

When I was researching training schools and behaviourists for Jasper APDT UK came out as the one to look for, to the extent that I would be wary of any trainer not mentioning it in their credentials or approach. I didn't come across any other organisations that struck me as worth looking out for. So from a business point of view, it would make sense to go for that one.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009