Alternative to those "lampshade" collars

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sarah83

Alternative to those "lampshade" collars

Post by Sarah83 »

Had Rupert back to the vets with his nail last night. Bad news is it isn't healing and is infected and if this next course of antibiotics doesn't clear it up they're going to look at removing the nail bed. Anyway, we're having an absolute nightmare of a time at the moment. He wants to lick it, he's not supposed to lick it. Therefore he's wearing one of those collars that stops them licking wounds. Unfortunately he's terrified to move while wearing it as he gets stuck on doors, furniture, bangs into us and makes us cry out in pain. I've tried a sock over the paw but he just licks it through the sock. Can anyone think of an alternative that will stop him licking but let him move a bit more freely?

I've tried telling him to leave it and he does every time but 5 minutes later he's back at it again. Plus if I'm asleep or not with him I can't tell him to leave it :?
ladybug1802

Re: Alternative to those "lampshade" collars

Post by ladybug1802 »

Oh poor Rupert :( When Dylan had his nail removed, the vet was great and made a little bootie for him as I had to keep it dry and that is not easy around here while giving him sufficient exercise. She got an old drip back, and threaded a ribbon type thing through the outside of it by cutting holes at the top.....so it would just fit over his little paw and then you tie the ribbon. I never actualkly used it as I started cycling with him every day along the cycle path, so he got a good run, which was dry. But it looks a great idea!

Or what about trying a thicker sock...like a hiking sock or one of those slipper sock things??
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

That was of course meant to say drip 'bag' not 'back'!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Sarah, I have instructions for making boots from Duck Tape if you would like them. Recently someone made them for a Greyhound who had been in an RTA and his foot was damaged, these boots did the job really well and he one made 1 pair. He did make them look like designer boots by threading bright coloured ribbon through the top. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I have seen a child's flotation collar round the neck of a dog to stop it licking, and it was much less fearsome than a "lampshade". Whether this would be enough to stop Rupert licking his paw I don't know - but might be worth a try.

If there is infection, my vet says MSM tablets are brilliant at moving it, and can safely be used with any other medicine. Find the human dose and scale down by size. I've just finished using some with our terrier that got bitten recently: she had one a day, and it worked a treat.

I don't know how big Rupert's foot is, but something like a huge hair curler or a big syringe case might be good taped over his foot, and would let the air get to it as well.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Please Mattie! I've tried a sock over his foot but he just licks at it and obviously it's not suitable for him to go outdoors in without me putting a bag over it and then he can't walk because of the scary, dog eating bag attached to his leg. Maybe I'll make him some designer boots :lol:

Someone on facebook has told me about comfy collars, basically an inflatable collar that just goes round their neck rather than enclosing their whole head. As luck would have it, they're out of stock of the size I need and apparently amazon (who DO have the size I need) are no longer delivering to my address :roll: Hadn't thought of a childs flotation collar, will have to look into them. I imagine they'd be about the right size for his neck. I'll look into MSM tablets, we'll be going shopping either tomorrow or Saturday so if I can find them I'll pick some up :D
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Yeah, that's the site I've tried ordering from,they're out of stock of the size I need. They link me to another collar but it's more than double the price and funds are a little tight right now thanks to car trouble.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

What about a toilet roll? Soft, protective, you could stick it to his fur with micropore or even bandage over it with vetrap to keep it in place, but would allow it to breathe and not be tight and annoying.

I think someone once made an alternative to the inflatable collars using a rolled up towel - you could try that but might be heavy if it needs to be big (can't remember how big Rupert is?)

You can also get flexible versions of the lampshade, I know partners pets sells them in the UK, trying to think what they are called.....

Just found this

http://www.procollars.co.uk/?gclid=COSx ... fAod_UpPeg

Have a look here, they have a variety of alternatives for you:

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Dog-Boots-an ... oducts/21/
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Thanks Horaces Mum, managed to get one ordered from that hyperdrug site. I think he'd just lick at whatever I put over the paw to be honest, he's even trying to lick his paw through the collar :(
Vicky+Oakley

Post by Vicky+Oakley »

you can get special boots designed to be waterproof, breathable and shaped so that he can walk still and he wont get to the paw to lick it...
this is just an example as there are loads: http://www.animalsource.co.uk/dog-boots ... -763-p.asp
hope its helped and Rupert gets better :) x