not eating first meal of the day help please!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Chance1214

not eating first meal of the day help please!

Post by Chance1214 »

SO! i have a wheaten terrier named Chance hes 15 months old, a great boy! if any of you know wheatens you know there SOOO picky with there food so it took a while before i finally was able to pin point the food he likes and will actually eat for his dinner finally i found Merrick canned dog food and mix that with some kibble and he chows down on this, i love there ingredients granny smith apples, i can READ there meats and they have beans and all diff veggies and other fresh foods in their food that makes me happy to feed this to him. but he wont eat for breakfast. ive tried giving him his canned food for breakfast and he ust smells it at first would sometimes take a bite and then just gave up on it concentrated on playing and watching out the windows not interested in eating in the mornings. he has chews to eat and treats when he's good during the day and i know i shouldnt but i leave a cup of his dry food out for him if he wants it during the day and very rarely hell go to it and take a few bites but its rare.
i would really like him to get the nutrients in the morning and that extra energy as well!
he gets a long walk in the morning usally two more in the afternoon and 2 more at night (one after dinner and one before bed)
i work from home so we're together mostly all the time.
any suggestions? would be so greatly appreciated!!! :) thanks so much!!!
maximoo

Re: not eating first meal of the day help please!

Post by maximoo »

As you already know take up the dry dog food. You are just wasting it. Btw is it Merrick kibble or something else? Next give 1/2 cup for dinner not whole cup and 1/2 for breakfast. Third walk her/play games before breakfast is offered. Dogs hunt for their food & are programmed to work/exercise upon waking to satisfy that hunting & migrating instinct. Does she like to dig? If you have a backyard, get a kiddie pool fill with sand/dirt & hide food in it so she has to work for her food.In the alternative get a large KONG stuff it real tight & freeze (put a little cheese or bits of hot dog for variety)She will have to work to get food out. Lastly, Keep feedings 12 hrs apart or as close as possible.

GOOD LUCK & keep us updated!
Chance1214

Post by Chance1214 »

the Merrick is th canned wet food i give a whole can of that and yea he is always walked first thing in the morning around 7 usually a nice long one its just been ridiculously cold out here and very snowy a couple feet on the ground at the moment so a bit shorter than the usual 45 minute morning walks lately for both our sakes!! he isnt into digging all that much actually, and quite picking with food so id love to try the Kongs though that's a great idea! that can be done with his wet food right? i just have to get him very interested in it ake it into a game then he'll be interested always looking to chase and pounce and be interactive
twice a day with one can would you recommend? hes about 32 lbs

thanks so much!! :)
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Yes one can is too much at one feeding, split it up. You can put in KONG but freeze it. What treats does he get, how often? That could also curb his appetite. Merrick makes kibble too have you ever tried it on him? There are samples you can get of many high quality kibble. Usually smaller pet stores or feed stores might have samples of brands like Taste of the WIld, Solid Gold, Wellness, Evo, etc. See if you can find a good kibble he likes.
Have a look at the DIET threads for more ideas. Also read "exercise the mind" thread --many games where dog works for his food are recommended.
Chance1214

Post by Chance1214 »

solid gold is the kibble that i said we were giving him in the morning that he does eat occasionaly buut the only food he really loves to eat in one sitting is the merrick lamb wet food, he's incredibly picky! wheatens are so once i found this i was so happy!! a food he ate!! :)

thanks so much for the feed back!!
Chance1214

Post by Chance1214 »

and for treats also took a while to find one he likes, and will actuallly stick with! he has chews that are around for him to have through out the day, hes a big chewer so that keeps his chewing under control.. like bully sticks and flossies and pigs ears.... after walks he gets natural balance meat roll the lamb meat one and when hes good such as i tell him to get off of something and he listens well or i am trimming his nails or osmething he doent like very much i use the tps ive learned on here... and we work on his training of course ive always used Victorias brand of training with him since he was a little pup .. what do you think of the natural balnce meat rolls? he really likes them... hes VERY picky with his fruits n veggies so its hard he used to like carrots not anymore only likes apples in his food or licking them the juice i guess, and frozen blueberry's i recently found when i eat them he likes thembut only in moderation... even hot dogs he comes and goes with!! it's tough will eat some veggies when i put some olive oil on my salad for some reason loves that olive oil
thinking of trying making a liver treat recipe i actually found on here actually hopefully he'll like that the fresh liver