dangers with meds

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ahilmes

dangers with meds

Post by ahilmes »

There is a drug out there called Ketamine that causes an allergic reaction in .5% of cases with pugs. My almost two years old pug/dachshund, Jade, was given this medication for a routine spayeding. They use this drug for smaller dogs. It cuts off the brain from the body so that when the dog awakes all the pain they feel is the pain post-surgery. Jade's surgery started with the pulling of one of her teeth, then they started her spaying. There wasnt any problems till they started to close her up, at this point she entered into cardic arrest. After 5 minutes, they got her back and rushed to finish the surgery to get her off the anesthesia. It left her little body stiff as a board, un-able to see, un-able to eat. I could go on describing the horrible sight before me when i finally got to see her, but after 6 months is it still hard to remember without starting to cry. After about a week at the vets, countless meds for her eyes, so they wouldnt dry out because she couldnt blink, muscle relaxers that make her like pudding in ur hands, and canned food watered down so we could syringe feed her, and now seperation anxiety medication since she still cant see that well. I just wanted the world to know the terrible but true story of this medication. Just so I'm not mis-understand, I by know means blame anyone for what happened to Jade, I just want to let people know the possible side effects of this drug with pugs. So, no one will have to go through or even see their pet the way I saw Jade.
wvvdiup1

Re: dangers with meds

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened with your dog, Ahilmes! :( But I have a question for you: Where did you get your information that Ketamine causes an allergic reaction in .5% of cases with pugs? I'm not doubting you, I just want to know.

From my research so far, Ketamine is used as an anesthetic that is used to put humans and animals "under" while they're being operated on/or surgery is performed, which is usually administered under low dosages. Higher dosages result in hallucinations, psychedelic visions, and neurological effects, however, even higher dosages cause death.

So far, I've found this link http://www.pugman.com/pug%20information ... initis.htm regarding the use of this drug on dog breeds such as pugs. Since I'm still researching, I may be adding more links about this at later times.

That link is under http://www.pugman.com/pug%20information/Surgery.htm

Other links:
http://blogs.dogtime.com/dolittler-blog ... pet-health
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 4-0072.pdf
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
ahilmes

Post by ahilmes »

The vet who did Jade's surgery was the one who told me about the .5%, right after she did her search for why it happened. I'm not sure where she got the info, but i can ask if you would like.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

If it won't cause you any trouble I would like to know. :) I did a little research, and thanks for the links, wvvdiup1!
--dontpugme
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Ahilmes wrote:
The vet who did Jade's surgery was the one who told me about the .5%, right after she did her search for why it happened. I'm not sure where she got the info, but i can ask if you would like.
Please do, Ahilmes! :D From all the research I've done so far, I haven't found any correlation that Ketamine causes allergic reactions to pugs. However, from what I have gathered in my research, I do have a theory, and this only a theory and I have no way of testing it at all, but what I think what does happen is that when humans and animals are under any kind of anesthetic, not only are ours and our pets' heart rate and brain functions are slow down to near death, but so are our and our pets' immunity systems as well. Even in so called "sterile environments" in which operating/surgery rooms are supposed to be, germs and bacteria can evolve to survive that kind of environment, which means there is no way that operating/surgery rooms are sterile. So, there's a good chance that your dog, or anyone else who has ever had what you've been through with their pets -or even humans who became sick or began to show symptoms of allergies and what have you- had got it from the operating/surgery room or by another agent such as another animal or human.

Does this make any sense to you?

I wonder if this should be hypothesis instead of theory, since it is just an educated guess on my part? Then again, from what I've read, it seems this is one of the many drugs that have been retested and to be found that Ketamine is made somewhat different from company to company. Hmmm...!!!!
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

I think Marcuss post is 'lost in translation'.. :shock:
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I agree Runlikethewind! :lol: Crap happens! :lol:
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

Have you found any more information on this drug, Sandy?
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

CoolDog wrote:
Have you found any more information on this drug, Sandy?
Not any more than what is known at this time, Cathy, but I'm still researching, so you never know what will come out of this research about this drug! :?